Thursday, August 28, 2014

My first camping trip is this weekend

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your sweet encouraging comments on yesterday's post. You are all amazing and I can't tell you how much it all meant to me!

HAPPY FRIDAY! Just kidding, it's Thursday. Except for me, it's Friday because I'm taking tomorrow off so I can enjoy a wonderful four day weekend in the most beautiful place in the world: Yosemite. The only time I've ever been to Yosemite was when I was too little to remember anything so I'm basing my opinion of "most beautiful place in the world" completely on hearsay and Google images. But I mean, see for yourself.

Photo from here.
We're going actual camping. Like, in a tent with sleeping bags and with warnings about bears. The only other time I went camping was when I was like 13 and my youth group went "camping" and you had to bring your own food so I brought some sliced turkey, a loaf of WonderBread, 1 liter of Dr. Pepper, and cinnamon Pop Tarts that I thought were S'mores Pop Tarts until I bit into a [cold] one and realized to my horror that I had made a huge mistake.
This camping trip will be different. Mostly because we'll be making gourmet s'mores. I found this post on Buzzfeed and after I wiped the drool off my keyboard and chin I decided we'd absolutely be making Reese's s'mores and then I really wanted to do Nutella s'mores but I kept having these visions of me hiding in some bushes by a tree eating Nutella out of the jar with a stick and then throwing it up on one of our hikes, so I stuck with Reese's and cookies and cream Hershey's bars. Self-control at its finest. You know how else I exhibited self-control? I did not eat any of the s'mores ingredients last night. NOT A THING. I definitely sniffed the packages a lot but I didn't open anything.
When I asked Keith if he wanted me to bring the one wire hanger I found in my closet when I went through and replaced all my mismatched colors with white ones he said, "Oh, I just figured we'd roast stuff on sticks we found at the camp site." I'll definitely be bringing the wire hanger but I appreciate that we're probably really going to be "roughing it." I told him I want to feel like I'm getting a true camping experience so even if the showers are close by I probably won't use them, and he said, "With how much you sweat when you're not even doing anything I'm gonna have to demand that you shower after a day of hiking."
Keith and I are meeting at his parents' house in the Valley tonight and then we're driving up to Yosemite tomorrow. I'm going to get to his parents' house around 8pm and he'll get there around 3am which means I'm going to have to interact with his parents all by myself without him around to act as a buffer. I love his parents and we get along really well, but I've never hung out with them without anybody else around and I'm feeling pretty nervous about it, but I think it will be a good bonding experience so I'm going to try really hard not to say, "Ok, I'm going to bed" at 830 and just hiding out in their guest bedroom.
I started packing for this trip last night and it didn't go well. Partly because most of my clothes were in the washer when I was packing but also because I looked at my little pile of hiking clothes and thought, there's no way this is enough for four days. But like, it IS actually enough for four days. Because we'll be in the wilderness. Hiking. And I don't need to pack my makeup or hair tools or a regular bra or Mr. Quackers and that's just a really foreign concept to me. I absolutely do have to remember to pack a pillow though, because I'm not 25 anymore and I don't think my body would survive a combination of sleeping on the hard ground and not having a pillow.
I think it's time to end this really long rambling post that is basically just telling you that I'm going camping for the first time and I'm going to be eating amazing s'mores. Please keep your fingers crossed that I don't get eaten by a bear or fall off a waterfall or get really sunburned or fall into the fire. Also please keep your fingers crossed that I don't do anything embarrassing at Keith's parents' house like break something or say something stupid or burp in front of them.
Also what is good camping food because so far all I'm planning on bringing is cans of like, chili and stuff.

22 comments:

  1. Do you have your bear spray?! I hear that's something people out west have on them like all the time. And I would make sure to bring alcohol, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reese's smores are actually the best. Like the best of the best. Cookies and cream smores are also delicious. Justin and I may have made both kinds when we were in Halifax - and I definitely didn't hate it.

    Please don't get eaten by bears, or fall off a mountain, or die any other way - I'm rather fond of you and would like to have you around gchat on Tuesday. kthxbye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 days of camping without a shower seems a little excessive. Just saying. I'll take my bed instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I want one of those smores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought was "Is Yosemite in California?" cause all I could think was that it was like in Arizona or Utah or something. Then my next thought when you said the Valley was Clueless and then I saw the s'mores ingredients and OMG gimme those. I have to agree with Keith. The not showering for four days is a little excessive, so don't do that. I'll be praying that you don't die this weekend, so please make sure to text me when you get home from your little adventure so I know you are alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look-up camping recipes on Pinterest! Also good call on the Reeses's s'mores. Those are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best camping food-foil packet potatoes with lots of butter, onion and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wine. Wine is good camping food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man, I am glad I'm not you. I don't want to camp. Like at all. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not had ANY s'mores this summer, which is ridiculous because I am pregnant and I want ALL THE S'MORES. But I don't want to go camping. Do you think they'd work on a barbecue?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I literally gasped at the "bit into a cinnamon sugar pop tart that I thought was s'mores." Cause that's thoroughly upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're heading camping in a few weeks -- and I can't wait! I haven't been since I was a kid. But my parents were TOO into camping, and had like the solar showers and camp fire ovens to bake pies to go with dinner. We never ate normal "camp" food ... so I don't really know what to bring for us, either -- other than hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love camping and go all the time so how I have not known about those fancy smores is beyond me. I'm so making them next trip. Have fun, be careful and take LOTS of pictures. Just remember, you don't ever have to worry about being eaten by a bear as long as you can run faster than at least one other person with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have fun! I wish I was camping with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you are bringing canned food, bring a can opener!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want your s'mores. Please report back on how good they are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can get roasting sticks at Target for a few bucks for 4, definitely worth the money! We cook hot dogs, breakfast burritos, biscuits and gravy, sandwiches for lunch, and walking tacos (taco fixings in Doritos bags if you're not Midwest savvy). Don't forget snacks and Starbucks instant coffee if you're into that caffeine stuff like most humans are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take ALL the pictures and have ALL the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So....any leftover s'more makings? I love care packages ;)
    I was always so paranoid when I would camp if I was on my period. I thought it might attract bears. Do they smell that kind of thing? Did you have metal locked boxes to put food in to keep the bears away??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE the cookies and cream Hershey bars and never even thought to use them on smores...now I want to build a campfire so I can make them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. QUESTION - did you make pudgy pies?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can't beat a good can of chili when you're camping. If you've done a day's hiking it'll taste even better, some rice or pasta with it and you have a hearty meal in less that ten minutes. Make sure you've got plenty of layers of clothing, it can be surprisingly cold at night but you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete