Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What I miss about home

I've been living in the mountains for just over four months, and let me tell you, it feels like a lot longer than that. I almost typed the cliche, "But at the same time it feels like I just moved here!" but that's not true. It feels like it's been a really long time since I lived in San Luis Obispo. In those four months I've finally learned my address, I survived my first snow (barely), I don't need my GPS anymore, and I got a job. I'm really enjoying the mountains and I have no regrets about moving here, but to be honest... I miss SLO so much. Or slo much. Ha ha... get it? Shut up, Juliette.

I didn't start really missing it until the past couple of weeks. When I first moved I told Keith, "Be prepared, because I'm probably going to be pretty sad from leaving everything, so if I just start to cry all you have to do is bring me chocolate and tell me I'm pretty," but that didn't happen because I was so deliriously happy to be living so close to Keith. So, a few weeks ago when I started feeling pretty down, at first I didn't put it together. Why was I all of a sudden feeling so sad? PMS? General hormones? The altitude? I blamed it on everything, but then I realized: it's because I miss home. 

...I miss my family. I miss the lunch dates I had with everybody during the week. I especially miss Baby Kate and watching her grow. She just learned how to count to three and she figured out that farts are hilarious, and it makes me sad that I'm not there to see it. And what if she forgets me and I'm that weird aunt who she only sees a few times a year and she never really likes me? It's fine, I'll just give her presents and buy her love and affection. #itsfineimfine

...I miss the hiking. Last year I got really into hiking and most days after work I'd go up and down some mountains and jog around my neighborhood, but I'm not doing that here. It's not for lack of options, it's because I'm too insecure to go hike a trail I don't know very well. Also I heard there are snakes around here and just NO.

...I miss having lots of grocery stores within a few miles of my house. There's only one store close to me, and I'm there a lot. Like, just yesterday I was there twice: in the morning to buy Cheez Its and in the evening to buy cheap wine and salami. And the same person was the checker both times and even though I know the people who work there have better things to do than judge my grocery choices it still makes me a little insecure and embarrassed and I just want the option to be able to go to one store for  my wine and one store for my sour candy and another store for my 'Nilla Wafers.

...I miss living 5 minutes away from a Target. I didn't think I would mind this but oh my gosh I do. My plan was to just order things online but turns out I'm horrible at that. When I last ran out of BB cream I ended up cutting my tube open and digging out every last drop because it was going to be so long until I went to Target. So finally I just went to Rite Aid and did you know Rite Aid is way more expensive than Target? Well, it is.

...I miss my job. I KNOW, I KNOW. If you talked to me pretty much at all last year you probably heard me complain about my boss. I hated how he passive aggressively asked me for coffee on a daily basis, how he would sit and shoot the shit with me for hours when all I wanted to do was Gchat and read Buzzfeed, and I hated how I always had to entertain clients and wholesalers while he finished up phone calls that had bled into appointment times. But you know what? I hate my current job more than my last job. We're not getting into it but it's so stressful and I sort of dread going to work every day. It's also not paying much which is why I'm writing sponsored posts like this one and asking you to click for me. I mean hello, I have a wedding to plan (unofficially) and BB cream to buy.
K thanks for letting me be sad for today I appreciate it and I appreciate you and that's all for now byeeeeeeee.

22 comments:

  1. I dont blame you - SLO sure looks (and sounds, from your posts) like a FABULOUS place to live. Plus, i'd die if I only had one grocery store - I feel the amount of wine I buy justifies multiple stores...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I would be so so sad not having a Target like right there. It sucks to get homesick, but at least it's a car ride away and baby Kate wouldn't forget ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay to be homesick! It's part of moving away from home! But you are getting an amazing new experience that you wouldn't be able to have if you stayed in your comfort zone. You're brave for being able to take that leap and try something new! Hope you feel better soon girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. WEDDING!? Ok. The day Keith proposes I will scream and dance around my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to click on ALL THE THINGS because I feel for you with hating your job. Let's just say, I'm in a similar boat. COME TO TEXAS OK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you are homesick. But let's look on the bright side- KEITH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you're dealing with this bout of homesickness :( I don't blame you. SO sorry to hear your job is so awful, that's kind of the worst. Hope something clicks and turns around for you soon. Meanwhile, I clicked and I'll keep clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh I completely understand that feeling!! It's definitely an adjustment moving, but try to embrace the positive things that have come with it and know you are just a drive away from family and adorable baby Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being far from home is so hard--the first year I lived in Colorado I cried like once a week I was so homesick....going on 3.5 years here, I'm so happy now! It will get easier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get over Baby Kate's polka dot cape. IT IS SO FABULOUS.

    Also, I'm sad that you're sad and I wish I could make it better. I'll just go tell Keith to hurry up and buy you a diamond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am completely understand missing home, but I also have to say you are one tough girl. You totally uprooted for love so I will buy you a drink, whenever we FINALLY work out a date. Of course I can meet you for lake walks after I get off of work, maybe it'll help a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, can you just quit it because you're so cute and it's killing me and making me want like 56498416351 Baby Kates of my own.

    Juliette, HOW DO YOU LIVE WITHOUT TARGET? I am such a Target spoiled girl because I get bratty about living near a regular Target when I work near a Super Target and it's just SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT when everything is right there at Super Targ.

    I guess, now I will sign off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m sorry you’re feeling so down. :( If I were there I would hike for hours with you, and I would go buy the wine and salami for you so the mean grocers didn’t judge your grocery choices. I totally get that though, I get side eyed every time I buy a box of wine. Like come on, three boxes per week isn’t that much (kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry J :( I hate that you're sad because I never want you to be sad. I'll make sure I click all the links for you though <3 I'm here if you need to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will get better. You will get better at buying things online, and you will adjust. In the meantime, keep buying that wine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally get that "sad" feeling. When I first moved away from home, it was great. Everything was new and my mind was occupied by all the newness. Then the feelings started settling in. I still struggle with this and I wish I had better advice to give but I don't. What helps me get through it is always having a trip home planned. It's something to look forward to. I find when I visit often, I don't feel as homesick from everyone! Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry you're missing home. It's okay to be sad sometimes. You uprooted your whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of these feelings are totally normal! At least I think so. You're doing great! Super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry you are feeling homesick. I'll tell you one thing about your niece, though. My nieces live up in the bay area and I'm in LA. I see them maybe 2 times a year, some years more, but generally twice a year. I am so close to them and them to me! They are 12 and 10 now and they text me, call me, and can't wait to see me every time we get the chance. As long as you decide to be involved in her life you'll always be close!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know exactly and one hundred percent how you feel, girl. xxx All the hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. do you need me to come visit you?
    i'll bring wine and other forms of sustenance.

    also i'll have to bring shitler so i hope keith will get along well with him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. I need to steal Baby Kate because she knows how to adorably rock some Converse and that's my kinda girl!
    2. I'm proud that you didn't get all sad when you moved. I cried so much when I moved away.
    3. I'm afraid of the aunt/niece (nephew) thing with my son and my siblings and when my siblings have kids. It's so hard and not fair! Thank goodness for technology but it's just not enough!!
    4. We should chat about our jobs. I'm beginning to hate mine. Nonprofit is hard and ugh. I cry a lot because I have to go to work. It's why I don't sleep anymore :(

    ReplyDelete