Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Keith and Juliette's DAY. OF. FUN!

Keith and I had a really fun day yesterday and I"m going to write all about it because I'm putting off doing dishes and laundry and working on my novel and showering, and this blogging is the best procrastination aside from Netflix and sleeping.
So on Tuesday after I put my eyebrows on, we jumped in the car to head down to Buena Park, California to see the Titanic Artifacts Exhibit. Our tickets (purchased through Groupon which I don't know how to work but Keith does so I win and don't have to pay) would have expired on Saturday so we decided to just go yesterday. When we travel (and yes, an hour and a half drive to LA is traveling, shut up) I drive and Keith navigates. We've figured out this works the best for us because I'm really bad with giving directions. Remember that I said this because it'll come into play later on. Twice.

We got in the car and I pulled out my phone to take a picture and Keith said, "What are you doing?" and I said, "I'm taking a picture, do you not know me at all? Smile. NOW."

We stopped so I could get a coffee at Starbucks and I committed the cardinal sin of not taking a picture of my first red cup, but I mean, everybody knows what the red cups look like, right? My Taylor Swift 1989 CD was in the CD player already and it stayed on the entire day because Keith said he would rather listen to Taylor Swift than "that Lady Antebellum crap."
These are details you probably don't need.
So, we walked into the place and I saw this sign
and then I saw a sign that said "NO CELL PHONES AND NO PHOTOGRAPHY" and I was like wow these people need to take a chill pill. So I put my phone in my purse with every intention of trying not to take any more pictures but then I saw the worst fashion faux pas there ever was and I had to take a picture of it.
Don't tell me that I can download the pictures right from Snapchat so I don't have to take a screenshot (BECCA). I keep forgetting to give Snapchat access to my photos until it's too late so you're stuck with a screenshot STOP COMPLAINING.
The exhibit was AMAZING. I love Titanic. Not just the movie with Leonardo and Kate (MY FAVORITES), but the history of it and everything, even though thinking about the sinking and the tragedy makes me incredibly sad because it was completely horrific and devastating. They have it all set up so you can go through all these different rooms and see all these artifacts they pulled up from the wreckage 2.5 miles below the surface of the Atlantic. They had coins, bills, dishes, clothes, toilets, pieces of the ship... if you're close to one of the locations I highly suggest you go see it.
When you enter the exhibit they give you a "boarding pass" of an actual person who was on Titanic, and at the end you find the person's name and find out if you survived or were lost. I was a 1st class passenger so I was pretty convinced I would have survived but... I didn't. In most of the rooms they had photos and biographies of passengers and staff and at the end it told whether they survived or were lost. It was very sobering and I got a little teary at several points because when you're seeing these things and reading these things it just makes it so much more real than if you're just watching it on tv or something.
It took us a little over an hour to go through the whole thing. There were a few children on our tour who were really well behaved, and there was one toddler who cried just about the entire time. I try to be pretty understanding of parents with small children but this one cried the whole time. Oh and there was a service poodle who was being pushed around in a doggy stroller and we had to make sure not to be around that because it kept making me giggle like a schoolgirl because I'm so mature.
After the museum we went down the street to get frozen yogurt. On our first date in January, 2006 we went to Knott's Berry Farm and we got frozen yogurt. Yesterday we could see the roller coasters at Knott's and it was really nostalgic and I kept saying, "AWWWWWWW THIS IS SO ROMANTIC" and he was like, "Yup."
Then we each ate about a pound of frozen yogurt and proceeded to feel very sick.
 Then, we:

-went to Costco for pizza
-went to what was supposed to be a Target "outlet" but was just a normal Target
-went to LA to see the outside of Paddy's Irish Pub from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
-saw some filming happening outside of the building
-took some pictures on Keith's phone because mine wouldn't let me take more photos
-convinced the security people that we were "background extras" so we could stay and watch the filming of NCIS happening

Then we left and Keith said, "Turn left at the next street" and I proceeded to just drive straight because my mind didn't comprehend that the street to my left was the street I needed. So then we accidentally got on the wrong freeway and had to make a U-turn and drove through more of LA and saw old buildings and I danced to more Taylor Swift.

THEN we drove to Riverside where we had a fancy dinner of spicy chicken sandwiches from Carl's Jr. and then we went to a bar to see Keith's friend's band play and that, friends, is where I had the most entertaining night of my whole life (that is an exaggeration).

