Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving slash my visit home slash all of the pictures

Hey good morning everybody. I decided to be SUPER original today and bore you with a recap of my trip home last week. Don't leave though, there are several pictures of my niece and she's always the most popular subject on my blog and Instagram so stick around and look at her. I apologize in advance for any rambling or sentences that don't make sense. My only excuse is that  yesterday I wrote nearly 8,000 words in about 2 hours so I could win National Novel Writing Month and I SUCCEEDED *pause for celebration* *unpause* and my fingers are bleeding and words are hard today. Let's move on.

Remember how my brakes were squealing last week? Well, Keith spent a few hours last Monday evening replacing the brake pads and now Bruce Wayne stops on a DIME and I don't fear for my life whenever I get behind the wheel. YAY!

I made the 5 1/2 hour drive home last Tuesday and the whole drive I played this game I like to call "CD Roulette." I'm technologically stunted and I listen to CDs or the radio in the car (I don't even own an iPod) (that's a lie, I just remembered I have an iPod shuffle but I haven't updated the songs so I think it's just full of t.A.T.u. songs and probably lots of James Blunt too). So, on my drive I had like 15 CD cases in the passenger seat but none of the CDs matched the cases so I'd pick up my Carrie Underwood "Blown Away" case and find a Beyonce CD inside, and inside the Beyonce CD case would be a Taylor Swift CD, and inside the Taylor Swift CD case would be the soundtrack to The Notebook and so on and so forth, you get the picture.

*Say CD one more time, Juliette*

ANYWAY. I'm not even going to apologize for rambling. Most of you have been around long enough to know that this is how I do things.

So, on Wednesday my mom and I babysat my niece and IT WAS THE BEST DAY EVER. I didn't even mind waking up at 6:45 when she got there. She's changed so much since I last saw her, and I swear she gets cuter every day. My sister made a big deal out of "letting her fall asleep and stay asleep on her own" because she doesn't want her to get used to being rocked to sleep but I promptly ignored that and we took a nap in the recliner.


Full disclosure: I was awake when I took this picture and her hand wasn't originally on my cheek but I know a good photo op when I see it, and this was that. And if I hadn't told you I took this picture you would never have known so YOU'RE WELCOME for being honest.

That afternoon, we went shopping.



Baby Kate LOVES shoes, and she loves touching different textures and saying, "Oh wooooooow," and it's the cutest thing ever. She also says "hi!" to any and all passersby and it kills me every time.

After shopping, we went to my grandma's house. My aunt lives with her (she's almost 99) (my grandma not my aunt) and every year we prep Thanksgiving dinner and bond while I gently caress the turkey's breasts and stuff him full of stuffing and then stick an apple where his neck used to be.

Also, every year I name the turkey. I didn't take any pictures of the Thanksgiving prep this year, but it looked a lot like this:

In 2008, the first year I named the turkey. This one was Carl.

In case you were wondering what stuffing an apple in a turkey looks like ... here you go.

One year I named the turkey Nigel (after Nigel the photographer/judge from America's Next Top Model), last year I wanted to name him Hank after Hank from Breaking Bad but for some reason that got vetoed so we named him Walter after Walter White, and this year I named him Ned after Ned from Game of Thrones because like Ned Stark, Ned the Turkey was dead and without a head.



*takes bow for creativity and impressive rhyming ability

I always rub butter and seasoning all over the outside of the turkey and in between the skin and the breasts, While I was rubbing his breasts I got a little too into it and my aunt had to say, "I think you'd better stop. This is getting obscene."

We finished the prep around 10pm, and we didn't get too much done. Usually I make a couple of apple pies but that didn't happen this year because my laziness has reached epic proportions, and I opted to just heat up a frozen raspberry rhubarb pie which, in case you were wondering, was delicious. Oh but I DID succeed in making two pumpkin pies...

...and I think I baked a gnat into one of them.

WHEW this post is long, isn't it? DEAL WITH IT. We're already up to Thursday so I only have to recap three more days for you. We're almost done.

Keith and I didn't spend Thanksgiving together, but we did see each other. He was in Morro Bay at his grandparents' house, and I was in San Luis Obispo, and the two towns are like 10 miles from each other, so I stopped by his grandparents' house that morning to say hi to everybody. His family is so nice and so much fun and so welcoming and I was bummed I couldn't stay longer.

