Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cheapskating


A couple of weeks ago Keith and I were watching tv (like we never do, except on days that end in "-y"), and he introduced me to this show called Cheapskates. Have you heard of it? People go to all these insane methods to save a buck or two, and some genius decided to film it so I could enjoy it. There's this one guy who is in his late twenties (I think) and he works as a bartender. When people don't finish their drinks, he saves the alcohol in a big bag and takes it home. He also saves the garnishes (olives, fruit, what other garnishes go in alcoholic drinks? Celery? Like in Bloddy Marys?) and any unpopped popcorn kernels that were left in bowls of popcorn. (I've never been to a bar that serves popcorn but now I think I need to find one.) Then he takes it home and makes himself martinis and popcorn. Oh, and he lives with his mother so he makes her drinks too.

There's this other guy who reuses his mouthwash. His reasoning? "It's an antiseptic, so it cleans itself." He has two bottles: one of new mouthwash and one that he spits the old mouthwash into. His wife has her own bottle of mouthwash. Oh yeah, he's married, and he gets an alert on his phone whenever she spends money.

Then there's the couple whose dates are dumpster diving. They went into one dumpster and found Chinese food and they ate it.

I'm all for saving money, but I think some measures are just a little too far. Like drinking leftover drinks. Just NO.

Obviously after watching this show, I was like I HAVE TO BLOG ABOUT THIS, so I started thinking of ways I save money and got a little depressed that I couldn't think of many ways. I like to think that's because I don't spend a lot of money but that's probably not the case. Oh well. Here's my list.

- I like to reuse my old coffee grounds for up to four days. I don't really like the taste of fresh coffee, so I'll suffer through the first round and then the next day I'll just add another little scoop of fresh grounds to the old grounds and that's how I get my perfect coffee. (If this is unsanitary I don't want to know.)

- My Target RedCard helps me save 5% every time I go to Target. The RedCard acts just like a debit card, so you don't have to worry about having another credit card to pay off. Plus, when you use it online you get free shipping.

- Coupons. I rarely use coupons, but growing up (in a family of 7 and with one pastor's income) my dad was a coupon master. Not quite to the extent of the people on Extreme Couponers, but it was impressive. Mondays were always the grocery store days, and in the mornings he'd clip coupons from the three or four grocery stores in our area and stack them in all these piles on the table. He also had printouts for the grocery stores that said the things he usually got from which aisle, and he'd circle what we needed that trip. He'd usually take one or two of the kids with us and we'd fill at least one cart in the major grocery store to the brim, and sometimes we needed two carts (those were the fun days!), and before we checked out, my dad would count his coupons to make sure he got every discount.

- I make Keith buy me things. That's what boyfriends are for, right?

- I convince myself I don't need things. That's the biggest way I save money. When I go to Target or Home Goods or Old Navy or somewhere, I'll carry things around the store for a while and then convince myself that I don't really want or need them. Plus sometimes I'm too tired to stand in line.

- I don't drink soda. I used to spend so much money buying fountain Diet Cokes, but since I quit soda at the end of August that expense has disappeared. Dolla dolla bills.

Now it's your turn. How do you save money? Tell me so I can implement your tactics and be a total baller. Thanks.

26 comments:

  1. I saw the same show about the guy who took home the leftover drinks from the bar he worked at!!!!!!! I tried to explain this to a friend and they didn't believe me so thank you for confirming I did not make that up! I have no money saving tricks.. probably why I am so broke all the time. I want to start selling old clothes online but not sure how to go about that yet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUIT SODA? NO DIET COKE? I'm confused.

    #worstthingever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save money by trying to only buy things when they're on sale. I don't care if I wasn't planning to buy it anyway. If it's on sale, I totally just saved money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I definitely WON'T tell you that when my roommate doesn't empty the coffee grounds and lets them sit there in the coffee pot for days.. they GROW MOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut my dryer sheets in half.....I mean do we really need to use a full one every time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to comment on the walking around the store, convincing yourself you don't need something, thing... because I totally do that too. Then I leave whatever item I don't need somewhere where it doesn't go and then on the drive home I feel bad because A. I really want that item and B. Someone is going to have to take that shirt from the dog food aisle allllll the way back to the clothing section and that's not nice of me. I'm a bad human.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to quit soda!! Ugh. And I'm the same way with talking myself out of things. Another way I save money is by putting all of my cards in a drawer when I go out so that I can only use the little bit of cash I took out. It usually ends up with me begging someone to buy me a drink, but whatevs. Free drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the mouthwash thing too.

    ...

