Thursday, July 17, 2014

This is my hometown

I live in a smallish town on the Central Coast of California: San Luis Obispo, and it's perfect here. Except for this week because we've been having stupid humidity and it's the worst ever. There are so many great things about SLO that I don't even know where to start so how about I just show you a picture of one of the nearby beaches?


That's in Morro Bay and I know I know I know, this is supposed to be about MY town but Morro Bay is like 10 minutes away and it's basically a part of SLO so please remove your panties from their wad. Moving on.

I don't even know where to begin. How do you write about a town? Honestly, I've been trying to figure out how to write this for like, a solid hour and I keep writing a sentence and then just deleting it. Today is a struggle. I think I just really want you guys to fall in love with San Luis and I feel like there's so much to tell and I don't want to forget anything.

San Luis is a college town, a retirement town, and a tourist hotspot. There are several amazing wineries, there's a great downtown, there's tons of hills and great hiking trails, it's about 10 minutes away from the beach, and we have the sort of famous Madonna Inn. I'm just going to go ahead and bombard you with some pictures.


This is the view from the Edna Valley Winery in SLO. Come visit, we'll go there.


This is from the top of Bishop Peak, which is one of my favorite places to hike. You're looking at Madonna Mountain, which is another hill I like to hike. It's all brown and gross because California is in a drought... usually in the spring it's all green and luscious.

Not my photo.
This is a part of the downtown. There are big trees like this all over downtown, and in the winter they have white lights on them and I love it. Every Thursday evening this particular street is closed off for a Farmer's Market and it's packed with booths and people. You can buy produce, flowers, clothes, desserts, etc. There are street shows like juggling and magicians and one time when I was a kid my dad got picked to be a part of a show and this guy put a carrot in my dad's mouth and threw a knife at it or something. It was really cool and also terrifying.

Not my photo. It's from the goog.
We also have a Bubblegum Alley (^^). It's exactly what it sounds like and it's SO disgusting. A couple of times I've seen drunk people leaning against the walls and it almost makes me vomit.

Fun Facts:

-There a no drive thrus in SLO. They've been banned in order to improve air quality or something. So this means if you want to get a $1 Diet Coke from the only McDonald's here, you have to park your car and get out and walk inside.
-San Luis Obispo is the happiest city in America. Oprah said it so you know it's true.
-We didn't get a Target until 2011 and the closet mall is 45 minutes away and it hardly even deserves the title of "mall" and I don't go there because I'm afraid of getting shanked in the parking lot.
-SLO is like, exactly in between San Francisco and Los Angeles. It is neither "nor Cal" nor "so Cal" and if you call it either of those you will be in danger of getting shanked. It's the "Central Coast."
-You can always tell who isn't from here because they mispronounce the "Luis" part of the name. It's pronounced "San Louis O-bis-po," but the out-of-towners call it "San Louie" and then just butcher the last word (it makes me think of a baby deer trying to walk for the first time when people try to pronounce it).
-It's insanely expensive to buy a house here. Like, redonkulous.
-Zac Efron grew up in a neighboring town. Neighboring as in like, 10 minutes away. 
-Weird Al Yankovic went to college here.
-Alex Trebek fell asleep while driving in a neighboring city and sideswiped some mailboxes a few years ago.
-Leonard from The Big Bang Theory bought property in a neighboring city.
-There's a place called Louisa's where they have bacon waffles. I just wanted to throw that out there.

That's all. You are all officially invited to come visit.
Allieology

37 comments:

  1. I know I've told you before that a guy I dated in college almost moved to SLO (with me) and when we first started dating he said my middle name reminded me of Louisa's and that when we moved there we just HAD to eat there. (My middle name is Louise. Obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really lovely! Sorry about your humidity, but it's hard to feel bad because here on the East Coast that is the summer norm :( But a town filled with good food AND wineries? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm coming to visit you soon. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was right!! My best friend IS from your home town!! I got a little confused at first cuz you just referred to is as San Luis but YAY! Family last name is Burdine. He lives in Florida now but his family still lives there! Also I drove through there on my way from LA to San Fran in March and it was amazing!! And you're right.....we couldn't find a drive through anywhere. But it was the prettiest town EVER! We talked about stopping and walking around the downtown area. But wanted to get to the Seacoast so we kept driving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your town looks gorgeous. I want to live somewhere that you can hike. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only live two hours from your hometown! My grandparents lived there for the longest time, and SLO and morro bay are where we go all the time to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a train (trolley? Amtrack?) that takes you from San Diego to San Luis Obispo. I only know this because I've been fervently searching for ways to get from Solana Beach to San Diego attractions and that popped up.. So now you know.... you are welcome. Eat a bacon waffle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. you sold me on this place by putting winery and beach in the same paragraph. I've never been to California, but it's on my bucket list. What a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bacon waffles? yes please! I will visit just for those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bubble gum alley is def interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad's best friend from childhood lives in San Luis Obispo! I might have to join them on a trip out there just for the wineries!

    Have you guys posted the "Would you rather" questions yet for Day 20? I am trying to write my weekend posts on Fridays because who wants to blog on the weekend?!!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks absolutely gorgeous there! It makes me want a California vacation immediately! I can now add your town to my list of places that I want to go in Cali, the first being Santa Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So that's what SLO means. I'm SLOOO. I wanna visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been to the bubble gum wall - cool and gross all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 10 minutes from that beach?! And a huge farmers market?! Sounds like my kind of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would so visit just to go to the beach, and be back in Cali... I miss it, it was so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. San LEWIS Obispo......no. That can't be right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to call the City of San Luis Obispo a couple years ago for my job and I was like "HEY - first off, how do I pronounce this shit?" so that was pretty fun. It's SOOOOO pretty.

    Bacon waffles sounds like a really great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had me at winery and beaches

    That bubblegum alley gives me hives. Blechhh

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds good!!! http://thewanderlusthasgotme.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/a-year-at-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I am from Santa Rosa, not terribly far from there. I definitely miss it, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved SLO when I was up there last winter! I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alright, just because of those pictures and the words "bacon waffle", I'll be there tonight. See you soon and I expect bacon waffles for dinner. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your trivia at the end because at the very beginning of the post I was trying to figure out how to pronounce your city's name.

    -Jackie
    http://ournashvillelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll come visit!! Invite me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh, it's so pretty! Because, that beach! So, is that invitation for real? I think I need to pay Bubblegum Alley a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you mentioned the no drive thrus thing cause I was waiting for that. But HOLY BATMAN, I wanna come visit there too. I think I called it San Louis Obipso the first time I said it out loud... baby deer, party of one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I just figured out where I want to move to!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohhh I think I want a blate! It's less than 3 hours way, I can make a day of it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. umm, its gorgeous. i think you need to hold a blogger meetup stat.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow it's really pretty there! Sorry about the humidity - we get it a lot so I feel your pain

    ReplyDelete
  32. That sunset. Whoa. And the gum wall?!? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bubblegum Alley makes me want to gag. We have a gum rock on Stone Mountain like half (?) the way up and it's gross but at the same time you're like crap. Anyone have any gum?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love SLO! My parents met at Cal Poly, and they love to take me back and show me around. The whole central coast in general is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Funny story: I met a guy once and when he told me he was from central California, my answer was "oh like Baja?" I'M DUMB.
    I do love SLO though!! I've been a few times and it's so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete