Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: The Honeymoon

Well, it happened. We booked our honeymoon!! In all fairness though, I should say that Keith booked our honeymoon. I had just about less than nothing to do with it, which is just the way I like it. I'm not a good planner (which is evidence by the fact that our wedding is 6.5 weeks away and I haven't sent out invitations yet) and the thought of coordinating flights, choosing the best deal, figuring out hotels.... it all just makes my head hurt. Keith, on the other hand, is great at it. It seems like he enjoys it, too, which makes it a win-win.

We had a really hard time deciding about the honeymoon. The most popular honeymoon destinations are all inclusive beach resorts or cruises, which are lower than low on our list of "things that sound like fun." Mostly we wanted to go somewhere we wouldn't be able to go for a weekend getaway. Our dream honeymoon was Italy, but there was just no way that was going to happen, because of money. We discussed New England (I've never been there and I'm dying to go), Canada, Costa Rica, and Thailand. Those all got nixed once Keith came up with the idea that beat out all the others.

Wanna know where we're going? Ok fine. Let me know if you're able to figure it out from just the gif:


We're going to Turkey - for two weeks! Well, Turkey and surrounding areas. Mostly Turkey, though. I decided to make a very professional looking map highlighting our route and where we're going.


The day after the wedding we're driving 4 hours to LAX, and going from LA to Paris to Athens. I'm really enjoying telling people we're going to Paris on our honeymoon.

After Athens we're going to Izmir, Capodocea, Kayseri, Ephesus, and then Istanbul. Apparently we're going to be really busy the first week of the trip, flying places and exploring, then flying another place and exploring, then flying again and you get the picture. Once we're in Istanbul Keith says we slow down a bit, and we hang out there and I feel like I'm missing some places. After Istanbul I know we're stopping in Budapest (which is in Hungary which is Southeast of Germany and NOT north of Germany like I originally thought) and then heading home. But first we have a TWELVE HOUR LAYOVER in Moscow. And we will not be exploring Moscow because 1) we're getting there in the middle of the night, and 2) to leave the airport you have to spend like $250 on a visa and there's just no way that's happening.

When Keith first told me he booked our flights (there are eight of them) to Turkey I was like


and then people said to me, "You know Turkey is in the Middle East and kinda close to Syria" I was more like,


and then I found out about the 13 hours flights and 12 hour layover and I immediately knew what my face would look like on the plane:


but then Keith told me that we're taking a hot air balloon ride in Capodocea and I was a confusing mix of excited and terrified.


I'm absurdly excited for our honeymoon - all my married friends who told me that "about a month before you'll just be ready for all the planning and stuff to be done so you can go on your honeymoon" were definitely right.

BUT.

I'm an inexperienced traveler. The last time I was on a plane was almost ten years ago, and I don't think I've ever been on one for longer than four hours. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRAVEL.

What do you do on a plane for 13 hours? Should I take a sleeping pill? Or four? Should I trust the airplane quesadilla I've been promised or will that just send me to the airplane bathroom?

How big of a chance is there that while sitting on the toilet, I'll get sucked out? That would be a bad way to go.

Will they give me a pillow and blanket? Is it highly probable that the pillow will be invested with lice?

What do I wear in Turkey in the fall? I think sundresses are frowned upon because of religion. Are long khaki shorts the worst idea ever? I tried some on at the Gap the other day and when I looked in the mirror I felt like all I needed was a fanny pack.

How am I supposed to pack for a 2 week trip? I take three bags with me when I go visit my parents for a weekend.

Will I still be able to post to Instagram? What about Twitter? And Facebook? Is there internet in the Middle East?

Should I capitalize all three words, like The Middle East, or is the Middle East correct?

I appreciate all of your advice thank you very much.

23 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! Turkey! Yes! And what people who are ignorant don't know and don't tell you is that turkey is also prt of Europe- not the Middle East. Okay. Just part of it is -- when you go to Istanbul you can take a boat ride down the river and to one side is Europe and one side is Asia. Turkey really is trying to become a part of the European Union but they do have some issues- in a part of the county far from where you are traveling to. I will never forgive myself that I didn't do the hot air balloon ride in turkey. I did a 7 day cruise down the Turkish coast -- ps turkey is so named bc of the turquoise waters of its coast! In other words- it's beautiful. You can wear whatever there but if you go into mosques (you should, in instanbul) you will have to cover up but they provide something.im pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I wore shorts the entire time. And then bathing suits bc I was on a boat. So if the area you're going has a lot of tourists it's fine. I did see a lot of women wearing head scarves in instanbul but it seemed more like a fashion statement than religious.

      For the plane ride-- I'm afraid of taking sleeping pills so instead I just drink. Alcohol is free on international flights. Yes they will give you a pillow and blanket. I would wear really comfortable clothes, have some sort of pillow and eye mask. If you can swing it - NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES saved my life!! They cancel all the noise of the engine so I can actually almost sleep on flights. Maybe register for them? Lol.