THERE WAS A SWINGERS CLUB HAPPENING UPSTAIRS.

I feel like maybe the swingers club should be a separate blog post but I'm on a roll so let's just go with it. I snapped a really grainy blurry picture of the club
and I met some swingers in the bathroom twice and one of them was wearing a wig and the second time they all smelled like weed and it was SO strong I thought I was going to die. And most of the dresses were so short that we actually saw buttcheeks. And apparently this is a regular thing that happens on the second Tuesday of every month. And I'm just wondering, like, are these people friends outside of swingers club? And if they want to hang out outside of swingers club do they have to make sure it's clear that they're getting together to hang out and not to swing? And how did this even start? And why was that one guy holding his throat the whole time? And why couldn't they have worn dresses that covered there butts?
Oh and the band was really really good.
And then on the way home Keith said "Ok now get on the 210 from the 215" and I said "OK" but then "Shake It Off" came on the CD and I danced and sang and Keith laughed at me and then he said "YOU MISSED THE 210" and I said "Really? How did that happen? Why weren't you paying attention?" and he asked me how long it would have taken me to notice that I hadn't hit the 210 yet and I said "Probably an hour depending on how soon I had to pee" and then I said "I'll just take an exit and turn around" and he said "NO we'll just find a street name I recognize and I'll get us home" so we found a street name he recognized and then we got EVEN MORE LOST and then finally we did it my way but I was going to go west instead of east and he was like "REALLY YOU WERE GOING TO TAKE US TO PASADENA INSTEAD OF WHERE WE NEED TO GO? WE WOULD HAVE ENDED UP IN LA" but don't worry we were both laughing the entire time and we finally made it home and now I'm here posting this blog and I think this entire paragraph is a run on sentence and this sets a record on my blog for my longest run on sentence.
SO YOU ALL JUST WITNESSED HISTORY.
Tomorrow, Rachael and I are hosting our "Writer's Block" linkup! Are you doing National Novel Writing Month (#NaNoWriMo)? Are you writing a book? Are you a blogger? Tell us about what you're writing, your inspiration, your process... whatever you want!


12 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post, it sounds like the most fun day ever. I wish you had snuck a picture of the service poodle being pushed around, I would have liked to see that. Now I’m just very curious about swingers and also excited for the linkup tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was I supposed to read that title in the tone of "Joey and Janice's DAY. OF. FUN."? Because I totally did and I really hope that made sense to you. The Titanic museum sounds really cool, I'd love to see some of those things... but yeah I'd probably cry excessively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COSTCO PIZZA.

    I was about to flip shit if there was such a thing as a Target outlet and I didn't know about it. Crisis averted.

    I love everything Titanic as well and always watch those documentaries (the good and the bad) about all the crazy shit they found and continue to find down there. SO COOL. I need to see this exhibit ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But apparently it's only for people in NV, CA, and FL. That's rude.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! We only have to travel about an hour and a half to LA too haha. We call it traveling too so it's perfectly okay. I would so much rather drive too! I hate directions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. first, teach me your eye brow ways. second this sounds like a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous!!!!!! And also mad that you couldn't take pics. Although the sandles pic pretty much makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the Titanic exhibition when it was in Melbourne a few years ago and yep, my person died too. I cried through most of it as well! Did they have the iceberg there? There was a fake one at the exhibition that was the same temperature as the water the night the Titanic sank and you could put your hands on it and DAMN was it incredibly cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO excited about our linkup tomorrow! Oh, and also... the swingers club. DIED at that snapchat :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um I'm just totally jealous of your WHOLE DAY. Except for the frozen yogurt part because I can have FREE froyo anytime I want so you should be jealous of me for that. Also, I would like to know, why did neither of you pull our your super SMART phones and use the built in GPS to get you home?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous of the Titanic fun! I am so interested in the history of the Titanic! We have a house at Table Rock Lake, which is like 10 miles from Branson, Missouri and they have a giant Titanic exhibit and I've always wanted to go but no one else does. They don't want to waste any sun time and prefer to be on the water. (Which I do too but want to do this just once!).
    Swingers....I don't get it. I don't want anyone else with Nick and have no desire to be with anyone else. I'm pretty sure we met swingers once in a bar but we weren't too sure. Nick said they weren't but I was definitely picking up on the flirtatious vibe and semi-intrusive questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh! That sounds like a lot of fun! I think I might check it out (if I can drag my husband with me).

    ReplyDelete