Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Let's talk television: what can go vs. what can stay

Five TV shows that jumped the shark

1. Grey's Anatomy. 
This is the number one show that needs to end. It jumped the shark long ago, even before Derek was killed off. How many more tragedies can the employees and patients of Seattle Grace, I mean Seattle Grace Mercy West, I mean Grey Sloan Memorial, endure? A shooting? Check. A bomb? Check. A plane crash? Check. An almost plane crash? Check. I still watch this show every week but only out of obligation and a fear of having multiple episodes pile up on my DVR because I know I wouldn't make it through all of them. I was pretty disappointed to find out this show had been renewed.

2. The Big Bang Theory.
How many scientist jokes are there in the world?? Apparently enough for this show to have been renewed for two more seasons. We get it, CBS, Sheldon is a socially awkward genius, Leonard is too good for Penny, and Raj's soulmate is Cinnamon. LET IT GO.

3. Once Upon A Time.
This show confuses me. I skipped a couple of seasons in the middle and didn't watch any of the ... spinoffs? Is that what you call the "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland" type of shows? I don't care enough to find out. Sadly, I think this show is going to continue for a long time because there are a bunch of characters who haven't been introduced and why would ABC skip out on an opportunity to make more money?

4. Arrested Development.
I just saw that another season of Arrested Development is coming in 2018. NOOOO. America, this is why we can't have nice TV shows: because once we find a TV show we like, we run it into the ground and then beat up on it until it's unrecognizable. I loved seasons 1-3 of this show, and I was excited when season 4 came out but I couldn't make it all the way through. It wasn't good at all! I'm dreading season 5.

5. Law and Order.
This show is only on here because I really want to watch every episode of this show and as long as new episodes keep coming out I'll never be able to fulfill that dream.

Five TV shows I'm loving

1. Survivor.
CBS is winning with this show. I love it and look forward to every season! When a show has been on for as long as Survivor and it's still drawing people in every week, you know you're doing something right. This season was especially good with all the new twists that were added. If you're not watching this show, you're not living your life the right way.

2. Better Call Saul.
YOU GUYS. I loved Breaking Bad and this show might be just as good. I'm especially loving the introduction to characters we knew from Breaking Bad. I get so excited when I recognize somebody and realize how everybody was connected before Walter White became Heisenberg!

3. The Handmaid's Tale.
Ok, technically this is a Hulu original, but I'm still adding it on here. I renewed my Hulu subscription specifically for this show. It's fascinating! And creepy. I thought it was set in colonial times and was shocked to find out that wasn't the case. I never read the book or saw the movie that came out in the 90s, so this whole story is new to me. It's different from anything else that I'm watching.

4. Jeopardy.
Yep. I love this show and I record every episode. Keith and I even have a drinking game!
Drink whenever:
-Alex Trebek is condescending
-Alex Trebek speaks in an accent
-You answer a question incorrectly
With only those three rules it's a dangerous dangerous game.

5. This Is Us.
Yep, I love this show. I'm hoping it doesn't go the way of Grey's Anatomy and that I continue to enjoy it. I don't mind that every week is a cliffhanger and that we still don't know how Jack died. That's fine. It still sucks me in every episode! I could do without the Mandy Moore is a singer storyline, though. WE GET IT, MANDY. YOU CAN SING. OKAY.

Do you agree with my lists? Are there any shows you would add or remove?

11 comments:

  1. I love Once Upon a Time, but I've seen on social media lately that a bunch of actors are not coming back (mainly Snow, Charming, & Emma). So what's the point?!? To me, the show will make no sense without them! I haven't watched the season finale yet, but I'm feeling like things probably didn't wrap up nicely to just go ahead and call it quits. Which means, we'll have to endure a crappy season before they realize this won't work after all and end the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I hadn't heard that. It doesn't seem like they'd be able to continue the show without those characters, so I'm curious what they're going to do! We are still about 9 episodes behind (I heard there's a musical episode coming up??) and really no part of me wants to keep watching!

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure I'm the only human alive still watching Greys. I JUST CANT QUIT IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM THE SAME WAY. I don't even LIKE it anymore but I can't stop watching. I spend each episode thinking, "This is dumb this is dumb this is dumb."

      Delete
  3. SO happy to see someone else who watches Better Call Saul. I thought I was the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it! I love the filming style (Keith isn't a big fan) and I get so sucked into it! Mike Ermentraut (no idea how to spell it but I think there's an "h" in there somewhere) is my favorite!

      Delete
  4. If Grey's went on forever and ever, I wouldn't be sad. I just love it. And, I think everyone has stepped up their game since Derek died... the writers, the actors, the music editors, everyone.

    This Is Us is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need you to tell me more of these things about Grey's because then maybe I won't dread Thursday nights???

      Delete
  5. So I wanted to launch into a story then realized I don't know if I've ever commented on your blog before which would make my randomness extra strange??? so, hi! I'm Kate and I've been quietly reading your blog for a while and find you just delightful. Now on to the random:

    I picked up the Handmaid's Tale a few years ago when I was living in Cambridge, MA. I always walked to work and somehow I turned the setting of the book into the colonial-looking streets of Cambridge (I guess I also pictured it colonial like you). I literally managed to merge everything into my daily scenery, including Harvard's campus which I cut through frequently as a shortcut. Well halfway through the book, I decided to google it a bit and low and behold, Margaret Atwood set the book in a future dystopia BASED ON Cambridge!! Like, actual Cambridge and Harvard! I felt so smug that I somehow had pictured it and then magically I was right?! Anyway, there you have it. I haven't started the Hulu adaptation yet but I'm planning to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I'm glad you're here!!

      That's so crazy and cool that you pictured it exactly right! I'm impressed... I wish that had happened to me. Also, I'm jealous that you got to live there... I've never been but based on pictures it looks amazing and I would LOVE to be able to take that walk every day!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh yes to ending Greys Anatomy. I keep watching for the same reason! I'm scared if I don't I'll never catch back up. Also we record Jeapordy every single day too!! Better call Saul is my favorite show right now! It is totally as good as Breaking Bad, the acting is so good.

    ReplyDelete