Monday, February 2, 2015

5 things I've come to realize


1) Nobody is thinking about me as much as I'm thinking about me. Fairly often I find myself feeling insecure about myself and assuming that everyone is judging me harshly for the way I dress, act, laugh, etc. What I've come to realize is that people really aren't paying that much attention to me. Most of us are too busy worrying about what other people are thinking about us that to be spending that much time thinking about other people.

2) Most things shouldn't be taken so personally. I'm the queen of taking things personally. If someone makes an offhandedly rude remark toward me, I automatically assume I did something wrong and I'll stew over what it could have been for days. The truth is, sometimes people are in bad moods and they aren't being rude to you because of you, it's because of them. Because remember, nobody is thinking about you as much as you're thinking about you.

3) Always wear an underwire bra. I mean, you never know when you're going to be abducted, and the key to your survival/escape could be busting (hehe, punny) the underwire out of that bra and either picking a lock or stabbing your captor in the neck. When you write your memoirs about your abduction feel free to thank me for giving you the key to your escape.

4) Just because "it could be worse" doesn't mean it's not bad right now. In my experience, saying "Oh, it could always be worse!" when a friend is going through a hard time isn't helpful or comforting. I know I never like hearing it, because it makes me feel ungrateful and then I end up just feeling worse for being so selfish. The phrase. "it could always be worse" minimizes your pain/struggle, and what's helpful about that? Nothing. Sure, it could be worse, it could always be worse, but just because it could be worse doesn't mean you don't have the right to be upset for the struggle you're in at the moment.

5) It's easy to be negative, but it's better to be positive. There will always be things to complain about. No matter how rich, successful, popular, or blessed you are, you will always be able to find things to complain about, because life isn't perfect. But at the same time, no matter how bad things get there is always always always something to be thankful for. Don't lose sight of your blessings in the midst of a rough time.

24 comments:

  1. Mmmhmmm. Yes. Amen. Preach it.

    Except for the underwire bra. God's gift (curse?) to me was a flat chest and I discovered Gap's wireless bras and MY LIFE WAS CHANGED. And when I get abducted with absolutely zero self defense or escape plan I'll just try to focus on how comfy my ta's are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point 3 made me laugh out loud. True, you never know! I believe that staying positive is always the best way to go, but often times also the hardest. Even though this really makes a difference in your life and how you come across as a person - keep striving for that positive attitude and embrace the good things in your life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much truth in this post! I agree, wholeheartedly. I especially agree that just because it could always be worse doesn't mean that in any given moment something doesn't suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much truth in this post! I agree, wholeheartedly. I especially agree that just because it could always be worse doesn't mean that in any given moment something doesn't suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of these. Especially #1 and #4. Good grief. I really hate when #4 happens. I want to yell at people -- "Yes, I know somewhere someone has it worse, but that does not mean my life is not feeling crappy right now. Let me feel how I feel." And also, thanks to Scandal for the underwire bra trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, this is a great post! I'm really hard on myself as well..

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boyfriend ALWAYS says, "It could always be worse." But only when he's talking about himself or his situations. Luckily he never says that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so much truth to this! i'm not wearing a bra now and you've inspired me to think about putting an underwire one on when the time comes (probably at like noon).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay so can you get out of my head today? Thanks for sharing your heart. Sometimes life is hard, but it's comforting to know that people could be going through the same things. Forget #foreveralone, more like #neveralone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, for those of us who are, ahem, blessed, we have to wear underwire. I don't think they even make them wireless in my size.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah I love this post. I can't stand anything other than underwire, except no bra which is a hardly ever occurrence. I am weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the vein of #4, I also hate it when people say "God never gives you more than you can handle". I used to work with childhood cancer families and that was something I was told by several families that they hated to hear and consistently upset them. It's completely inappropriate to say to someone. Some things are way more than anyone should have to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AGREE AGREE AGREE! Your #3 makes me think of Scandal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, except for #3 you just summed me up in a nice neat post. Haha! I don't wear underwire bras because well, I am not 'blessed'... (as someone above called it) but I might think about purchasing one for the sole purpose of abduction now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post, but I think you meant that would could thank Shonda Rimes for having Olivia Pope use the under wire in her bra to sorta break free and in turn make you post that survival tactic on your blog, but same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi my name is Juliette and I'm going to come at you with all the wisdom on a Monday and then your mind is going to blow up to smithereens.

    That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. IS that a reference to Scandal? Underwire bra is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay well these are all super smart and useful words of wisdom that I should probably (definitely) take to heart. Especially #2, that’s so true. And UGH FINE YOU WIN with #5 – I will be positive about that skank who stole my book title. I’m sure she’s very talented and nice and I will find an even better title…Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i LOVE this post!! i am so with you on all of these things!! i am so negative and try my hardest to be positive and i take things personally sooooo often!

    ReplyDelete
  20. #3!! That Olivia Pope is so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this list!!! Especially #1, which I really needed to hear today! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes seriously,it's 2015 and it's a busy world and people don't have much time to sit and judge me for whatever I do. It's a relief to think anyway!

    ReplyDelete