Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What I unpacked first

Have you ever been asked, "If your house was on fire and all people and animals were safe, what one material possession would you want to save?" Of course you have. Everybody has. When I was younger I would give cliche answers, like "my Bible," or "a photo album," or "my journal," or "Mr. Quackers." (Actually I would still probably save Mr. Quackers.) Today, I probably wouldn't grab any of those things. I bet most of us would grab one thing: our phones. For me, that's where everything is. That's where my photos are, that's where texts are, that's how I access my journal (blog), etc etc and stuff.
When I moved, I thought about that question fairly frequently because I was going through boxes, trying to decide what was important enough to me to want to keep, and what I could live without. Spoiler alert: I could actually live without most things that I have. Humans are materialistic bishes. I ended up getting rid of a lot of things: 6 bags of clothes, 2 boxes of "stuff" (purses, picture frames, stuff like that), and random bits of paper from college that had doodles or my signature with somebody else's last name (Keith's, Christian Bale, Elijah Wood, you know, totally normal stuff). Purging felt good.
Once the drive had been made and my boxes were out of the cars, I had what I felt was a similar predicament to the old, What would you save if your house was on fire? question:
What should I unpack first?

What was important enough to me that I pulled it from the boxes before anything else? What could I absolutely not live without? Well, LET ME JUST GO AHEAD AND TELL YOU YOU'RE WELCOME.
1) My Brita pitcher. I bought a new pitcher just before I moved and I was weirdly excited to unpack it and put it in the fridge. I need a Brita pitcher because I am high maintenance and I WILL NOT drink tap water unless the circumstances are dire. My preferred waters to drink are: Aquafina, Arrowhead (but only from the one gallon plastic bottles, if you give me one of the 16 oz or whatever bottles I will look at you like you're crazy because that stuff is disgusting), Nestle, Brita water, and then tap water if I'm dying. I'm a part of the group that does NOT think all water tastes the same. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T. Also when I was a baby and my parents tried to give me tap water it gave me diarrhea so I like, have a legit allergy or something.
If you don't know what this gif is from I feel sad for you.
2) My bathroom stuff. Because I needed to shower and brush my teeth, duh.
3) My coffee pot. It took me about 4 hours to find my coffee pot, and it was in the first place I'd looked, I just hadn't looked hard enough. It was in my laundry basket underneath my shoe container. That makes sense, right? I needed my coffee pot because drinking coffee is one of my addictions. I don't drink coffee for the taste or for the caffeine, I drink it for the same reason people smoke: because bringing the mug to my mouth and sipping is what I'm addicted to and I'm not going to stop and I needed my coffee pot.
4) A nail file. Do you know how many nails get broken when you're moving? At least 4. And I loathe few things more than I loathe jagged nails.
The end. What would you unpack first? DOES DIFFERENT WATER TASTE DIFFERENT TO YOU?

22 comments:

  1. OH my gosh, I have never met anyone else that thinks that Arrowhead in the 16oz bottles tastes disgusting too! I'll drink the gallon of it as well, for some reason that tastes just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brita pitchers are pretty much the best things ever. I was lucky when I moved because my aunt and cousin started unpacking the kitchen for me. (Of course, then I couldn't find anything.) But the first thing I unpacked was my phone charger because my stupid iPhone can't stay charged for more than 10 seconds apparently. And WHY ARE PHONE CHARGERS SO HARD TO FIND?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, when you said "jagged nails" I got chills and dug my nails into my hand because I could actually FEEL the jagged-ness you speak of. Gag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think different water tastes different. I've noticed that mostly with bottles of water, some taste sweet to me..it's strange because it should taste like ummmm water?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I am definitely not a tap water snob. Confession - I have drank water from the water hose. Don't tell anyone though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty sure my Keurig would be one of the first things I unpack because well a girl has gotta have her coffee... especially when moving! And I agree that tap water definitely tastes different as do different brands of bottled water. We have a Pur water filter on our kitchen sink and then after it is filtered through that we use a Brita filter because yup, I am that crazy girl who has to double filter her water to be able to drink it lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fee like you posted that gif just to trap me and laugh at me. In which case, point Tiffin. Water definitely DOES taste different in different places, though I’m not sure I understand the difference between the gallon and the 16 ounce bottles. I drank Arrowhead water once when I was out of town somewhere obviously not exciting because I forgot, and it was quite tasty. We have Ozarka here. Do you have that? What about Sam’s Choice from Walmart? No? Just me? Bueller?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate tap water! It tastes sooo bad. It tastes even worse when you get to beach towns. Or Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Water does taste different to me, but I refuse to drink any sort of bottled water because I'm an environmentalist snob . So I drink filtered water only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tap water is absolutely disgusting. Some people say that all water tastes the same and that it so wrong, like you obviously cannot taste it??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. Unpacking everything you own is only slightly less painful than packing up everything you own. We moved mid-October and the house is just now getting to the the point that unpacking is practical (walls are painted and we will have kitchen counters tomorrow). We've unpacked laptops, bedding, some clothing, and toiletries so far. The items that I am wishing I could unpack right this very moment but can't seem to locate: my blazer, my tall boots, and my iron. My husband's brother is getting married this weekend and I'm going to be one cranky pregnant lady if I can't find those items before this weekend. And if I weren't pregnant, the coffee pot would definitely be at the top of my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL at the water situation in China... you can't drink tap water at all. #secondworldproblems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even like using tap water to brush my teeth at night.......brita water all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha I'm one of those weird people that can drink tap water but I also threw a fit until my boss supplied a Brita filter for us soooo I pick and choose haha.
    I'm moving this weekend and packing/unpacking is my NIGHTMARE. I've commissioned one of my guy friends to be in charge of unpacking my shoes for me hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. No two waters taste the same! I like a creamy water (sorry if that sounds really gross) like Evian, but will accept most other bottled brands, and tap if it is a really dire situation, like a hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As someone who has procrastinated for months after a move, I have realized all the belongings I really like fit inside a three drawer plastic bin. So yeah, I should probably try again. Also I hate Walmart bottled water! I would rather drink from the tap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why hello fellow "water tastes different" club member. I 100% think it tastes different. I'm said that "my favoritest picture in the whole world of Allie and I" didn't make this list. I mean okay, so you don't really have one of those, but hellllllo photoshop?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that the first thing I would grab is my computer tower because it has all of our photos on it. I have been meaning to get an external hard drive to store them but haven't gotten around to it. Oh, and I really need to go on a purging spree when it comes to stuff. I have WAY too much. Also, water definitely does taste different! We use a filter on our sink faucet because I am weird about drinking tap water. I can also attest to different brands of bottled water tasting totally different from others.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely think all water tastes different! I basically don't like any water except for the well water at my parents' house. And now I live in a city where the water is so disgusting I have to drink bottled water all the time. It's the worst. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea you were such a qater snob. Nestle water is DISGUSTING. Gross.
    I'm the same as you - I have water preferences, but I prefer Dasani, aquafina, and I love tap water. But probably because I have Canadian tap water and it's clearly better. I need to send you glacier water - it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Different water DEFINITELY tastes different! I argue about this with people all the damn time. THEY'RE WRONG, WE'RE RIGHT. It's science.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Water DOES taste different! I'm not a big water fan so I can taste the difference. I used to drink tap water when I lived in St. Louis because I grew up drinking it so it tasted normal. But now that I've moved away, (to a place with the worst/most dangerous water in the country), I drink filtered water from my fridge, bottled water, or from the water cooler at work. So now, when I go home, I cannot STAND tap water. GROSS!!!

    ReplyDelete