Monday, August 11, 2014

I sort of fell down a mountain

I've been dreading this particular Monday for a couple of weeks but now that it's here it's [so far] not as bad as I thought it would be. All I have for you today is a bunch of pictures from my hikes over the weekend but all you'll care about is the picture from when I fell down a mountain so let's just go ahead and get that picture out of the way and move on with our lives.


Ok so what happened was I decided to go on a hike up this mountain after work on Friday. I've hiked this trail countless times and I've had some close calls with falling but I've never actually fallen. And I mean, I fall ALL THE TIME, so almost falling doesn't phase me. Like one time I was just STANDING in the living room of my apartment and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. And alcohol was not involved. So anyway, I make it to the top of the mountain and I'm sweating pretty profusely and it smells delightful, and I decide I'm just really ready to be done with this hike so I can go look for Divergent at the RedBox and have a low-key night with some cheap wine filled with bugs and twigs and leave (TJ's $3 buck chuck) and feel good about myself for working out and being active. Well, I decided there couldn't be any harm in slowly jogging down the mountain (HAHAHAHA), so I started moving a little more quickly and I was NOT texting or tweeting or anything when this next part happened. I tripped on one of the bazillion rocks, flew through the air, and skidded on the path, ripping a giant hole in the knee of my favorite Old Navy compression pants and seriously wounding my pride. There was an older man on the path going the opposite direction and he turned and said "ARE YOU OK?!?" and I said "I'M FINE" and got up and walked down the mountain and sort of cried from embarrassment not from pain. Also from the sadness of ripping my pants.


I scraped my palm, elbow, and knee, but the knee is the worst. Every day the bruise around the "road rash" that my aunt says I have gets a little deeper and it's only painful when I kneel down which isn't very much. Oh but I did put hydrogen peroxide on it and I thought my limbs were going to fall off. OW.

So because I felt so secure with my hiking abilities on Friday, I decided to go on a hike with a friend on Saturday because I'm a glutton for sweat and punishment. And the picture we took makes me feel like I need a new workout shirt because um... inappropriate. Oh and then I couldn't even find Divergent at the RedBox so I just read and watched some of When Harry Met Sally and was in bed by 9. On a Friday. #grandma


We hiked on this ridge that overlooks the ocean and it was just so ugly.


This is the part of the trail we came down. This hill basically goes STRAIGHT UP. I'm amazing neither of us slipped and just rolled down the hill. I feel like it's hard to accurately capture the steepness but just trust me when I say it's STEEP.


I have a few fitness goals for myself that don't involve the scale. One is to be able to do 10 "regular" push-ups (I can do 5 so far!), and one is to be able to run this 1.5 mile loop around my apartment without stopping. I accomplished one of those on Sunday! I ran the whole loop without stopping and I can't remember the last time I ran even a mile without stopping. And I use the word "ran" very loosely because it was really a slow, creeping job, but it wasn't walking and I didn't stop and I got so sweaty and here's a picture of me sweating in my weirdly lit downstairs bathroom.


So, to reward myself, I got a coffee from Starbucks. And then I went to my Grandma's house and ate tri tip and bread and corn-on-the-cob and green beans and watermelon and cake and ice cream and I probably undid all the results from the weekend but I DO NOT CARE. 


Saturday night I made this cake. If you come back later this week I'm planning to post the recipe for the frosting. Trust me, you want to eat this icing. It's like OMFG good. Please ignore my messy countertop. I can't be bothered to do things as trivial as CLEAN for blog pictures. Ugh.


26 comments:

