Monday, April 20, 2015

I said yes (a proposal story)

Because in the past I've been guilty of posting blogs that may have led you to believe I was engaged when really it was a friend who was engaged, let me just get rid of all doubt by being very honest:
WE'RE ENGAGED WE'RE ENGAGED WE'RE ENGAGED WE'RE ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!!
Whenever I start to write down the proposal story I just kind of type words and delete, type and delete, because I just want to get it perfect, and also I get really distracted by the sparkle coming from my left hand. (Life is so hard.) But right now Keith is watching Underworld and I have no interest whatsoever in that movie, so I told myself I was just going to sit here and type until the story is finished.

First, there's some back story. In the summer of 2009 Keith was living in Southern California about 30 miles/2 hours from me, and someone suggested that we go to a place called Strawberry Peak one evening to watch the sunset. We did, and after making it up the terrifyingly curvy mountain road we decided it would be "our spot" and that in the future we should make it a point to go back up there every once in a while.

Keith had told me to "look like you're looking at something pretty." Remember this part; it'll come into play later in the story, I promise.

Well, then we broke up and I forgot about Strawberry Peak.

When Keith and I started talking again early last year, he told me where he was living, and then said it was about a 10 minute drive from that same Strawberry Peak! We went there again when I drove down to visit him, and that's where he told me he loved me for the second first time. We also went there for 4th of July to watch fireworks, but that was the last time we'd gone up there.

Until last week. Last Sunday Keith randomly suggested we go to Strawberry Peak again, and I was a little suspicious because it had been so long since we'd gone. For various reasons I was pretty sure he'd be proposing in April, and when he all of a sudden suggested we go back to our special place I was like, "OMG MAYBE I'M GETTING ENGAGED THIS WEEK." But then he said things that kept throwing me off, so by Wednesday I had convinced myself that it wasn't happening.

But that didn't stop me from making sure my nails were freshly painted and my cuticles hadn't been bitten in long enough that they looked presentable.

We got to Strawberry Peak a little before sunset and I needed to lie down for a few minutes because I was feeling really carsick (these winding mountain roads are no joke!), but then we started taking pictures because hello, it was a mountain sunset.


After taking gratuitious selfies, Keith said, "Ok, let's get up," and I followed him a few steps away from our blanket. We were standing there talking and cuddling (awwwwww) and all of a sudden he said, "Ok, hold on for a minute, I've got to do something."

And I peed my pants (jk but my knees definitely got weak).

He turned toward me and pulled me in close, and started whispering sweet nothings (what even are sweet nothings?) in my ear, and I started giggling and shaking like a maniac. He pulled away from me and started to kneel down, and my shaking got worse and I was biting my lip trying to stop the giggling, and then he stood up quickly and said,

"JUST KIDDING!"
And that's how Keith died. Just kidding, but I did spend about 3 full minutes slapping him and calling him a jerk, while he just stood there laughing and saying, "I totally got you! You thought I was going to propose!" And I kept laughing and slapping and laughing and slapping, and then I was really convinced he wasn't going to propose.

Then he said, "Okay, turn and look at the sunset so I can take a picture of you."
And I replied, "Oh, like the first time we came here and you told me to look like I was looking at something pretty?"
"Yeah, exactly."
"Okay, but if you're taking a picture of the back of me please make surer my hair looks ok."

And I stood there waiting for him to take the picture, and I remember thinking that the sky was so beautiful and I was so happy, and then I heard Keith say my name.

I turned around and my hands flew to my face and I gasped, because Keith was kneeling and holding out a small box with the most beautiful ring I've ever seen in it.

And I started giggling and shaking like a maniac. The next few minutes are kind of a blur, but I remember saying, "Oh my gosh, really? REALLY? REALLY?" and apparently Keith had to tell me to, "Control yourself so I can do this!"

And he proposed, and my hands were still on my face because I was giggling and shaking. And then I said "YES!" and he said, "You have to give me your hand," and he put the ring on.

And HOLY GOODNESS IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

Then we took a selfie and I'm just super disappointed that I don't look excited at all.

I always thought that when I got proposed to I would cry, and I'm really surprised that I didn't. I remember wiping away one tear but it wasn't a crying tear, it was a "I'm laughing so hard a tear came out." We sat on the mountain and he told me all about how he had driven up to talk to my parents the Sunday before (a 13 hour round trip) while I stared at the ring and kept leaning over to kiss him.

We waited to post it on social media because I wanted to make sure our families were told before seeing the announcement online, and waiting to be able to post it was basically torture. Then, when I was finally able to post it I took about 15 minutes to come up with a caption and a filter, and in the time it took me to post on Instagram Keith had texted all of his groomsmen and asked them to be in the wedding.

