Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ways I've tried [and failed] to lose the weight

I've always struggled with my weight. Who hasn't? I talked about it in this post, but it's not something I regularly bring up. I just don't feel like I have much to say on the topic of weight that hasn't been covered by somebody else. Am I insecure? Absolutely. Do I judge and criticize every part of my body in the mirror? Of course. Have I made an effort to change the things I don't like instead of just feeling bad about my shapeless legs or dimply butt? Sure. And that's what I decided to write about: the ways I've tried to lose weight that maybe weren't the best ideas. Ready?
ViSalus. ViSalus is a powder that you use to make shakes. There are a lot of ways to use the powder but what I did was just put the powder in 2 cups of skim milk and drink it like that for two meals a day. One of those drinks was about 250 calories. THAT'S IT. Usually I'd do this for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner I'd have vegetables or an apples. No protein, no carbs, nothing. I think I was eating like, 600 calories/day. NOT ENOUGH. I even ordered these "metabolism boosting" pills because I wanted results more quickly because of instant gratification. And you know what? IT TOTALLY WORKED for like two weeks. I think I lost about 15 pounds, but after those two weeks I was like OMG I AM STARVING AND I NEED FOOD. Jacey was doing ViSalus with me (she had a much more healthy approach and actually ate real food with substance) and one night we decided we were hungry and screw ViSalus so we ate a loaf of French bread and a bottle of wine. And then I broke up with ViSalus because I missed chewing my food and then I gained all the weight back.

**I'm sure ViSalus is effective if used correctly, but the way I did it was not the way it is supposed to be used. I'm not bashing ViSalus at all, I'm simply saying that it wasn't effective for me because I was way too extreme and didn't follow the instructions.**
Daily weigh-ins. Our bodies fluctuate. Water weight, bloating, other scientific stuff that I don't know, etc. By weighing myself every day I became obsessive and I expected too much from myself. I had a digital scale, and if I saw a gain of even .01 pound, I berated myself. I've read that weekly weigh-ins, or not weighing yourself at all and measuring instead work much better, and I think that's true. Plus, it's not realistic (or healthy!) to expect to lost 5 pounds every single week. Just no.

Tracking my food like a fiend. I had a little notebook and I wrote down everything I ate. EVERYTHING. "For breakfast I ate a bagel thin with an egg and 7 almonds. For a snack I ate 3 pretzels. For another snack I took a bite out of an apple." I also wrote down my weight every day. Every. Single. Day. While I do think there's something to be said for writing down what you eat so you can see where you struggle, the way I did it was unhealthy. If I saw a number on the scale I didn't like, I'd look at my book and see what I could have cut out and shame myself into doing better from now on. You ate two eggs for breakfast. From now on you're just going to eat the egg whites.

Not eating. Yep, I've tried it in the past. And guess what? It didn't work. This is absolutely 100% NOT A GOOD IDEA. I'd go for a day or two without eating and see a loss on the scale, and then I'd be proud of myself but I'd also be starving, so I'd binge eat ALL OF THE THINGS. Bread, candy, ice cream... I would tell myself it was ok because I just wouldn't eat for the next two days. Spoiler alert: this was not effective or healthy in any way, shape, or form.
Playing the "if only" game aka complaining instead of changing. You know what I'm talking about. "If only I looked like I did in high school." "If only I was 10 pounds lighter." "If only I could fit into single digit sized pants." Etc etc etc and so on and so forth. I'd sit on the couch with a bag of chips/popcorn/popsicles and complain about my body instead of actually doing something about it. This has become one of my biggest pet peeves. If you're not happy with an aspect of your life, CHANGE IT! (In a healthy way, of course.) Complaining literally did nothing but make me feel worse. Plus I'm sure it drove my friends absolutely insane.
It's been a while since I utilized any of these unhealthy attempts to lose weight, and over the past few months I've actually been pretty successful in getting healthier and, in turn, losing weight. But this post is already long enough so I'll save my "success" post for another day. It's been said countless times that the most important thing is not the number on the scale, it's living a healthy lifestyle. I don't think that can be said enough. Skinny is not important. Healthy is important.
Have you ever used drastic measures to try and lose weight? What healthy ways have you discovered that make you feel better and, in turn, look better?

