Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Just a little update

I'm just going to do a random conglomeration of what's happening in life lately because I've tried to write like, three different posts but I'm just struggling today. I can't even blame the delicious margarita I had last night because it's not like I'm hungover. Speaking of that margarita, I feel like I'm maybe sort of getting the hang of taking artsy pictures? Probably not since I just accidentally spelled artsy, "artzy." Yeah no, I'm definitely not getting the hang of being artsy or artzy. I need to remember that it's cool to leave like half of your food or whatever out of the frame, because negative space. I guess I just don't like negative space. This is going nowhere. Are you bored yet? I'm not. I could do this all day. ALL. DAY. Ok not really because I have other things to do but you get the picture. Speaking of pictures...
So, let's see, what's been going on with me? OH. I'm in a wedding at the end of the month and I'm actually pretty nervous about it. It's outside (I think, maybe I'm wrong?) and the bride is being really considerate and wants us to wear wedges for the ceremony so our heels don't get stuck in the lawn. While this is so nice of her, I'm actually really horrible at walking in wedges. They feel super clunky and I fall a lot. Like a couple of weeks ago I wore wedges to work and I fell two different times. One time I fell when I was just standing up. I wasn't even walking. I mean what? How does that even happen? So I'm just really hoping that I don't ruin the whole wedding by falling over. Pray for me. Also I had to measure myself for the bridesmaid dress and that was just depressing and the opposite of fun. Moving on...
Speaking of moving, Jacey is moving across the country for the summer, and it's kind of bittersweet. I've always wanted to live alone so that will be really fun, but it will be weird not to have our girl nights and not to have somebody to go to Target and get toilet paper when I've forgotten to do that, or to have a margarita waiting for me when I get home from work, or another closet from which to steal borrow clothes. But I'll survive, somehow. Probably. Also I'll probably have Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter marathons a lot.
Long distance dating kind of blows chunks. The last time Keith and I dated it was long distance, but I think I mentally blocked out just how much it sucked. We're currently in the middle of a three week stretch between visits, and it's HARD. And I know I know I know, it could be worse. We could live across the country from each other, or have to go 6 months without seeing each other, or whatever. But guess what? It could also be better - we could live in the same zip code, at least. Just because it's not as bad as it could be doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Have any of you ever done long distance dating? Do you have any tricks to make the time go by more quickly? Can we please stop inventing snuggies and sock buns and start working on telebortation or floo powder, please?
Well shoot, this whole post was just one long complaint and that wasn't my intent. But sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest because if you don't you get emotionally constipated and that's one of the worst things ever, or at least that's what my therapist told me five years ago. I'll leave you with a cute story involving a child from last week. She's 5 or 6, and I was wearing ring on my ring finger, and she looked at it and the following conversation was had:

Girl: Is that your wedding ring?
Me: Nope.
Girl: Oh. Are you married?
Me: Not yet.
Girl: How old are you?
Me: Twenty-five.
Girl: WHAT? And you're not married?
Me: Nope.
Girl: It's illegal to not be married when you're twenty-five.
Me: Aw, thanks for determining my self-worth by my relationship status.
Girl: Huh?

Lovely.

26 comments:

  1. OMG I love you. haha. I did long distance a lot in college (except this year) and it's hard. But it won't be forever, think of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes. Someone needs to work on floo powder.

    My husband and I were long distance while we were dating. Then one day I had enough and I moved across the country. Like, I didn't even ask if it was ok. I just told him I was coming.

    -Jackie
    http://ournashvillelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long distance is the worst. Skype is literally the best. I also thought recently about how cool it would have been for each of us to keep journals while apart, then let the other read them so they can catch up on the little things we might fail to mention otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive never had a LD relationship mostly because I am emotionally unstable to handle that lol not really, well kinda.
    I want a margarita RIGHT NOW bc of your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. long distance sucks big time! i'm currently 10 driving hours away from my bf or a $200 flight away! so yeah we only get to see each other about once a month. tricks? i think it truly depends on the people in the relationship. for us, facetime is a god! but nothing truly compares to being with the person! hope it gets better for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Face time is God's gift to long distance relationships! Also, floor powder would be amazing and I need it in my life like, yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it IS hard to walk in wedges. I will be sending positive and graceful thoughts your way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh boy. you know how i feel about long distance.....basically it's the worst thing ever. bf and i are 2000 miles and two time zones apart and i've seen him twice since january. it's awful. we make a point to skype almost every night, for at least an hour or two. we stay in touch throughout the day through texts, and the occasional random call, and we send each other pictures of fun or random things to help feel closer to each other. there is really no way to make the time seem to go faster, i have discovered..it just is what it is. i definitely feel your pain, friend. give me a holler if you ever wanna commiserate. :) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate that you have to do long distance, because it sucks SO MUCH... but it's not forever and May will just FLY BY.

    I really hope you don't fall at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Long distance really does blow chunks. It blows even more chunks when you decide that even though you like someone alot, the distance is really just too much to contend with. But thats a story for another day. Hopefully someday in the very near future you and Kevin, I mean Keith, will live much closer, and the drives will be much shorter.

    Also, where did you get that glass. I'm in love.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry about the long distance. :( Faith is right though, it's only for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dated my now fiancé long distance for 2 years while he was in the military stationed a few states away and only saw him every 3-4 months. My advice is to talk to him every night, but don't make that your only plan of the night. Going out and being busy really does make the time go by much faster! And constant texting sometimes makes it worse because instead of enjoying what you ARE doing, you're thinking about what you could be doing with him. Just my two cents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids are weird. They basically decide whether or not you're a real adult (not a teenager -- which to them might be until you're 30, depending on how young their mom was when she got knocked up) and decide that if you are, you should be married.

    So for the wedding, are you walking in with a groomsman? Because if you are, you can just hold on for dear life and then you'll only have to walk like 5 steps by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have to remember that 25 is ANCIENT to a 5 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the only good thing about LD is that it makes you appreciate spending time with your boo that much more!! The days leading up to when I would see my BF after months apart were literally the most exciting since being a 5 year old on christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny as always! Love the ring story!!! I did long distance a few years ago and I was a wreck I hate every second of it - I always seemed to ruin the visits because I was always counting how much time we had left together - ugh - not one of my best moments. Good Luck and I hope you stay more sane than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha Ha- I had to laugh out loud at the 5 year old comment! Kids are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard Skyping topless is good for long distance relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL Little kids are hilarious. At least that's better than what my little sister told my friend back like ten years ago when she was six. She told him that by the time she'd be old enough to go to a dance (it was the night of our senior prom or something like that), he'd be dead. :D
    xox
    giedre
    ps. Long distance sucks! I only had to do it for a few months, but it's super hard. I found that writing snail mail constantly helped. It was a little weird, because the letters wouldn't have anything to do with our current conversations, but it was so nice to have a physical little note from him come at least once a week. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. granted I'm a fetus in blog world but I did long distance and it was no fun. Also granted he sucked and thats why we are broken up but there are (on the random plus side) really cute apps you can use to communicate with. I know its so different being in person vs on the phone but like Rach said its only for now :-) Also, I second this teleportation invention. STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post because I feel like we were talking in person with all the randomness hahaha
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh good grief (re: the ring conversation). I hope the girl was actually a child and not another twenty-something. I might have smacked her.

    Long distance can be hard. I don't have any tips except do your best to stay connected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl I feel you! Distance sucks no matter how far or how long between visits! I hate to say I'm a pro :( Nick and I dated for 5 years before we got married all 5 years were long distance. I lived in St. Louis that entire time while he was in South Carolina for the first 6 months then Maryland for the last 4.5 years. It.Was.Hard. I only saw him a few weeks a year (1 long weekend in Feb, 1 during March, 2.5 in summer, 2 at Christmas). The military was kind of lame while he was at the Naval Academy. As for tips? I just made sure I knew our next visit so I had something to look forward to. I spent that time planning. We spent lots of time talking on the phone and Skyping. I made care packages and had a blast doing so (probably not something you'll do, I only did this because we went so long without visits and he didn't have a car or access to snacky foods). Gosh, now that you ask me, it's hard for me to know how the crap I did it?! And looking back, I didn't really whine or struggle. Sure, I hated it but I guess it's all I knew with him?? I know that I hung out with friends a lot to take my mind off missing him. wow...I'm so help. Sorry for the pointless comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. my fiance is in Cali and I'm in MD b/c he's in he military. Skype works wonders lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck with the long distance! I was in a LD relationship for almost 2 years and it sucked. Big time. The longest we were apart was 8 months, which was pretty much hell.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you wanna talk about long distance crap I am happy to :) but just a warning...it does not get easier. Sometimes the time will go bu more quickly because you're both busy and preoccupied but other times it will seem like an eternity between visits and you will obsess over it and that will make it worse. BUT at the end of that you get to see each other and be reminded of why you're even putting yourselves through it & it's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete