Thursday, August 6, 2015

When a job just isn't worth it

I earned my first actual paycheck starting at 11 years old. When my brother left for college I got to take over his paper route, and I have fond memories of hanging onto the back of my parents' station wagon while my mom drove me through the mobile home parks in our little town, slowing down at all the right homes so I could toss a paper in the driveway or hop off to "porch" the paper. It was a twice-a-week route, and for an 11 and 12 year old I made pretty good money.

When I was 15 I got my first "real" job where I punched a time clock and had co-workers and learned the hard way that a bad work environment can be draining both mentally and physically. Thankfully I only worked there for about 6 months, and then I smashed my hand through a window and went off to live on a bus for 3 months (another story for another time).

Since then, I've enjoyed most of my jobs. I've had some pretty cool jobs and I've had some pretty crappy jobs, and I just want to tell you that some jobs just aren't worth it. So because I'm so kind and generous, here's a list of things that, if you agree with one or more of them, mean you need a new job like, yesterday.


...If you cry at work multiple times a week purely because of work and not because of hormones or the fact that you just watched an episode of Parenthood, you should probably quit your job.

...If you stay up really late at night because you know the sooner you go to sleep the sooner you have to go to work and you just want to put it off as long as possible, you should probably quit your job.

...If the employees at 7-eleven make more money than you per hour and you would rather be refilling slurpee machines for half what you make now because you hate your job so much, you should probably quit.

...If you're afraid to complete any task given to you because you know your boss will find something wrong with the finished product no matter what, you should probably quit your job.

...If your boss does nothing but criticize you and blame the company's failures on you even though you're not responsible for any of it, you should probably quit your job.

...If your job makes you an angry, cynical, bitter person, you should probably quit.

...If you've ever said the words, "My job is sucking my soul out of me," you should probably quit.

...If your job is not fulfilling you or making you feel good about yourself and the work you're doing, you should probably quit.

...If your boss has cut your hours down to 8/week, you should probably quit.

...If your boss sends you emails at 4am and expects them to be read and responded to before you've even gotten to work, you should probably quit your job.

Obviously you shouldn't quit your job if you have nothing else lined up. I did that once. In the middle of a shift I went to the parking lot with the assistant manager, sat on a curb, and sobbed about how miserable I was. I never went back. The next couple of months sucked royally but I will always feel that quitting that job was one of the best decisions I ever made.

The job I have now is stressful and busy and exhausting, but I love it. The people are great, the work is fulfilling, and I never dread going to work. If you hate your job, if your job is making you miserable, if you dread Mondays with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, change your circumstances. Just do it.

10 comments:

  1. I said yes to about five of these in regard to my last job. Thankfully I got a new job and pray to the good Lord above that I don't feel any of these things in the new place. Because if I do I may just have to find a whole new career! lol This was spot on BTW...well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said yes to my previous job also. I miss it, but I think there's a reason I'm not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quit my last job because of many of the reasons you wrote above. Now, I don't currently jump out of the bed excited for my current job, but I'm much more appreciated and happy here than I was before. Having someone beat you down every day for no reason isn't worth it! I used to compare my old boss to an emotionally abusive boyfriend so ... probably not good. Thank God that's over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. I quit my last job before I had my current job lined up. I hated it and I had grown to hate everyone I worked with. On my last day, the assistant manager asked what they could do to keep me and I remember looking her in the eye and saying "You could quit instead because you're the reason I am leaving." I have never felt guilty about saying that to her face as she made my life miserable for 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to hate -- no, to absolutely DESPISE a job to the point where it affects your entire life and makes you a depressed and miserable person. It's NOT worth it. I know we all work because we need an income but at what cost?! It sounds weird to say this but I got lucky and the company/job I hated had lay-offs and I was let go as a result...it was the absolute BEST thing that ever happened to me. I started blogging and also found the job I have now, which I love. Great post! More people need to know these things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been pretty lucky in that I've only had one job that was actual miserable and I cried and hated it. You really do need to like what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moly I agree. I curently work 12-13 hour challenging days, but I LOVE it! Well not the hours, that kinda sucks, but I love my job and the work I'm doing for those 12 hours. If I didn't I'd rather be an unemployed drain on my parents lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to everything! I've learned so much from all my workplaces that I won't stand for any crap or shitty workplaces anymore. I'm so glad I left my previous job and found my current one - great managers, awesome co workers, good environment and pace, etc. etc. I honestly believe that if you don't mind coming into work on any given day, your job is grand then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I've been on your blog and I have to say that this is the PERFECT post for me right now. I think I probably should have quit my job yesterday and I especially relate to the crying because of job and not Parenthood, avoiding sleep to postpone work, and the soul sucking.

    It's so hard to find a job that both a) pays decently and b) isn't soul sucking. I've currently got A without B. But I'm starting to think I'd rather have it the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying so hard to find a new job. I've been at it for awhile and I'm getting nowhere and it's really making me feel crazy and stabby.

    ReplyDelete