15 comments:

  1. I’m pretty sure that I’ve felt every single one of the ways you said you felt, and I’m also pretty sure that I’ve tried every single way you mentioned to lose weight (except weighing myself every day because I don’t own a scale). It’s hard, yo. But I’m proud of you for hiking so much and going bread-less and making healthy choices. And I say screw you, pants size, like J said healthy is what matters, not skinny. And that’s a lot of seriousness for one day and I’m going to back off now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diets don't work. It's still so easy to fall into the diet trap though.

    Glad to hear that you are becoming healthier! I need to figure out how to get on that train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Skinny is not important, healthy is". You totally nailed it there, a lot of people need to realize this! Good luck on your road to a healthier lifestyle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I was a scale obsesser too. Seriously - I would only go out to the bar with my friends if I weighed UNDER a certain amount. UM NOT OK! I haven't weighed myself in years and I still look back at pictures and think I look better now. Stupid scale

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH I have been here. I don't own a scale for this reason and I don't track food anymore because I become totally obsessive. I have learned how to stop eating when I am full, and eat smaller meals throughout the day. I drink a crap ton of water, rarely eat out, and shop in the produce aisle at the store FIRST. I rarely buy frozen or processed foods because I know having them in the house is dangerous for me. You're totally not alone. For me it has just been one big learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always used MyFitnessPal to lose weight. It is a calorie tracker, but for me it has always been a positive tool. Like if I ate a breakfast sandwich that was 300 calories and saw that I could swap out my egg with Egg Betters and still have that same sandwich but save 100 calories, then I would do it. I think though that if it's something that makes you anxious about using, then it's probably not the best option for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. Just ugh. I feel all the feels that you feel. Ya feel?

    Seriously though. I've done it all too. And I've also heard it all. From "Your legs are looking a little flabby" (HI THANKS MOM) to "OMG you're so skinny you don't need to lose weight!" It's all whatever. I did read a post yesterday from one of my fave fitness bloggers about "the last five pounds" that I liked! http://www.hungryrunnergirl.com/2014/09/losing-the-last-5-lbs.html

    But basically you're hot so keep doin' what you're doin'. Just add more wine though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite way to lose weight is sit on the couch and eat cookie dough and not even care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's the nature of being a woman. I am incredibly insecure about my body and women hate on me for it. We all have our battles. I have no weight loss advice. Because I like food. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think all women have at some point or another used unhealthy ways to lose weight. But, when we look for the quick fix we only end up being unhappy in the end because we gain the weight back usually plus some. I know for me I'm inpatient and I want to lose weight quickly but in the past it has worked out better losing the weight slowly. I'm glad you have finally found a healthy way to lose weight and stay in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have literally done ALL of these! I still struggle but now I feel I am taking a healthier approach by breaking up with my scale and just trying to eat as fresh and as clean as possible. Does not mean I won't eat the occasional cookie dough Oreo though!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done every one of these too.

    The saddest way I ever lost weight was cutting out all alcohol for two months. I did lose weight and looked leaner (I was also eating healthy, yadda yadda) but I learned that I really, really missed wine and I'd rather be a little more curvy with a buzz, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Proud of you for taking the steps needed to make changes! If I weigh myself everyday, I get obsessive. Also, Shakeology didn't work for me, Weight Watchers didn't work for me. What did work for me? My Polar Watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to weigh myself EVERY day (sometimes multiple times a day) and me and my scale developed a really unhealthy relationship - so I broke up with it. When I moved, I left my scale with Derek, and now that I'm only over there maybe once a week, that's all I weigh myself. Now we have a much happier relationship! Also, I work out all the time to counteract my unhealthy eating habits. I'm not saying that's the "right" way, but it keeps me from looking like a whale and I still get to enjoy multiple glasses of wine and one sitting and all. the. cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, this might be weird, but when I was losing the bulk of the weight in college, I would buy pants that were a size to small. And make myself where them. It's really hard to get seconds or eat a ton when your stomach is already being squeezed. And if I didn't like the way my stomach puffed out around the band or that I couldn't wear certain tops with those pants, I used it as motivation and kept making myself wear them. Is it healthy? I don't know. I wasn't starving myself or hurting myself or anything, but I was certainly being pretty hard on myself by forcing the issue the entire time I was wearing those pants.

    ReplyDelete