      Ok- longest comment ever. I'm so excited for you. Turkey is so cool and totally underrated bc all our news does is show parts that make it look bad. When I went everyone was very concerned even though it's more dangerous to travel to certain areas of Mexico & no one has a problem going there!

      Delete
    2. We'll take a lot of pictures on the hot air balloon ride!! I'm trying not to be too terrified of it because it sounds so cool. And I didn't know that's how Turkey got its name! *The more you know* I really appreciate this long comment, seriously!!!!

      Also, Mexico scares me more than Turkey! ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG! I've never been to Turkey but I've always REALLY wanted to!!! You definitely should be able to use the internet there. Also, I never eat meat on the plane but I eat the other stuff. Get a travel pillow they're the BEST. Also, have so much fun <3 I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok good I'm going to rely heavily on the internet!! What's the problem with airplane meat? Is this something I should already know???

      Delete
  3. Only asking because I'm dumb. But why is Italy so expensive, but traveling on 8 flights all over less? That sounds super rude, but I promise it's not. I'm honestly curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the little flights after the one to Athens are dirt cheap. I'm talking like $30-$40! And hotels and things like that are a lot cheaper than in Italy too, so that's how it works out!! It confused me at first too. Actually it still confuses me but that's why he's in charge of the planning.

      Delete
  4. oh my god! I'm super excited for y'all! that sounds like an incredible trip! I wrote a post about jet lag. But here's my two cents- try to sleep on the plan as much as possible then when you get to your destination- follow their sleep schedule. You'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'll check out that post. I'm nervous for the jet lag because I tend to get a little cranky when I'm tired!

      Delete
  5. Words cannot express my jealousy over your insanely amazing honeymoon. I'd ask if I could come too, but I feel like that might cross some sort of line? The internet says the Middle East's (The Middle East's?) weather is like 60s-70s soooooo.......jeans and layered tops? I don't know, I can barely dress myself most days. Yes sleeping pill on the plane, no you won't get sucked out of the airplane toilet (probably), and I highly recommend that you pack some protein bars for the plane (both ways) too. Oh, and Instagram is a yes, anywhere there's Wi-Fi.

    I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PROTEIN BARS IS SO SMART. We're going to be walking a LOT and I'm nervous I'll be too sweaty in jeans. But what if I'm too cold in short?!? WHY IS LIFE SO HARD.

      Delete
  6. So exciting!!! I don't really have any advice for you so you're welcome. Just have fun and soak it all in!! I mean, best advice ever?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU I PLAN TO DO JUST THAT! :)

      Delete
  7. Woohoo for picking a honeymoon spot! Turkey sounds like fun, minus all the traveling, but it'll be fun because you'll be married!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so good to have this decided!!!! I agree that it will be fun because we'll be married :)

      Delete
  8. WOW! This is such a cool honeymoon! For the long flights I've been on (U.S. to Germany and Italy to U.S.) the planes gave you pillows, blankets and best of all, each seat had it's own TV, with movies and games on it! And we were just in economy. Definitely plan on sleeping pills if you can sleep on planes (I can't) and bring a couple good books, games, etc. to keep you occupied if you can't sleep. You will probably be so excited that you will enjoy it more than you think! I'm so jealous, you are going to see so much of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I GET MY OWN TV??? I did not know that. SWEET. I'm so excited because I really haven't seen very much of the world. I've been to a lot of the States but never out of the country!!

      Delete
  9. Sleeping pills, yes, from your dr. No longer knockout pills like the old days, you will wake up rested and fresh. A word of caution: some churches and mosques have a strict policy of no bare legs or arms or chests! A shawl thing in your tote can supply you with the cover-up you need. A few times I saw tank-top folks sitting on church steps while their friends toured inside and they did say they weren't allowed in. Coolest honeymoon. Congratulations. Now mail those invitations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I just got a nice light scarf the other day so I'll take it with me and hopefully it will solve those problems!! (We're doing the invitations SOON, I promise!)

      Delete
  10. The gif is my worst nightmare! Your honeymoon sounds like a great trip! I love that you guys nixed the all-inclusive beach idea. I'm sure places like that are great, but... Europe. #nocontest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah that's such an awesome and unique honeymoon! We've been looking into Budapest lately and want to go so bad. I wrote a post on how I deal with long haul flights (I've had my fair share since moving down under) but I'm too lazy to look up the link. Can't wait to read about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! What an awesome bunch of cities! I'm trying to plan a trip for later this year including Budapest! The return flight I'm looking at has a stop through Moscow but only 4 hours, and I learned about that ridiculous visa to leave the airport - even just for a few hours. WOMP! Going there you prob won't get much sleep because of excitedness, but coming back I'm sure you'll conk out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're going to have so much FUN! I can't wait to get back to Istanbul. (I hope you bought the Rick Steves guidebook!)

    ReplyDelete