Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: Our Engagement Pictures

A little over five years ago, I worked at a bridal salon selling wedding dresses. Through that job I met Lydia Messenger, a photographer in Southern California. She photographed the weddings of a few friends, and I enthusiastically recommended her services to many of my brides. I remember when I moved to San Luis from Southern California, I thought, "Well, I guess now I'll never get to have Lydia photograph my wedding!" As you all know, last October I moved back down to Southern California to be with Keith, and when we got engaged one of the first things I did was e-mail Lydia and ask if she would shoot our engagement session. I'm so glad she did our shoot and I'm so excited to share some of the photos with you today!!

Don't worry, there are only 130 so this shouldn't take too long. JK JK JK I'm only sharing some of them. You all owe me one.

I'm a huge procrastinator by nature, and it's one of my major faults. If I'm at a restaurant I'll insist on being the last person to order so I can put off ordering for as long as possible. I was the student in college who was finishing my papers 3 minutes before they were due. And for our engagement session, I was looking up pictures I liked on Pinterest the night before the shoot, and I was picking out my outfit and Keith's outfit 30 minutes before we had to leave.

That's called being ON THE BALL. Or, wobbling on the ball trying not to fall off. Whatever.

To be honest, I was really nervous about the session. I'm pretty comfortable in front of a camera, but I've never taken romantic pictures before, and Keith and I aren't the typical "hold each other's face and whispering sweet nothings all tenderly" couple. We're sarcastic, and silly, and not into PDA. I really wanted our pictures to reflect that.

I have to give a ton of credit to Lydia - as soon as we got there I felt so at ease! She made the whole shoot SO much fun and we had a blast! So if you're in the Southern California area and need pictures done I highly recommend Lydia. And you know that's genuine because she doesn't even know I have a blog and she didn't ask me to say this, I just think she's the best and would love for everyone to get to work with her!

Also, I was using this new BB cream that day (and I HATED IT) and the makeup had rubbed off of my nose before we even started shooting, and you can't even tell. When I realized I looked like Rudolph right before we were about to take our pictures I was pretty mad, but Lydia saved the day and I can't thank her enough.

Was that enough of an intro before we get to the pictures? Did you even read anything?


Remember how I said I was nervous about the intimate poses? Well, Lydia is just awesome and I love how these turned out.




This is one of my favorites because the hand on the face + the kiss on the forehead is like... the best thing ever.



I asked if we could bring the dogs and Lydia was all for it, and I'm glad because these are some of our favorite pictures! Before we got the pictures back Keith kept saying, "I can't wait to see our pictures!" and I was like, "Awww really? That's sweet," and he'd reply "Well yeah, the ones with the dogs are gonna be so cute!!!" So I'd roll my eyes and then be like, "OH MY GOSH I KNOW."


Part of the reason I love the dog pictures so much is because of how I used to feel about dogs. Two years ago (ish) I wrote a post about things I don't like, and dogs made the list. I hated their fur, their slobber, their barking, the inconvenience of having a dog, and I even said out loud to multiple people: "Whoever I marry better not want dogs because I'll NEVER live with a dog. EVER!" I just think it's so funny and cool how you really can't predict the future, and how when you really love somebody you can learn to love what they love.


These next photos I like to refer to as the "Devil Wears Prada" photos, because of what happened when we looked at the pictures. I was downloading some to put on Facebook and I download several that looked pretty similar but with small differences, and Keith said, "But those all look the same!" And I wanted to call him Andi Sachs, hold up two blue belts, and reply:


She also took some individuals of us, and I'm dying to get the one of Keith printed out so I can frame it and put it on my desk and also keep it in my wallet. When Keith saw my portrait he said, "It looks like a Macy's ad," and I looked at him like, "MACY'S???" And he said, "What?? I just called you a MODEL!" And I patted him on the head and was like, "You're adorable."

Since our favorite baseball teams are rivals, it seemed only right to take some pictures in our jerseys, and I'm SO GLAD we did!! I love these pictures (especially since the Dodgers are currently in first place SUCK IT) so much!




So, there you have it. We haven't decided for sure if we're using a picture on our invitations, but I really want to, I just don't know which one to choose! Heellllllpppppp please.



29 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you two are adorable. Love his thinking of saying "Macy's" and it equaling like a high fashion model. You do look fabulous! I think the baseball jersey pictures are the best, although those doggies are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE these photos! I have a whole post lined up on the importance of using a real photographer for engagement (or really any) photo shoot, because we didn't and I didn't love our engagement photos. Also it was raining but that's besides the point. But seriously, you are gorgeous in all these photos, the light is gorgeous and the location is just amazing! Frame them everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SO pretty! I love them all, how gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww these are all fabulous, lady!!!!! Love all of them, they are SO DIFFERENT ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok girl. These are frickin fantastic. Fantastic I say! Wow. You really could be a model for like Macys. Or Sears. Or one of those fancy schmancy catalogs I don't get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are soooooooooo fantastic! I love all of them! You guys look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great!!! I just love looking at engagement pictures and yours are gorgeous! :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all so beautiful! My favorites are the b & w second one down from top and the b& w of you guys in the baseball jerseys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmmmmmmm I want to hang all these on one of the (few) empty walls in our house. You won't mind right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please make the baseball one a Christmas card. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing!! I love the colors you're both wearing, and those baseball jerseys shots are wonderful. I think my favorite might actually be the very last photo... or the one where he's kissing your forehead... or any one with the dogs - it's so hard to choose!! Thanks for linking up with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What adorable photos!!! You both coordinate so well and look like naturals in front of the camera. The dogs and baseball jerseys are perfect additions. The one where he is kissing your forehead is the best!

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so much fun!

    And those pictures are TOTALLY different. Keith doesn't know what he's talking about if he thinks they're even kind of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love! my fiance and i aren't lovey-dovey either so i wasn't sure how they'd turn out, but we did a great job faking it!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Second comment in one day (wow, I'm on a roll!). Those pictures are gorgeous! We didn't do the whole engagement photos thing, and seeing these makes me kind of regret it.

    If you decide to use one for your invitations, my vote goes to either the second one or the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love them all!! How did you choose?! Great photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are gorgeous photos! Love that you included the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look so gorgeous! I love all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous photos!! I love the ones in the jerseys!! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These pics are the cutest ever! You look so gorgeous in every single one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a little behind on my blog reading, but I'm LOVING your pictures! They are seriously so precious <3 I love the individual shots too. I'm going to to totally get engagement photos and pregnancy photos, etc. I'm going to be THAT PERSON and I CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your engagement photos turned out absolutely amazing! They are all SO GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sooooo behind on blogging (reading and writing)...

    I looooove these!!! You both definitely look so comfortable in front of the camera!! I also love how you love dogs now...because they're the best things ever. I even have a human child and I'm still obsessed with my pups. I think the baseball jerseys is too cute. (Of course I do, since I'm a die hard fan. And I'd like to point out the Cards are the first in ALL of baseball...with a record of 50-24 or something like that. First team to reach 50 wins this year ;) haha love you!)
    I love that she took individual photos of you. I wish we had thought to do that for any of our shoots other than our wedding. But I love that you want to frame Keith :) Nick is framed on my nightstand (the moment he saw me as I came down the aisle).
    How far is the drive to SL? Can she not do your wedding? Because she should!!!!

    ReplyDelete