Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I don't even know my address

It's true. I have no idea what my actual address is, and until a few days ago I didn't even know what town I live in.

If I haven't been clear about this on my blog, here it is: Keith and I aren't living together. His parents are very generously and graciously allowing me to live in the house they have about 10 minutes away from Keith. So really, it's the best of both worlds. I still get to technically live alone, but when my boyfriend is home from work I get to hang out with him and watch TV and stuff. And FYI, "and stuff" means watch TV. We have like forty-seven billion shows that we're watching right now ... some that are on currently and some that we are trying to catch up on, like Amazing Race from 2013 and Survivor from this past spring. And some are brand new shows that we haven't gotten around to watching yet, like Gotham. 

But anyway, back to the address. Here in the mountains, mail doesn't get delivered to homes, it gets delivered to PO boxes. I'm using Keith's PO box for all my mailing needs because his parents don't have a PO box and I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting my own. So I know my mailing address but if you were to ask me my address of residence I'd be like ... deer in the headlights. I don't think it really matters though ... at least not yet. I'm sure it will when people want to come visit and I'm like, "Uh, just drive around and look for the green house with the awesome deck."
Isn't it fun reading all this stuff about my address? You're welcome. Since I'm already on a roll I'll just go ahead and share with you some bits and pieces of what my life has been like for the past week and a half.

// I still like this guy. Weird, right? Especially considering the SF Giants are currently playing (and leading) in the World Series. It's pretty painful and the mimosas I've consumed have slightly helped ease the blow to my ego but all the orange and black still hurts my eyes.


// My days have pretty much been filled with organizing and job hunting. When I moved here, Keith and I just dumped all of my boxes into his spare room because I didn't feel like figuring out what to keep at his house and what to take to his parents' house. But now that I've had nothing but time to watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix organize and stuff, I've had to go through boxes and figure out what I can store in the extra closets at Keith's and what I'll need on a daily basis. And then there are things like my vegetable steamer and coffee creamer, that I know I'll need to use on a daily basis but I'm not sure if I want to use them at my house or at Keith's. For now, they're both at Keith's because that's where the cable and internet is.

// Did you know that when you spend all week watching Netflix and adjusting to living in a new place you get really really tired? I figured that out over the weekend when Keith found me cuddling and sleeping with his beagle, Clementine. Can we also please pay attention to what a good blogger boyfriend he is for taking this picture without even being asked? THIS IS CALLED CANDID.
// Last week, on Tuesday I think, I decided to make a trip to the grocery store. You need to understand, there's a grocery store just down the street from Keith, and then there's a Stater Bros like 15 minutes away. The grocery store close to Keith jacks up the prices on things because it's not a chain, and Stater Bros has normal prices. Like, based on this close grocery store I feel like I understand what Faith and the other Canadians are complaining about when they say that Canada has such high prices on alcohol. Faith, maybe this grocery store is Canadian! If it is, I feel sorry for you. 

Anyway, I decided I was going to take some back roads to Stater Bros so I just went on my merry way listening to Lady Antebellum 747 and didn't get nervous until I saw signs for "North Bay" and a "museum" and I have never seen these signs before EVER. SO I did the most reasonable thing: I kept my GPS off and I just kept on driving. Here was my reasoning: up in the mountains ALLLLLLL of the roads are winding and it's really hard for a FLATLANDER like me to recognize the roads, so I just stupidly figured I would eventually get where I needed to be. And I did ... after I had turned on my GPS. If I hadn't done that I have no idea how long I would have traipsed all over the mountains. But when I finally got to my destination this is what I saw and that helped my freakout session lessen.
// Sometimes when you have blogs posts to pen and boxes to organize you end up just drinking a mimosa and staring at the forward facing camera on your iPhone 4s.
// I've been spending some quality time with Keith's dogs: Nostril and Clementine. You read me right, the golden retriever is named Nostril. Keith is aware that his future naming privileges have been revoked and he thinks I'm joking but I swear I'm not. 

// I finally found some radio stations to listen to in the car.

// I seriously LOVE it here. Like SO MUCH.

 That's all for now because I have to go switch  my laundry.

24 comments:

  1. Clementine is giving Keith the "really dad? why are you letting this lady pretend to take pictures with me while she's sleeping?" face.... and Nostril? Like where did that even come from? Does she only have one nostril? Does she have a weird breathing condition? Like help a girl out and explain it for me, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started rewatching GIlmore Girls on Netflix.. I forgot how good it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutest puppy friends! I'm watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix pretty much exclusively right now and all is right with the world. So glad you're really loving your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a radio station is HARD. I commend you for managing to accomplish that so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I moved a few hours away after college, and was only there for 8 or 9 months, but by the time I left I STILL hadn't found any good radio stations.And those pups are adorable- I would probably spend most of my time pretending to look for work, but really self-sabotaging the search so I could stay home and be a dog mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dying of cuteness because of the pups. Dying of laughter because nostril.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww mountain living looks good on you friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to live in the mountains - sooo pretty!! Actually, at this point I'll take a HOUSE anywhere. My teeeeny tiny apartment is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet your grocery store is fake canadian and I'm sorry for you because I know how expensive all the things are. it's rough.

    also, YOU SLEPT WITH CLEMENTINE. LOOK AT YOU, YOU BIG SOFTY. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nostril is officially the best-worst name I have ever heard for a pet. And I have heard some good ones. PS I FINALLY FOUND THE PERFECT GIF FOR YOU!!!! Look!!! http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/gretchencandycanes422.gif Thank you buzzfeed. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nostril. Where the hell did that even come from?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember when you said you hates dogs? I bet you would LURVEEE Lily. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So stinkin cute! I would love to know what city you're in.. That photo of the view is gorgeous! Glad you're loving it up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That puppy is too pretty to be named Nostril. Shame on Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww yay for settling in so well! I'm super jealous that Keith takes CUTE sleeping pics of you, because the sleeping pics Tim takes of me are AWFUL. I mean, it's possible that I'm just not a cuter sleeper, but I like to think it's all in the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww so happy! More scenery pictures please

    ReplyDelete
  17. Addresses up here really are no biggie, unless you're getting pizza delivered... In that case be prepared to know all street names and explain how to draw it on the map... UGH! I love that you like living up here. The mountain is small enough to recognize people, but big enough not to have everyone up in your shiz. Just remember your street name and don't use things like pine trees as landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummmmmm I need to show this to Mark so he can learn how to take cute candid pictures of me and stop taking the ones where I look like a zombie passed out with my arm distorted over my head. I swear since Gilmore Girls came out on Netflix.....I have lost about 2 hours of my day.....every day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have lived in Denver for 3 years and have still not figured out the radio stations yet...ugh! Nostril...that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bahahahah I do the whole "just drinking a mimosa and staring at the forward facing camera on your iPhone 4s" except with a Galaxy s5 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can completely relate to the address situation. I was constantly looking up my address online before I moved trying to memorize it. I've pretty much got it down now but I still have to double check. Nostril is a cute/funny name for sure. It is definitely unique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lol, I don't think I was aware there were places in the continental USA that don't have mailboxes. Crrraazzzyyyy! The photos look GORGEOUS though! So jealous of your mountains!!! Chicago is So so so so SO flat. :/
    xox
    giedre

    ReplyDelete
  23. who cares if you don't know your own address when everything is SO BEAUTIFUL.

    also, you appear to be turning into SUCH an awesome dog lover and that makes me happy, but hazel is beside herself with joy.

    ReplyDelete