  1. Eeek! Hope your knee is doing better! When we were hiking in Glacier National Park for the fourth of July I fell bad and twisted my ankle. I tried not to be a baby and even went on the hike the next day with an ankle twice it's normal size, so I feel your pain. I also can't wait for this icing recipe - what I would give for some cake in my life on this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile in Florida, this girl finds it certifiably insane to even attempt such a steep hike. That's actually real life? People do this for fun? I have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that nail color. Also you're gorgeous. Love yew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited I found your blog! You are hilarious girl. But I feel you- all things tripping and falling flock to me. Lets be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OW OW OW OW OW OW J, your knee looks even worse up close. I’m really sorry the mountain hurt you like that, it was super rude. And a slow, creeping jog is most definitely still running in my book so I say GOOD FOR YOU, FRIEND. Except no one should look that pretty after running a mile and a half so I’m a little bit mad at you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Kudos for sticking to your hiking goals! Also, I thought you said "watermelon cake" and not "watermelon and cake" and I got really excited for a hot second. PS. Icing recipe pleazzzze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I did something like that once... except I was sitting on the rock and I fell backwards, landed on my back and blacked out for a few seconds. There wasn't any alcohol involved with me either haha. And congrats on reaching one of your fitness goals! One of mine is to do like 5 pull ups in a row. I can't do one right now, but I will eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO jealous starbucks got your name right. Jules seems to be WAY too hard for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, your sweaty awkward lighting bathroom pic? How do you look that pretty when sweaty?! I look like a sewer rat when I'm NOT sweaty from a workout.
    I feel your pain though. I'm the clumsiest person ever. I trip over air and run into walls all the time. My hips have permanent bruises from running into things. I love hiking but almost every one involves a fall of some sort :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. OUCH! EEK!

    That cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl!! LOVE that polish color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to go ahead and second the above comment ^^ because we are all pretty pissed that you look that good after sweating buckets. I mean, yeah, you look like you smell just awful, but COME ON WITH THE BEING PRETTY AND STUFF.

    Also, I should probably paint my nails because yours are always painted and mine are an abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch that looks like it hurt for sure. I hope your knee heals quickly. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I need to hike....but I feel like I might need that cake more, because- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a few things to comment on. 1. OUCH your knee looks awful, but I'm proud of all the exercising you did. ESPECIALLY the 1.5 miles you RAN. Cause you totally ran it. 2. HOLY BOOBS. 3. Gimme dat cake

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know you could have just hit the save button on that snap instead of screenshotting it... Oh, whatever. I'm terrified of mountains and natural trails without pavement so whenever I go on them I just have a strong grip on whoever I'm with and yell "DON'T LET ME FALL" the whole time. So basically, you lived one of my worst nightmares and still lived. You're inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhhh i can't believe you fell! your knee looks so painful- ouch. i hate falling and slipping. in fact, i'm from colorado but have never been skiing or snowboarding because slipping down a mountain sounds terrible. i highly identify when falling over when standing still but get it giiiiirl! well done on your run!

    and that cake....dayuuum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just moved to California in June and yea, I'm like you, such ugly views! HAHA :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. yay Juels! Im so proud of you for running the whole 1.5 miles without stopping! You are amazing, and YOU can do ANYTHING!!! Im so excited for you! Also, I love that tank top you are wearing, can I have it?? thanks :) Please come here and make me cake. Im turning 30 this year, I need you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I mean I just feel like if you lived here we could go hiking together because you're being totes fitnessy and I'm being totes lazy and I feel GROSS.. but I am really proud of you! Also you even look pretty when you're sweaty and its annoying kind of but I still love you. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stay off those knees girlfriend; at least until you are healed.

    Also, that revealing shirt...I know a girl that wears shirts like that to work. And it's an office setting. Just fyi.

    Also, give me that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouch! I love that you got right back in and hiked the next day. You totally made me want to go hike the Hollywood Sign! Gonna wait for the next cool-sih weekend. Also - no problem with the cleavage. Melanie said she knows a girl that wears stuff like that to work... that is me! Well, I don't know if she meant me, but My shirts tend to reveal and I'm quite busty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. One thing you're wrong about is that no amount of food can undo that run (that's what I tell myself) and WHAT A BAD ASS GOING BACK FOR ROUND TWO EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE SLIGHTLY WOUNDED.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for running and hiking and stuff - you're awesome! Also, once you get those 10 real push-ups figured out, teach me how because arm strength is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Every single time I try and do something momentous or brave or even just fun I end up tripping down/up/on something. The worst was right as my fiance was about to tell me he loved me for the first time and I slid right down this hill and then had mud all up my legs and back and it was really attractive, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. would you describe your running as more of a fast-paced walk? because that's how i look at mine.

    also. you're adorable. and your hiking makes me feel like a lazy bum.

    ReplyDelete