Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: The Dress

YOU GUYS. Today is my 27th birthday but I don't want to bore you with a post about how I really don't want to be 27 because I really loved 26 and now that I'm 27 I'm in my late twenties and I've been putting off being in my late twenties since I turned 25. So instead (and because it's Wedding Wednesday) I'm going to tell you all about my wedding dress shopping experience.


Shopping for my wedding dress was on the short list of things I was not excited to do. I've worn dozens of wedding dresses at my old job and I knew I wasn't going to have "that moment" of seeing myself in a white dress for the first time. I think I was mostly nervous about it being a really big deal with a lot of people around trying to tell me what I should get. Also, I've sort of let myself go the past 6 months and I'm not very happy with how my body looks, so I really wasn't looking forward to seeing myself in a tight dress without sleeves under fluorescent lighting. Call me crazy, but I just wasn't into it.

Last weekend I was back in SLO with my family to celebrate the birthdays of me, my sister, and brother, and Father's Day. I was there for a long weekend so my mom suggested we do some dress shopping. We were going to be babysitting Baby Kate that day so she'd go with us, and I figured if a 20 month old was there the torture appointment couldn't last too long. I made an appointment at what I thought was A Heart's Desire in Paso Robles, and we showed up at a bridal salon in Paso at my appointment time (noon), and my appointment was nowhere in their books.

"....Is this A Heart's Desire?" I asked, though I already knew the answer.
The girl looked at me like I was a huge idiot, gave a big sigh, and said, "No, this is Bella Novia."
Now, I have this tendency to get kind of mad, freak out a little, and sometimes cry when things don't go the way I expected them to. This was one of those times and I pulled my mom over to a corner and whispered angrily, "Let's just LEAVE! This is so embarrassing!" (I'm very mature.) We didn't leave, though. They were able to fit me in for an appointment which wasn't surprising since there were NO customers in the store.

The sales associate walked us through racks of dresses and the first rack we walked by she said, "These dresses are all ______" (I can't tell you the styles because what I bought is a big secret le duh) and I told her, "Oh we can definitely stay away from that style, that's the opposite of what I want!" Then she let me pick out some dresses that I wanted to try on, so by looking at price and dress detail, I picked out 4 or 5 dresses and we went into the dressing room.

The owner of the store (who was extremely nice and patient) ended up helping me into the dresses. And even though I've been in her shoes and I know she didn't care that my legs weren't shaved and my underwear was ripped, I still felt self-conscious. But she made me feel comfortable which I really appreciated.
Then I stepped out onto the pedestal in the first dress AND I FELL IN LOVE AND BOUGHT IT.

Just kidding. I stayed in it for about a minute and a half and then we moved on. My mom took pictures of each dress I tried on and I'm glad she did because I wouldn't have remembered them otherwise. The second dress I really liked. It was pretty much what i'd been looking for, except that it had a plunging neckline and I wasn't into that. The third one I was in for about 3 seconds. The next one I was in for like 4 minutes, and then Elizabeth (the stylist) asked me if I'd mind if she brought in a dress she thought I might like. From my experience as a bridal stylist I know how important it is to listen to your stylist and try on what they suggest. You might hate it but more often than not you'll love it. I told Elizabeth I was open to trying anything on.

As she was zipping me up I said, "Wow, this is really the opposite of what I wanted!" And she said, "I know, but I think it's a good idea to try it."

AND OH. MY. GOSH. There's a picture my mom took where the look on my face is like, Oh em gee I loooooove this dress but I don't want to admit it. I walked around the store and looked at it in better lighting, tried on a veil, and told myself it was okay to pick a dress that was totally different from what I wanted. I didn't cry, my mom didn't cry, and Baby Kate didn't cry. It wasn't some emotional moment where I was like, YES I AM BUYING THIS DRESS RIGHT NOW. It kind of just slowly sunk in. It wasn't a big deal, and I'm so glad. I didn't want it to be a big deal. The whole experience was really perfect. I think it's so funny that I didn't even mean to go to that store, and I bought a dress that was "not what I want at all."

That's how it was when I went car shopping. I wanted a small SUV like a Honda CRV and I looked at a bunch of those, but then the salesman showed me a Honda Fit and after looking at it for a while I just slowly came to the conclusion that that was the car I was going to buy.

So, long story short, I bought the dress! (The next morning.) BUT since the wedding is so soon I had to order a smaller size. Right now I'm like, a 10/12 and the dress I ordered is an 8, so now it's this big dramatic diet I'm on because I have to fit into the dress. If I don't, there will literally only be three weeks to get it altered. No pressure at all.

SO. Venue? Check. 
Caterer? Check. 
Florist? Check.
Officiant? Check.
Dress? Check.
Photographer? Ch----we'll talk about that later.

