I've been a part of throwing several holiday parties over the years. I've been in charge of decorating, in charge of the food, in charge of the entertainment... and through it all, I've come to realize that there are certain things you absolutely must have in order to make your holiday feast a smashing success.
1) Appetizers. I really wanted to say "apps and zerts" and be like Tom Haverford from Parks and Rec, but I refrained. You're welcome. Usually your guests will arrive to your party/feast before everything is totally ready to be set on the table, and if that's the case you have to keep your guests happy! The best way to do this is to have delicious appetizers. A great appetizer is vegetables or crackers paired with Boar's Head hummus. The best part about this hummus? It comes in 9 delicious different flavors!
2) Stunning decor . I personally love these placemats that a co-worker made for me as a wedding gift. They're especially perfect for holiday parties! Your guests will want to see decor that fits the holiday you're celebrating, and this red and white is perfect for Christmas!
3) Great music. It's important to have something playing in the back ground just in the off chance that there's a lull in conversation. Chances are your party will be amazing and lacking in lulls, but you never know. Make sure you check out my Twitter poll for the worst Christmas song ever.
Poll time!! What is actually the worst Christmas song?— Jay T (@OtherJuliette) December 6, 2016
4) Games. Ok ok ok, I realize that games aren't everyone's cup of tea. But take my word for it: they're fun! We typically play games at my family holiday parties. Everything from pictionary to poem contests to holiday trivia contests! The winner gets to wear some kind of festive hat for the remainder of the evening, and it's a hat that only comes out during these special feasts, so everybody realizes just how important it is to win!
5) Napkins. I mean come on, I can't be the only messy eater, right?
6) Artistic displays. I love seeing how people arrange their food. Everybody does it so differently! Also, did you know that Boar's Head hummus makes a perfect (and delicious!) accent to an appetizer plate??