Guys have it so easy.

I am seriously so blown away by all the sweet words from everyone! Thank you all so much for sharing in our excitement and happiness. I keep replaying the moment I turned and saw him kneeling on the mountaintop, and it makes me smile every time. I am over the moon with happiness and I just can't tell you how much all of your kind words mean to me.

So if you'll excuse me, I need to go put some ice on my neck because it's getting a little sore from staring at my ring and my fiance.


53 comments:

  1. awww,how amazing!! congrats,you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE Congratulations!! What a cute story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! This is like, the best blog post ever. I'm so excited for youuuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! This is the sweetest story. The ring is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super sweet!! Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHH!! Yay! Excitement!! So happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!!!!! Congratulations, friend. Of course I'll be a bridesmaid in your wedding! So glad you asked. ;)

    Also- 30 miles is a 2 hour drive???? Is that for real?

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY, congrats, lady! I love your ring!!! Mine is similar and I feel it's sooooo timeless! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seriously so happy for you guys - this will be such an exciting time for both of you. I always saw myself as a crier too but I was too busy grinning like a mad woman for any gears to come out. Also, ring twinsies! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet proposal! Congratulations and all the best with the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAYY!!! I love this story. So cute...even when he said just kidding (total boy move though).

    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! I love how simple and classic your ring is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE THIS. I like the nail prep (just in case!), very you :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE THIS. I like the nail prep (just in case!), very you :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would just like to comment on Keith's 'MERICA sunglasses. And that's all.

    JUST KIDDING YOU'RE ENGAGED YOU'RE ENGAGED.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! Your little love story is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so adorable. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so excited for you guys! I love that Strawberry Peak is your spot, it's one of the best places on the mountain. Congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhhh!!!! SO EXCITED for you both!!!! And such a sweet proposal story :-) Congrats friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was such a joy to read! :) Congrats!! YOU'RE ENGAGED!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha ha ha. Control yourself! ;) Love it. You guys look so happy and so in love. So happy for you, J. Let the wedding planning begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a sweet story. i love that y'all have a spot. your ring is gorgeous and you both look so happy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH my GOSH yayyyyyy!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So excited for you and Keith. Congrats! What a lovely engagement story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this story. And I had tears in my eyes reading it!! I am so ridiculously happy for you two! I shrieked when I saw it on Facebook. Nick asked what was wrong so I told him and he was all like, "Girls are so weird. You all get just as excited about other's engagements as you do your own!" And then I couldn't even text you real words because I was shaking from excitement and happiness for you! lol
    AHHHH CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. you already know how much I love this, but.... EEEEEK I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!

    Also, I'm surprised you didn't push Keith off the mountain when he fake proposed

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awwwwwwww love this!!!! Congratulations!!!! Nothing better than being a newly engaged gal!!! So exciting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. MAZEL ALL THE TOVS!!!! I am so excited for you guys, and your proposal story is the sweetest. I'm glad you didn't push Keith off of the mountain. I think it was pretty worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. awwww YAY!!!! congratulations!!!! keep appreciating that ring because it's beautiful and what a great story! you two are super sweet together!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is so sweet! And this story is so perfect!! Gaaahh!! The best couples have good stories and you guys definitely do. Congrats! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Eeeee! This is the best story ever! So so sweet. Congratulations, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. He NAILED it! Congratulations to both of you! It's all so exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I kind of remember this whole relationship (well part two anyway). You guys deserve nothing but happiness, and I'm just so stinking excited for you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. YAAAAYY!!! That is soo exciting!! I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations to you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats!!! The story is pretty funny - sounds like he knows you well :) So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. YAY YAY YAY! A hundred times more yays! That is so exciting :D Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yay!!!! Gorgeous ring (looks a lot like mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. CONGRATS!!! The ring is beautiful - so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I frkn love your proposal story! I also almost choked on water where you said "and that's how Keith died". 😂 I love it I am SO SO happy for you gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm really mad because Natalie is a brat and stole my comment.
    OBVIOUSLY you HAVE to say YES to a man wearing American Flags as glasses.
    That is all.
    Oh wait, and congrats. :) Not that I haven't said that like 56167516 times.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations!!! What a cute engagement story, even though he tried to pretend he wasn't really proposing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congratulations! What a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I kind of just teared up a little bit. I love stories like this. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. this is a good story. this is exactly how that sort of thing should be done. your boy did GOOD. :]

    ReplyDelete