Sunday, July 17, 2016

When Nebraska gave me a second degree burn

*Warning: This post contains far too many pictures of my legs*

At the end of June Keith and I went on vacation to the Midwest with his parents to visit his mom's parents. The trip was a ton of fun and I came home with a renewed appreciation for two things: weather with little to no humidity and sunscreen.

About halfway through our trip Keith, his dad, and I went to Game 3 of the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. I'll be honest with you: I didn't know the College World Series existed until a day or two before we went, but I love baseball so why would I turn down the chance to go to this game? Plus, Keith had bought me a shirt specifically for the occasion and I how rude would it be to let that shirt go to waste?


I bought that hat right before the game because it was only $5 and tbh I only bought it because it says "Cats" on it. I had no idea Arizona's baseball team is named the Wildcats.
Our seats were perfect, and by that I mean our seats were in the shade. It was a beautiful day, it was an exciting game, and we had ice cream at 10am so what wasn't to love?


Then, things changed. We moved seats and sat directly behind the dugout and directly in the aim of the blazing Nebraska sun. Things were fine until about the 6th inning, when I started to feel a little uncomfortable. It was about that time that I realized I wasn't wearing sunscreen on my bare legs, and I started to notice a little red tint. I put a shirt over my legs for the rest of the game but it was too late, I was already screwed.


When your legs are already this red after only a few hours, you know you're going to have a bad time.


They were super red but not all that painful yet so I wasn't too concerned. Idiot. The next day we went golfing and I made sure to wear sunscreen but did you know the trick to getting sunscreen to work is to reapply it if you're going to be in the sun for more than an hour or two? We were outside for like 5 hours and I was wearing shorts again, so I got a sunburn on top of my sunburn.

That night, my legs looked like this:


I got the original sunburn on Thursday, we went golfing on Friday, and by Saturday night I started quite literally feeling the burn. On Sunday morning when we were on our way to the airport I started seriously considering the least painful way to actually saw my legs off. I  even had A BLISTER. It's small, but it's there.


The most pain was when I was standing still or when I tried to sit down or stand up. Walking wasn't all that bad and sitting wasn't too bad, thankfully, because we had to be on a plane and in a car for almost all of Sunday.

On our way to the airport I noticed that my legs had started to swell. Like, pretty bad. Like, to the point where my ankles were hurting because my socks and shoes felt too tight on my cankles.


We finally made it off the plane and through the 5 hours car ride to Keith's parents house where we were staying that night, and after letting a cold towel soak on the worst part of my burn for an hour, I went to bed. The next day I survived another 5 hour car ride and for the next few days I just tried to keep my legs elevated and away from anything that would possibly touch them.

They started to get splotchy...



And a blister popped...


And then I started to peel. When it first started peeling I was like, "These are the most amazing peels I've ever experienced. It's just like when I used to peel glue off my hands in elementary school!" but then 7 seconds later I was like "MY SKIN IS ACTUALLY ON FIRE I LITERALLY JUST FLAYED MYSELF." It was horrible.




So now it's been 2 1/2 weeks since the initial sunburn and it's almost gone. My arms finally look normal again and my legs are only a little painful and the skin is almost done flaking off. I swear, I'm exfoliating them every day and moisturizing them but the flaking just will not stop!

The moral of the story is that you should always wear sunscreen even if you're in the Midwest. When people first saw the burn on my arms they were like, "OMG where were you that you got this awful sunburn??" And when I'm like, "Uhh, Nebraska and Iowa," they're like, "......."

And if you ever get a sunburn make sure you have aloe vera gel, ibuprofen, and people around you who can put up with incessant whining and pieces of your peeled thigh skin all over the place.

6 comments:

  1. That is probably one of the craziest sunburns I've ever seen. I remember when I lived in Wyoming, the first time I went out into the sun my scalp got sunburned. The sun in the mid-west is no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN! That is like ... one of the most crazy sunburns I've ever seen and lady, i live at the beach, i KNOW sunburns ... gracious! Please tell me you had some aloe ....omg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw most of these photos on Snapchat, and girl, I feel so bad for you! I never do something outside without sunscreen... Sunburns hurt too bad. I hope you learned! Because seriously, that looks way painful. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need an aloe vera plant. A real, live aloe vera plant. I had a sunburn that bad once. It hurt so bad that I could barely handle putting any weight on one of my legs because my muscle was actually affected by the burn. I lived like that for three days before someone told me to snap off a piece of the aloe vera plant we had in the back yard. Within HOURS it was so much better. It happened so quickly I practically could have watched it heal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happened to me in Florida 6 years ago. I was out in the sun for like 7 hours and I was like "NO SUNSCREEN, I WANT ALL OF THE TANS!" But I was casper and I burnt to a crisp and I had the most epic skin peeling, but like your legs it hurt like the dickens after I pulled my entire upper arm skin off. Literally the worst thing ever. Now I have tons and tons of freckles on my upper arms. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, it looks so painful. I glad you are feeling better. Sometimes, I skip the sunscreen. I don't think I will do that anymore. Have a good week. -Crystal

    ReplyDelete