Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Wedding: Finding a Venue

I usually don't like the "keep calm" things but this is just super applicable to my life right now.
(Spoiler alert, we haven't found a venue yet.)
Wedding Wednesday is a thing, right? I remember seeing lots of those posts in the past but I don't know if people still do it. Maybe all the engaged bloggers I followed got married? Or maybe the engaged people I follow are actually able to talk and blog and think about things that aren't wedding related? If those kinds of people are out there, can you tell me how you do it? Because for the past two weeks every single night as I've tried to drift off to sleep I've just been consumed by thoughts of the wedding, and usually I start thinking so hard that I can't sleep so I have to play candy crush but then I run out of lives so I go on Buzzfeed but then I'll have already read all the articles I care about so I'll go on Pinterest and then BAM! there are my 47 billion wedding boards and... the cycle is vicious.
Don't get me wrong, I'm so thrilled and excited, but I also don't feel like I was prepared for the amount of stress that comes with wedding planning. How come nobody makes this clear? Is it like childbirth, where after it's over all you remember is that at the end you got a beautiful baby and all the pain goes away? Well, lucky for me I have this blog so I'll be able to remember every little annoying detail.
And so will you! You're so lucky.
Like, I'll be able to remember how I have an ideal date in mind (October 17 of this year, but for some reason I feel very uncomfortable putting that in writing, like if I do people will steal it or I won't be allowed to get married on any other date), but apparently when your date is in less than 6 months, affordable wedding venues are hard to find.
First, we talked about getting married in the garden where my sister got married. I called, and it's not available in October. Then, I called our second choice, which is under $1000 but has no parking because it's in downtown San Luis, but they don't have any availability until April of 2016. So, ok fine, my top two choices aren't available when I want them, but there have to be a bunch of venues around SLO, right? Finding a wedding venue should be pretty easy, RIGHT? RIGHT, ELLE WOODS?
Absolutely. There are so many choices! And so many barns! (FYI, a barn is to a California wedding what The Plaza is to a NYC wedding... at least according to Bride Warss.) So I started happy clicking on all these venues, looking at beautiful pictures of happy wedding parties, pretty little lights strung all over rustic barns, and all the mason jars and burlap your pretty little heart could desire.
And then I started looking for prices. Anne Hathaway does a pretty good impression of my feelings after seeing the $19k price tags. I'm not even kidding. NINETEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, and that's just for the venue and space heaters at an additional charge.

(I googled "devastation gif" and this is what I got. At least something I'm finding on the internet is helpful.)
And that's basically where we are right now. Square One. Unless there's a square that comes before one? Is there? Square Prequel? That's where we are.
Actually maybe that's a lie. We have decided on our engagement photographer, and I decided what kind of flower girl Baby Kate should wear. Want to see? Okay fine, you talked me into it.

IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE.

So thanks for reading my panic attack of a post. I will gladly accept words of encouragement, hilarious gifs, bottles of wine, cash, and popcorn (but only if it's the movie theater butter kind, not the light butter garbage I ate last night) and links to helpful blog posts to help me feel better. Thanks and bye gotta go google more panic inducing venues.

23 comments:

