Monday, January 5, 2015

No 'poo for you!

If you didn't catch what the title of my post referenced, it's the Soup nazi episode from Seinfeld. "No soup for you!

I go through phases with my hair. Sometimes I'll wash it daily, sometimes every other day, and sometimes every 3-4 days. It really just depends on how busy life is, if I'm sweating a lot, etc. Currently I'm in a new hair phase: I don't really wash my hair. That's not true. For most of December I was only washing my hair on Saturdays and using baby powder to soak up the grease on all the other days. Keith said that's "disgusting" but if I hadn't told him that was how little I wash my hair he NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN.

Yesterday was Saturday and I had every intention of washing my hair, but then Keith and I decided to go see The Hobbit and washing my hair just didn't seem like it was that important. So today I decided I was definitely going to wash my hair, but then I ran into a problem: I couldn't find my shampoo or conditioner. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I was already in the shower when I realized it, and getting out and looking for it seemed like WAY too much work, so the only other option was to just rinse my hair because according the the internet, your hair produces natural oils or something that clean and condition it. I'm not sure about all of the details but if you just google "no poo hair washing method" or "is using shampoo and conditioner really necessary" you'll be able to figure out the answers for yourself. Probably.

After rinsing my hair I put BioSilk Silk Therapy (get it at TJ Maxx for cheap) serum on the ends as I do every time I wash my hair and I blew it dry. Then I used some Not Your Mother's dry shampoo and blew it dry some more and made sure to rub it in, and the texture was weird but if you were just looking at my hair you couldn't tell that it hadn't seen shampoo in about a week and a half. I'm disgusting, I know.

Basically, for the last week or so I've been seriously considering the "no 'poo" method of hair washing. What you do is wash your hair with a baking soda/water mixture, and condition it with apple cider vinegar. The idea is that those ingredients are natural and your hair produces enough oils in it to keep it healthy, shiny, bouncy, and whatever other adjectives are desired for hair. I think a large reason people do this is to only use natural products on hair, and I think another reason they do it is to save money.

My reason is curiosity. I'm curious what these products will do to my hair. I read that the major reason people hate this method or quit doing it is because of the dreaded "transition period." It's the 2-8 week period that it takes your hair to adjust to not washing it with products containing sulfate. Apparently during that period your hair just goes crazy and gets really greasy and disgusting. My hope is that since I don't shampoo my hair very often now, the transition period either won't apply to me or won't last very long.

I'm unclear about some things though. Like, does it really count if i use dry shampoo or baby powder? What about if I use other products, like my silk therapy serum? Are my reasons for this stupid? Since I'm still planning on using heat and hairspray, will this whole "no 'poo" thing really actually make a difference?

I don't know. But I'm going to do it.

So, today I'm going to no 'poo my hair for the first time and we'll see how it goes. The ratio for baking soda to water and apple cider vinegar to water is 1 tablespoon to 1 cup for each. The only thing I'm cutting out is shampoo and conditioner. I'm still going to use my silk therapy after each wash (because it's amazing) and I'll use my dry shampoo as needed. I'm in a wedding on Saturday so I'm a little nervous about my hair being gross for that, but hopefully it will be fine. I'm just a bridesmaid so nobody will be looking at me anyway. Except Keith.

I'll try to take pictures every few days to keep track of what my hair looks like, but sometimes I'm forgetful so I'm not making any promises. But this is what my hair looks like after nine days of no shampoo, on the day I rinsed it and used dry shampoo.

  Now, I really want to hear your opinions. Have you heard of the no 'poo method? Have you ever done it? How often do you wash your hair? What other hair products do you use? Do you think I'm totally disgusting? (It's okay if you do.)
 
