Monday, September 4, 2017

We won't be going back to the Hollywood Bowl

Last year Keith and I went to see John Williams conduct the LA Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl. It was one of the worst experiences ever, and we were really excited to go again this year actually be able to hear some of the music. We both vowed to really enjoy the show and to try to ignore anything that could possibly be annoying. We weren't going to let anything ruin our evening! We were going to have fun no matter what!

We won't be going back.

On Saturday evening we packed up our car and began the hour and a half drive down to one of the coolest outdoor concern locations ever - The Hollywood Bowl. It was hot. It was over 100 and there was lots of humidity and I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I tend to sweat really really easily. I used to buy this antiperspirant stuff that you rolled on in the evening and then it dried and clogged your pores and you didn't sweat the next day. It didn't work and I haven't seen it in any stores in a few years so I'm assuming it got recalled because it doesn't sound that safe. Anyway, so we got there and walked to our seats and it was super hot and sticky but it was so pretty! And we had a lot of food! And my hair stayed curled!


Last year I dropped my bottle of wine before I even had a chance to drink it, so this year I brought stacked wine. It was genius! I also packed a cheese ball, some Brie, Gouda, colby jack, triscuits, pita chips, hummus, other crackers, grapes, strawberries, chocolate covered carmel corn, beer, two kinds of salami, and chicken salad. For two people. We hardly made a dent in any of it! But that just means we have snacks for the whole week so I'm counting it as a win.
The weather wouldn't have been so bad if there had been any kind of wind. But the air was just still and sticky. There was a family two rows in front of us who had brought hand held fans (lots of people did that and if you ever go, you should take one) and the two older women in front of us actually asked them to borrow it! Even more surprising - they said yes! So this older lady in front of me was fanning herself and her friend and I was able to position myself so I could feel some of it. That was fun.


Just after the lights dimmed and the first conductor (David Newman) was walking onto the stage to begin the show, the women in front of us asked us to take their picture. Because you know, the past hour when it had been light outside and nothing had been happening wasn't a good time. It was a better plan to wait until the show was starting. After Keith took the picture (with the flash) she proceeded to sit there and look at the picture - as the show was starting. I just don't understand that?

David Newman led songs from A Star is Born, 1969, and some other movies that I didn't recognize. It was all so beautiful! I love symphonies so much.

Then, what we'd all been waiting for - John Williams!

This guy is crazy. He came out onto the stage wearing a long sleeved black sweater. IN 100 DEGREE HEAT. Hehehe, that John Williams is a genius and a total psycho.

After playing a few songs from Sabrina and Star Wars, Mr. Williams began talking about how a few years ago he met Kobe Bryant and then Kobe wrote a poem and then he wrote music to go along with it. Then he brought out Kobe Bryant and had him read his poem while there was some animation on the screen and music playing in the background. I don't care about Kobe, the Lakers, or basketball in general but this made me tear up. Just thinking about a 6 year old boy having a dream and then achieving that dream despite all the odds and hold on, let me get a tissue.

My favorite part of the show is when the Star Wars songs are playing and you can see all the light sabers waving in the air. As long as the light sabers don't have any sound effects, they're amazing! It gives me the chills to watch this video.

We took another sweaty selfie.

There were two encores. After the regular show ended, John Williams walked off stage and stayed in the wings for about 10 seconds and then walked back out, but when he left the second time I don't even think he stopped in the wings at all before walking right back out!

We waited about 20 minutes to head to the car to see if the crowd would dissipate and we could get out of the stacked parking sooner, but that didn't work. We still had to wait in the car for about 40 minutes before we could even move! But we were in air conditioning and had snacks, so we weren't complaining.


The reason we won't be going back to this venue has nothing to do with the actual venue or with John Williams or with the LA Phil. It's the people. It's a pretty casual venue so I think most people have no problem whispering to each other and having whole conversations during the music. The ladies in front of us even got up and left during one of the songs! We decided that if we're going to spend a significant amount of money to watch something that is really important to us, we need to do it in a setting that doesn't really allow for talking and eating. While to us it doesn't seem like it's asking too much for people to basically sit down and be quiet, this probably just isn't the venue to expect that.

So, we won't be going back. At least not for a symphony. This year was worlds better than last year, though! And we really did enjoy our time and are so thankful we got to go! We will treasure this memory forever. And if you hear of any John Williams shows in the greater LA or Inland Empire area that are indoors, holla atcha girl.

2 comments:

  1. This past week has been entirely too hot to do anything outside so I give you a round of applause for venturing to LA in that heat, ick. I have only been to the Greek for country concerts and I don't think I was able to bring anything in, which is a total bummer. I guess you'll just have to get dressed up and go to the symphony indoors, where they have air conditioning and mean ladies who scold others for talking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I tried that deodorant in high school too 😂. I think it was called certain dry?! People are the worst, sorry they ruined your experience!

    ReplyDelete