  1. You make me laugh :) Seriously, every bride EVER has been where you are. And I guess it IS kind of like childbirth you forget? Seriously, if you want the wedding in October, it shall be stressful but ITS WHAT YOU WANT. But! if that's not the end all be all? Enjoy being engaged! Isnt it like, the best reason to get your nails done ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is too funny. I planned my wedding in like...2 months. It can be done, you'll make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny. I'm here to tell you that it is ridiculously fun to plan your wedding but you will have a side dish of stress until the very end (at least I do sooooo maybe you can break the curse). PS - I love the GIFS and the flower girl dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started looking at venues 14 months before my ideal date, and so many places were already booked! It's kind of crazy how far out some people plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think of baby Kate in that freaking adorable dress and maybe all the stress will melt away?!?! No?! Well...there's always wine and chocolate! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh girl, I do not envy you! My advice would be keep an open mind about location...we ended up having our reception at a realty center office (??? yes, that is apparently a thing) because they had these gorgeous ballrooms and no one was there on the weekend. You never no where you'll find something amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, venues are a bitch. Ours wasn't even BUILT YET when we booked it. We were on of the first 10 weddings there. The grass hadn't even come in and half the things we were told were be there weren't. I feel like just going with the flow (to a reasonable extent) is necessary haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not even engaged and I totally get on pinterest and wedding brain becomes a total thing haha. Thank goodness for wine and cozy clothes to help take the edge off :)
    xoxo
    Brooke|LookBrooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. This should make you feel a little better...it will all fall into place. I'm sure you know June is a VERY popular wedding month. If we wanted to get married and KNOW the groom would be there (kind of important) we had a four week window after Nick graduated and commissioned to get married. So when he proposed, 22 months before he was allowed to get married (can't have dependents at USNA), we picked out date immediately. Two weeks after graduation. Enough time for last minute things (since I would be in Maryland the two weeks prior) and enough time for a week honeymoon and then to drive across the country and start my new life. So the date of June 11th was picked 22 months in advance.
    Our venue was picked just 19 months in advance. When we began looking, 20 months before our wedding date, you would not believe the number of venues already booked for our date. We booked, sighed, and toasted with wine (or maybe Rumplemintz). Then just THREE months before our wedding date, our venue shut down. THREE MONTHS BEFORE A SATURDAY WEDDING IN JUNE!!! We were on a tight budget. Very tight. We had already sent save the dates to 240 people so shaving down the guest list couldn't happen. Where would we find a venue, for a Saturday in June, for 240 people (minus the RSVP no's), within our tiny budget, just three months before. BUT WE DID! And it was cheaper than our previous one!!!!!! Sooooo....if I can get through that stress and still find a venue, I'm pretty hopeful you can find one too!!! You might get some grey hairs in the process, but they make hair dye for a reason, duh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT SAYS I'M SIGNED IN!!!! This is Melanie at Ribbons and Rotor Blades. Blogger is being a jerk! (I also commented on two other posts and I bet it did this as well!)

      Delete
  10. This is why I want a minimum of a year to plan when I get engaged if not longer... soo many decisions to make and sooo much money. Hang in there! And that flower girl dress is so precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My prescription for you is margaritas and STAT! No seriously, make a list and tell your family/friends to get on it for you since you live so far away. That is how I have skated through life.. Just giving my tasks to others who are clearly more capable, or at least that is what I let them think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come so I can stare at baby Kate in that ADORAAAABLE dress?

    I know that solves no problems, but SHE IS GOING TO BE SO FREAKING CUTE AND I'M GOING TO WANT TO HUG HER AND TWIRL AROUND WITH HER AND ALL THE THINGS. (Also, can I be the ring bearer and wear a matching dress to Kates?) I'm sure that I'll look phenomenal in a little puff ball of lacy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not engaged yet but hearing about wedding planning and watching the crazy brides on TV make me want to elope. I can't comprehend spending the equivalent of a new car or down payment on a house just to throw a big party. That flower girl dress is ADORABLE though...so that kind of makes me want to have a wedding because flower girls steal the show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stumbled upon your blog. I'm getting married on October 10th! I get really excited when other people are getting married in October for some reason, haha. And I LOVE your "none for Gretchen Weiners" sign-off. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay so I have a perfect solution for you! You just need to buy a beautiful barn where you can get married and then charge people $19 thousand to have their weddings there. LOL JK that's crazy! Also who would have thought barns were the "It" wedding venue in California. I guess I imaged everyone got married on the beach or a mountain cliff or a super trendy hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where do you get a fluffy dress like that? CAN I HAVE ONE?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have a flower girl so I can't have the flower girl outfit that I want. Can Baby Kate be a fairy princess PRETTY PLEASE and then it's kind of like I'm getting what I wanted, only at your wedding instead...

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6b/9a/53/6b9a53f1851e119906dc1748543eaa4a.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck! I wouldn't know from experience, but I hear once you pick the venue and the dress, everything else is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What about Lopez Lake?. My uncle got married there and it was beautiful. I know it isn't a barn or exactly where you wanted it but it is close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not amazed to realize that best wedding reception Venues at eventup serves as the best venues in NYC. I, myself want to get married there and cherish their services.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was only engaged for 3 1/2 months and I felt like that was more than enough time to get everything done and I had my absolute dream wedding everything that I wanted at my wedding was there and I had the perfect venue. Just take it slow don't look at your wedding as one big checkmark that has to be checked off at once it is a bunch of small checkmarks that can be done slowly throughout your six month engagement doesn't have to all be done at once. And you were going to make the most beautiful bride ever;

    ReplyDelete