Oh and while I was there, Keith and I basically got engaged.

Basically. His grandma knitted me a stocking that matches Keith's. She's knitted a stocking for every member of the family but she usually doesn't do it until there's an official engagement but Keith's whole family acts like we're already engaged so his grandma went ahead and made me a stocking and it was the sweetest thing ever LOOK AT IT.


Then everybody made us take pictures with our matching stockings and now that I have a stocking we really can't ever break up. Or, I guess we can, and then Keith can have a ceremonial "Burning of the Stocking," but I'm not planning on that happening.


THEN I went to my grandma's house and my aunt and I finished making everything. She tells me that I'm in charge and she's just my "sous chef" but really, I couldn't do it without her. Except the mashed potatoes. The potatoes I make are AMAZING and thanks to my aunt's guidance, I can make them on my own and everybody raves about them.

The green bean casserole, however, sucked. Probably because we used beans from a bag not from a can and we didn't thaw them. But everything else was amazing, especially Ned, the high-maintenance turkey. He was high maintenance because that bird did NOT want to get fully cooked. We took him out of the oven like 7 times and his juices just kept running bloody instead of clear so we'd turn the heat up and leave him in there but he was like "I WILL NOT COOK. I WILL NOT BECOME EDIBLE" until finally we just carved him and stuck the carved pieces back in the oven and then Ned was like, "I have fought the good fight and now I give up. Eat me."


We had a small Thanksgiving this year. Because two of my siblings are married, we swap holidays with their in laws, so this year we don't get the married siblings for Thanksgiving but we do get them for Christmas. So we only had six people, which, compared to last year's twelve, seemed really small. 

Around 9pm I left to meet Keith and his parents to do some shopping. I know, I know, shopping on Thanksgiving is like OMGSOHORRIBLE but I went anyway and every person who was working was REALLY nice and told me they didn't mind having to work on Thanksgiving.

Plus, when I worked at Disneyland I had to work for 13 hours one Thanksgiving and just ate stale rolls from Ariel's Grotto for dinner so I've paid my dues.

I didn't buy much, but I did see this funny sign for balls (hehe) so the whole night was a total win.


On Friday I slept and got all caught up on Nashville (let's discuss it please) and went and saw Mockingjay Part 1 and I REALLY liked it but I think Catching Fire is still my favorite Hunger Games movie. I didn't take any pictures of Friday and I'm sorry.

On Saturday we celebrated my younger sister's birthday, which was on Halloween. Yeah we were a month late, be quiet. Blah blah blah happy birthday Ange, blah blah blah, we all know the real star of the show was BABY KATE.

She was wearing a chambray shirt, white leggings, and gold sandals. If she had stopped moving for two seconds I would have taken an #OOTD picture, but she's 14 months and she doesn't stop. She totally stole the show and she knew it. She's a total ham and I just can't get enough.


We had burgers (WITH BACON), chips, beans, and four different kinds of dessert. And then I put on my chambray shirt and Kate and I took a twin picture and I probably need to frame it. In case you were wondering, Kate's mom got her to smile by fake sneezing and making a total fool out of herself (which was what the rest of us had been doing all day because when Kate laughs the heavens part and angels sing).

Oh and Kate learned a new trick: picking her nose. My sister said I'm not allowed to post the nose picking picture but she doesn't know I blog so I can totally post it here and she can't get mad. Has nose picking ever looked so adorable? No. No, it has not.

Sunday I picked up Keith and we drove back down to the mountains, and it rained and I thought for sure it would snow but IT DID NOT and I'm disappointed but not THAT disappointed because

last night I won NaNoWriMo, have I mentioned that yet? WELL I AM PROUD OF MYSELF AND I CAN MENTION IT AS MUCH AS I WANT.

If you actually read to the end, I appreciate you and you must have been really really bored.

17 comments:

  1. YOU WON YOU WON YOU WON YOU WON!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know which I’m prouder of you for doing, basically cooking an entire Thanksgiving feast all by yourself, or writing your book and winning NaNoWriMo. Can I be equally proud of you for both? And per usual, Baby Kate is precious and I love her. She is the only child that I love, and it will probably stay that way forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) You're a WINNER. How does THAT FEEL?!

    b) I will agree that baby Kate is the cutest damn kid that ever did live. And she dresses better than me. But most do.

    c) DOOR BUSTER BALL BUSTER. That's all I can think. Because maturity.

    d) I am bored. Because work. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nashville. I dont care what everyone says, I still like it this year. And I'm with you on Mockingjay. Definitely good, but I wanted better? I'm thinking part 2 will be EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again on winning NaNoWriMo! A million claps for you. And thank you for all the Baby Kate pictures, she's just rhe freaking sweetest. ALSO, +1 for Catching Fire being the best Hunger Games movie, though I definitely liked Mockingjay #1 a lot more than most people seemed to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG CUTEST BABY EVER! Also can I please be half as fabulous as she is?! It sounds like y'all had such a great time, which makes me super happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually did read the entire post today, and I wasn't bored, you are just THAT GOOD! Love it - and you are looking hella cute these days! not hitting on you!!! Your hair and eyebrows are on point, girl! Love the stocking, and the name Juel. Very fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I TOTALLY KNEW YOU POSED THAT PICTURE OF YOU AND KATE SLEEPING BECAUSE OF THE PICTURE WITH ONE OF KEITH’S DOGS. Also. What is in your ear?
    2. I want to read all the words you wrote, so send them to me, k thanks.
    3. Baby Kate’s smile is the best thing in the entire world.
    4. You named your Turkey (in 2008) after my boss!
    5. Do not use the “E” word on this blog until it really happens because I almost peed my pants!
    6. Your Thanksgiving plate looks amazing and now I’m hungry again
    7. The bogo on balls. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    8. QUIT GROWING BABY KATE
    9. And yes. Even the nose picking is cute. Thank you for posting it.
    10. I had to open a Word document so I could list out all of my thoughts and not have to scroll up and down the page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM SO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU FOR WRITING 50,000 WORDS!!!

    Also, Baby Kate kills me. I cannot get enough of her.

    Also, it took me 4 hours to read this post because WORK KEPT GETTING IN THE WAY (jk)(or not)

    Also, you talked about so much food in this post and I'm jealous and hungry and yeah

    Also, that stocking. HIS GRANDMOTHER IS THE CUTEST.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year, I got the mother effing DOG's stocking at Derek's Christmas. It didn't have any dog paraphernalia on it, so I would have been none the wiser had Derek not blabbed. Needless to say, it wasn't a happy time. His mom got mad at him for telling and I got mad at them for giving me the dog's stocking. She basically said she wasn't gonig to buy a stocking when she didn't even know how long I would be around (RUDE) and I let her know that I would have just rather not had one. It's still a pretty sore subject that Derek likes to brink up occasionally. Needless to say I have my own stocking this year and it's actually a really nice one. I think they felt bad, seeing that I'm OBVIOUSLY sticking around. So anyway, congrats on your stocking, it's adorable and apparently a big deal to some people haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving weekend. That is one cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baby Kate makes me sad because I know my child will never, ever be as adorable as her. And that nose picking photo...I literally LOLed!!!
    I've never made or helped with thr turkey. Raw meat kind of creeps me out. Especially if it has bones. You're a trooper lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had an amazing Thanksgiving full of fun and food and a turkey that did not want to cook. Love all the photos! Baby Kate is seriously adorable!! Also, that stocking is way cute -- how sentimental and sweet! But don't use the E word unless it actually happens because I got too excited then a little let down ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THAT BABY THOUGH. ALSO THE STOCKING. ALSO THE TURKEY HAS A NAME. ALSO heck yes you won NaNoWriMo!!!

    Also now I want some mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GOOD JOB on winning NaNoWriMo!!!! I am SO SO SO proud of you. You're such a rockstar. Meeeep you're basically engaged and I can't deal :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your thanksgiving was great. The picture, even if staged, was great! Sweet babies sleeping in your arms is the best feeling ever. And that his grandma knitted you a stocking... we better see a ring soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this post is from SO long ago, but I just couldn't get myself together to tell you how much I love your stalking... Or even stocking. Because I want one but I"m married and so that makes things weird... Maybe grandma will marry both Jason and me and be so happy to make JUST ME one?

    Also, I've started picking my nose. I'm sure it's going to make me as cute as Baby Kate.

    Also, who is this Natasha chick? ^ Didn't she read that you AREN'T engaged, just PRACTICALLY engaged. And that you don't need a spell caster because you HAVE A STOCKING.

    ReplyDelete