When you bought your dress, did you have that "AHA!" moment? How many dresses did you try on?

25 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love how laid back you were about this whole thing. I tried on close to 100 dresses at like 7 different bridal salons. Yes, that's completely ridiculous and I realized that but I just loved it so much and I wanted to try different styles. I was thinking that maybe I'd wind up with a style I didn't expect to like (because I know a lot of people that that has happened to) but I wound up with the exact dress I thought I would like that I'd seen online and loved. I can't wait to see what you picked! And seriously, if you've got a wedding diet to share with me, please do. Because GrubHub is getting way too much of our business these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY - and congrats on finding the dress! I can't wait to see pictures in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had almost the exact same experience! I booked my appointment online, but it glitched (I swear! haha) and booked for a week later so when I showed up they didn't have my appointment in the book that day. They were able to squeeze me in in an hour, so my friend and I went out to lunch while we waited.

    I had been dress shopping before with WAY too many people and way too many loud opinions (*cough* MIL *cough*) so I hadn't picked one out yet, but knew what one I was leaning towards and was actually planning on trying it on again and probably purchasing it that day. My friend and the stylist convinced me to try a few more, just to compare. I ended up loving one of the new dresses, which was completely different than I thought I wanted. My aha moment was when I didn't want to take it off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! So exciting that you found your dress, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely had that moment, when the associate asked me to describe the venue while I was wearing the dress and it just hit me how perfect the dress was. You can see how pretty it was here: http://besillybestrong.com/2014/11/25/what-a-whirlwind/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, lady!

    I had a very similar experience with my dress. I tried it on at my first shop and my sister picked it out and I saw it on the hanger and thought 'who the efff picked out a dress with flowers on it?'. But when I came out everyone knew it was the dress and one friend cried. I wasn't sold yet, and went to two other places and went back and forth between two other dresses. When I tried them both on in one day, I KNEW the dress with flowers was it. I cried [yes, I did] because I was like THIS IS MY DRESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo on finding your dress!! I wish I made as much progress as you have with your checklist, but I have another year to plan. Seriously why is it so impossibly hard to find a good photographer who doesn't charge you an arm, leg and kidney while also responding to emails in a timely manner, so frustrating, but good luck in finding one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First and foremost Happy Birthday!!! I promise the older you get life seems to get better :) Can't wait to see the dress!! And please share what you're doing to shed the weight....I need help!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! And I'm glad you found a dress :) I've never tried on a wedding dress, but I feel like clothing stylists are always smarter than me when it comes to what I'll look good in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't sign up for the butter of the month club. And remember, you don't alter a Vera to fit you. You alter yourself to fit Vera. Or whatever....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought mine on Amazon, which sounds "ew rednecks do that" and so yuck, but it came directly to my door and I fell in LOVE. When I got engaged I was too anxious to wait to go dress shopping so I went to my go-to Amazon "just to look", found exactly what I wanted (simple, elegant, and champagne not white). It was only $150 so I figured what was the loss and if I hated it I could go dress shopping and buy a new one. No harm, no foul. BUT that didn't happen because I pulled it out of the box and slept with it because it was too perfect! Sigh...... the small things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! So glad you found your dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! Glad you found your dress, and I'm impressed you found one on the first try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday!!! Getting that dress is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha yes this is exactly what happened to me. i said, i dont want XYZ, then i tried on all the styles i thought i wanted, and then to humor my sister tried on XYZ and was like, omg ok yes i was wrong, i love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so exciting! I love how quickly everything is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday! I just turned 27 in March and it isn't that bad.... but I did kind of cringe when you said 'late twenties' haha. That's so awesome that you were able to find your dress that quickly! I'm getting married next June and haven't bothered to go look at any in the stores. I actually think I might order it online (only because Nebraska doesn't have a Macy's... boo) which I'm super nervous about! Can't wait to see what you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday! That is so exciting that you bought your wedding dress :D Isn't it funny how you fall in love with the one that wasn't at all what you expected? I can't wait to start trying on wedding dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOU SAID YES TO THE DRESS!!!!! Omg omg omg okay you might not want a big to-do over it, but I can't help it I'm sorry (no I'm not). YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg I can't wait to see your dress!!!
    I also bought a dress I didn't think I'd like (hated rouching). But when I tried it on, I turned around after she laced me up and I teared up. When j stepped out of the dressing room, my Mom and grandma cried. It was the one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHEEEEEEEEE! i can't wait to see it (so just a resounding agreement to all the comments above).

    wedding planning is exhausting.
    i bought my dress online for one hundred doll hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too had a hard time in finding my wedding gown. At last I designed my wedding gown on my own and it turned out just fabulous. I tied the knot last winter at one of indoor event venue in Berlin and it was truly a comfortable and awesome wedding outfit.

    ReplyDelete