Thursday, February 26, 2015

This is what happens when a friendship ends

The friends I have today aren't the same friends I had when I was 5, or 10, or 15, or even 20. Some have stayed the same, but many of the friendships I've had at some point during my 26 years are either really different or just not there at all. I think this is the case with most people: your group of friends changes as you're growing up. Sometimes there's a big falling out and sometimes you just kind of drift apart and there isn't really any specific reason, but no matter what the cause, I think these things are what happen when a friendship ends [in 2015].

1. Your text messages get shorter, more formal, and less frequent.
2. You both regularly respond to a text from the other person with, "K." with a period at the end, which make it so much worse.

3. You don't comment on each other's Instagram posts anymore.

4. You don't even like their Instagram posts anymore.



5. You delete the person on Instagram...

6...but still check their page weekly to see what they've been up to.

7. And you get annoyed if their Instagram is private.



8. You used to be such close friends that you have many, many inside jokes, and even though you aren't spending time together anymore you still find yourself giggling about your inside jokes when you're with other friends, which naturally makes your other friends think you might be a little crazy.
9. You post something funny/exciting on Instagram and secretly hope she sees the post and is either sad that you didn't text it to her privately or jealous of how awesome your life is.
10. You find out about all of her life updates from Instagram/Facebook, but know none of the intimate details.
11. You see something that reminds you of your old friend but resist the urge to send a text about it because it would just be weird.
12. You spend more time than you want to admit reminiscing about the days when you were friends. Sometimes you're sad, sometimes you smile at the memories, and sometimes you're mad. But in some way, shape, or form, you'll always miss the friendship.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I have done a number of these things. I'm a tad passive aggressive at times- working on it haha. And thank you for the LC gif- she's an icon in the loss of friends hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate how true this is! So many friendships go through ups and downs and as you grow as a person, the other friend might not grow with you. As sad as that is, it's true and it's a part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so accurate! Private Instagrams get in the way of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People don't talk enough about how weird it is when friendship ends. It's weird. And made even weirder in 2015. True facts here. Oh god, the private instagrams! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, and as we get older this seems to happen more often. I've been contemplating who is good for me and who is bad for me lately, and some of those friendships have worked themselves out to no longer exist, but others I've had to take a step back from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay thanks for making me feel all emo. But this is 100% on point. It just feels like it's not okay, like you almost HAVE to keep up the friending because you've friended for so long. That's where I struggle the most - the self-imposed, completely manufactured guilt complex. Also let's please never drift apart, thank you goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. but i also think as i get older the realization that i hate everyone just becomes stronger and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was so incredibly true, and while I have a private instagram... I can't stand when anyone else does hahaha. How am I supposed to know your entire life?? duhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is So true and i agree with what lindsay said about those friends that you feel like you have maintain just because you've been friends forever. it's weird to grow up and move away...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHH!! I'm so happy to be back and reading your blog! Ehhh this is the weird part of a friendship. They are all very very true but very shitty in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm laughing hysterically (can you hear it right now because I feel like you should because it's so loud?) because #truth. except i was still in college last time this happened and instagram hadn't even been invented yet. BOOM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, you just made me a little sad. I'm with Lindsay on this one - I don't like those forced friendships 'just because' you've been friends forever. people grow up, it should be okay to drift apart - but I feel like it's NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, you just made me a little sad. I'm with Lindsay on this one - I don't like those forced friendships 'just because' you've been friends forever. people grow up, it should be okay to drift apart - but I feel like it's NOT.

    ReplyDelete