Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Girls can be plumbers too


Yesterday morning I was getting ready for work and decided it was a "gold jewelry" day. Some days are silver, some days are gold, and the split is about 50/50. I was putting the plain gold chain around my wrist when it slipped and right before my sleepy eyes... it disappeared down the sink drain. If you're thinking, "But Juliette, that's just a boring ass gold chain, go to Claire's and get another one!" then I have something to tell you: it's Betsey Johnson and I got it at Nordstrom Rack and I really love it so shut up. As the realization of what had just happened hit me, the only reaction I had was this:


Because I'm not dramatic. And for the rest of the day I walked around dejected and depressed, like all these guys on Arrested Development:


Luckily for me, there are wonderful people in the Twitterverse, and after I tweeted my sad story for the day, Becca directed me to this link which provides a very handy step-by-step tutorial for how to get things out of the sink drain. At first I was like, "Lolololol, I'm not going to be able to do that, it probably requires tools and we all know what happens when women try to use tools..."


That was a joke, please take your panties out of the wad they are in. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that no tools were required for this project. So as soon as I got home I changed into some clothes that could get dirty (I'd never done this before, I had no idea that I wasn't going to get dirty), and then realized I needed a bucket so I took my grungy butt out to the Dollar Tree and got what looks more like a bedpan than a bucket. Then I took everything out from under the sink and found lots of stuff I didn't know was there, like bandaids, baking soda, and a magic eraser. Then I paid attention to the article.


I kept thinking of the J-Bend as the U-Bend and I felt like my life would be MUCH simpler if Moaning Myrtle was in my apartment because I could just send her down the drain. After all, isn't she used to spending her time in the U-Bend? ANYWAY.

Within the first 5 seconds I was ready to give up because one of the slip nuts (hehehe) was too hard (hehehe) to get off (oh my gosh they just keep coming... and hehehe again). So after half crying "Whyyyyyyy?" I gave it my all and off came the nut! Then nut 2 came off and I emptied the J-Bend into the bed pan and my nose was assaulted by the most foul smell ever, which probably shouldn't be surprising considering what came out of the drain.


Maybe I should have warned you that there was a slightly gross picture in this post? My bad. The bracelet is in the top left and I don't know what the other crap was, but it smelled RANK. I'm not entirely convinced that I put the J-Bend back the way it's supposed to go but I haven't noticed it leaking yet so I'm just going to leave it for now. I scrubbed my hands and let the bracelet soak for a very long time and then patted myself on the back for proving to myself that I am independent and I do not need a man... which is good because if I did I'd be screwed because Keith lives 4.5 hours away. But I felt very accomplished and I spent the rest of the night reading Allegiant and then I was in bed at 9pm.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to fix the downstairs toilet because you have to REALLY hold down the handle to get it to flush.

27 comments:

  1. Go you!!! I would have been like well thats lost now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo. This is real good for me to know in case I ever drop anything valuable down the drain. Which I know is just a matter of time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have been able to do THAT! Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOHOO! Good job! I like that bracelet and would definitely go down a drain to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself ridiculously excited when I figure things out on my own. Like the other day the heat indicator was going up on my car and I figured out my coolant was low and leaking. Points for meeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proud of you.
    http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4361512/proud-of-you-o.gif

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never do that! More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for figuring it out. I couldn't do that and would've stopped at the smell. I can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I don't know why but this post had be laughing really loud. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love conquering random things like this! Always makes me feel so accomplished. Good for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super impressive. I don't know if I could have done the same!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got your bracelet back Miss Handy WOman. Where did you get the triangle bracelet? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahah awesome! I'm happy you got it back. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm super impressed because I would have just let the gold bracelet be a goner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bracelet is beautiful! Definitely worth doing some plumbing to rescue it

    ReplyDelete
  16. So when you posted the picture earlier on Instagram, I totally thought you meant that you used some part of something in the drain as a bracelet and I thought "oh cool, that's really resourceful" and now I feel bad that I thought that since it's Betsey Johnson. Oops. But yay for doing all the things with j-bends and slip nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. for the downstairs toilet: open the back of it and check the silver chain that connects the drain to the handle. the chain may be too long so just shorten it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray for you!! Gosh I wish I took initiative and tried to save things but I'd be like it's gone forever... And pout about it for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nick cleaned out my drain in our old house because the water kept backing up and no drain declogging junk would work. What he pulled out was a massive amount of my hair (I blow dry and flat iron my hair over the sink) and it smelled worse than anything I've ever smelled. And now I've been told I have to clean out my own drains from now on. Which is why I never ever do my hair anywhere near my sink now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow good for you, I would have been FREAKED OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am just REALLY proud of you because that looks nasty and I would have said NOPE.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    Emergency plumber Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't see why women can't be plumbers. It's all about industry and learned effort, which are all universal. A bit of assistance should be wise though, since pipes and drains can get all jangled and convoluted. But in any case, if you have the proper materials and skills, you can do it. Kudos!

    Traci Romero @ Harris Plumbing

    ReplyDelete