    OH MY GOSH I'M JUST KIDDING THAT'S DISGUSTING. I do save a ton of money on floss by only flossing once a year the day before I go to the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely a fan of making boyfriends buy us shit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i do the same thing when i am in stores!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That show makes me cringe beyond belief. There was one guy with washed and dried paper towels and paper towels for reuse. I almost barfed. Who does that? I love my Target red debit card. It's awesome. Boyfriends make saving money so much easier when they just buy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In college my biggest money saving tip was never getting a basket when I went to Walmart, unless I needed to buy bottled water. That way I could only buy what I could carry. It seriously cut down on impulse buys

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've watched that show a few times and I am always shocked at some of the measures some people go to. One guy would take his wife out to eat on very rare and special occasions, then he would go around and ask the other patrons if they were done with their food and if he could take it. So strange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you see the episode where the husband performed his wife's tooth extraction (or maybe it was a crown?) so they could save money by not going to the dentist. Uhhh... no thanks! I love using the Red Card & I always make sure to use Cartwheel whenever I'm at Target too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try to not buy clothing and shoes unless they're on sale, and when I go shopping for gifts I try to find coupons online or mailers. When shopping online, I price check multiple sites, and I try to get free shipping whenever possible. I rarely buy cds or books because I rent them from the library. I kind of feel guilty about this one because I'm not spending the money to support the artist/author, but I just can't be spending money on that stuff left and right. Lastly...I MAKE money by earning points on Swagbucks and Bing Rewards and redeeming them for Amazon gift cards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally gagged with the whole Chinese food thing!! Target Red Card for sure and the cartwheel app too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I literally gagged at the thought of drinking someone's leftover drink or eating Chinese food that came out of a DUMPSTER! Gross. I love the Target Red Card, and I also walk around stores trying to convince myself that I don't need everything in my basket. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To save money I go shopping at my discount grocery store where they only accept debit cards or food stamps as payment. Oh and I only buy wine that comes in a box or in a $3 bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay: I'll admit, back in undergrad my friends would go to dunkin donuts and get the leftover donuts….but the store very kindly would put them all in a clean trash bag for them. So it was literally just the day's leftovers, handed over to us poor art students. :p But eating old Chinese food out of the dumpster? Yuuuck yuck yuck. I'm trying to think if I do anything crazy cheapskate-ish these days….I don't drink coffee at all, so that saves me loads of money, but that's mostly because I don't want to become addicted to it (my mom used to have horrible caffeine headaches whenever she'd try quitting it). Also, most times that we go to eat out, my husband and I will split an appetizer and a single entree, but that's also because restaurants give SO much food and we're trying to be better about being healthy and not over eating. It does save loads of money, though, and makes it easier to go out with friends more often. Both of us usually drink water if we're out to dinner (we'll splurge occasionally on soda) - we do order alcoholic beverages though if we're going out to a bar.
    xox
    giedre

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never seen this show but it sounds fascinating! People really get into saving money to the point where they do ridiculous things haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU QUIT DIET COKE.
    I NEED THAT SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I watched that tv show and went TOTALLY mad over some methods. Like I watched a Chinese/Japanese girl who had been using same shorts for years and used dustbins to get herself food. THAT WAS INSANE!!
    PS: I don't save money and regret it at the end of every month!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am very happy today for what God used doctor Adodo a great spell caster to do in my life. i had misunderstanding with my husband in the past and so it led us breaking up for 3 years but one day i saw a post of Jamie who posted on the internet that Doctor Adodo a great spell caster helped her with a spell that brought her Husband back so i decided to contact Doctor Adodo the great Spell caster to help me and he assured me that my Husband will come back to me. luckily today i am very glad to write on this wall that Nick my husband has come back to me as the great spell caster Doctor Adodo said. Do you have a relationships problem or in your office and you think it is over? worry no more because Doctor Adodo the great spell caster can help you just as he helped me bring my Husband back okay. conntact Doctor Adodo today via email: Adodospelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348107527833

    ReplyDelete
  24. I buy meat that is on sale because it only had one day left before it expires. As soon as we come home, it goes into the freezer. That way, it lasts as long as I want, but I get it much cheaper.
    I only buy things if I have a coupon or it's on sale.
    I also have a spreadsheet of the things we buy most frequently with the store and price so I know what's truly the best deal. Just because Walgreens has it on sale doesn't mean that it's cheaper than Walmart's normal price.
    And that. I shop at Walmart. I am not above it when it comes to saving money. I buy toiletries, and food there, except meat and produce. That I shop for at the larger grocery store here.
    Speaking of Walmart, price matching. They will price match any other store. And most cashiers take your word for it and don't make you bring the other stores ad in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. barnes and noble's readers advantage card. sure you pay for the thing, but... i buy a lot of books. it pays for itself in like two months. and then i've got ten months of discounts. or something like that.

    cinemark theaters offer tickets at half price on tuesdays. i try to wait to watch movies until then. or i go to the first showing. or i buy tickets at the kiosk inside and fudge on the full-price bit.

    i get kids meals at places like fudrucker's and pappadeaux's. there's plenty of food in those things, and they cost half as much.

    i make my parents by me the things.

    ReplyDelete