 

20 comments:

  1. I've done that! It worked really well - I didn't have to wash my hair nearly as often. I stopped because it was more work than regular shampoo, but I'd recommend it. (Also, make sure you do something to make your vinegar not smell like vinegar. Google says lavender oil. Or you smell vinegary, which isn't cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main reason I haven't done it is because I don't have baking soda OR acv and I'm just too lazy (and forgetful) to pick them up at the store. Have you read Living in Another Language's post on no poo? They're really really informative, especially her FAQ page! I hope it goes well for you!

    http://livinginanotherlanguage.com/blog/tag/no-poo/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this! I just do conditioner though rather than ACV (my boyfriend always said he could tell) . after a lot of research Alberto vo5 conditioner aka the really cheap stuff doesn't contain the sulfates or other chemicals they don't want in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done the no 'poo thing before but it sounds interesting. I just wanted to tell you that I don't think you're disgusting, I HARDLY wash my hair, like once a week max. It does sound gross but my hair is so thick that only the very top roots and underside get a little bit greasy, the rest is fine. And with a little spritz of dry shampoo I could go for days! Ps - major hair envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. Can't do it. Dead.
    Yer hairz looks nice doe.
    Beardy Heart Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just reading something the other day about baking soda having bad long term affects on the hair, but I don't know how accurate that was. Just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go one day without washing my hair and it diiiiiissssgusting. I wish I could go a few days not washing, but even with dry shampoo that's a no-go unless I want to look like I haven't bathed in weeks. Good luck with the no 'poo though, I'm curious to see how it goes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I could do it lol. Mainly because my hair is so greasy and dry shampoos aren't great since my hair is sooo dark. It's hard for me to get it all out and not look like I have ashy hair. They make brunette dry shampoo but all are gross. They leave a black film on my hands anytime I touch my hair no matter how much rubbing and brushing I do after applying the dry shampoo.
    As for baby powder, a few girls I work with stopped using it because it's so harsh or something like that. But they don't like dry shampoo because there's one ingredient in it that is super bad they say (they're all public health fanatics and very into natural and what's best for you).
    As for products I use, shampoo and conditioner in the shower and deep conditioner every other day since I'm either flat ironing or defusing my hair. After shower I spray in moroccan oil on the bottom half. After blow drying I use a heat protectant and if defusing, then mousse for styling and at the end of defusing, hair spray. Both straight and curly style get another quick spray of the oil for added shine. So I use a lot, but none on my roots. Those are crazy oily as is. But I wash my hair every other day if straight, every 3 days if curly.
    I'm anxious to see how this goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So TIM was actually telling me that he read an article where two girls did the no poo thing and one girl loved it and one girl looked like a greaseball forever. I hope you don't look like a greaseball. I skip washing my hair for a day if I'm not leaving the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So my boyfriend showed me THIS article literally yesterday and, while anecdotal, made me really, really be afraid of baking soda in my hair. Just my $0.02. http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13831-baking-soda-destroyed-hair.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE SILK THERAPY. It's my main secret hair weapon. Also idk why but I keep forgetting to tell you that I had friends in college who did no 'poo and loved it. They had amazing hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm anxious to see the results of your experience.
    I only use shampoo once or twice a week. But I use conditioner every time I shower (usually every day). Curly hair problems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of this but sounds interesting. For me I would worry because my hair is really oily no matter how often I wash it, so I can't imagine it getting worse. Looking forward to seeing how this works for you and then maybe giving it a try myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the TK Maxx tip for the Biosilk! Never thought about actually going to the products section... hmm. Also, your hair looks fantastic for not being washed in so long. I've been trying for a week so far to just do every other day and its killing me inside. I wish we had Not Your Mother's brand in Ireland, I miss it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know someone who did it for a year and loved it. I am not a no 'poo girl, but I will sometimes go 7 days without even getting it wet and only two days of dry shampoo. I am lazy and it is such a hassle to wash my hair a lot of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh I've done the dry shampoo and stuff before. My hair used to get very oily, but now that I got a perm it doesn't get that oily anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I CANNOT DO THIS.

    I didn't wash my hair for ONE DAY (Sunday) and my hair was so disgusting... it looked WET... that is just so not cute.
    I've always been intrigued by the no poo, but i just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know quite a few people who use this method and their hair looks great. Not sure what they went through to get here bit they swear by it. New reader here :) Loving your blog!

    www.thetrishlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buy Biosilk Silk Therapy Serum & other Biosilk Hair products to have shiny and soft as @Salonsavings Great Deals & Discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Buy Alagio Crazy Curl Shampoo & other Alagio Hair products to have curly, bouncy and shiny and soft as @Salonsavings Great Deals & Discounts.

    ReplyDelete