Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hair and makeup tips and tricks

 I have always loved makeup. In high school when I wasn't hanging out at the grocery store or the video store with Cristen (I was the absolute COOLEST) I would sit in my room and mess around with makeup only to wash it off immediately and go to bed. I watched What Not to Wear and How Do I Look? and basically any makeover show simply for the 5 minutes they spent transforming people through makeup.

+ Eyebrows, eyebrows, eyebrows. Please don't neglect your eyebrows. They can change your whole face! For more proof just read this Buzzfeed post. The trend lately is fuller more natural looking brows, and I am loving it. In the past I've subscribed to the "less is more" approach when it comes to eyebrows... but that was a mistake. You guys. When I was in 8th grade I straight up SHAVED MY EYEBROWS.

If you're not sure how to fill in your eyebrows, well, all I can tell you is to go to YouTube and search some stuff and watch some videos until you figure it out. Just make sure you only fill in where you already have hair. I'm a huge fan of using powder but I've been wanting to try the wax stuff. Pencils have always seemed a little too harsh for my taste, plus if you mess up it's harder to fix your mistake. Just trust me and practice filling in your eyebrows, ok? I took some pictures yesterday of my eyebrows before and after I fill them in. The difference is subtle but I feel totally naked without doing my eyebrows. Excuse the white eyelashes please.
 + Hair. I curl my hair just about every day. I use a 3/4" Conair curling iron but I've been thinking about trying a 1" or a 1.5" soon. Two things have helped me to get looser waves instead of looking like I just jumped out of Little House on the Prairie like this:
 
I'm pretty sure I sent this to a guy in a terrible attempt to flirt.
 One: Once the curls cool, comb them out with your fingers. Do not run a brush through your hair. Just use your fingers and tousle the curls. If your hair doesn't hold a curl very will you might want to use some hairspray before you do this, but I prefer to use hairspray after.
Two: Don't curl the very ends. I leave an inch or two at the bottom out of the curling iron so it doesn't curl. This is something I've notice people with beachy waves do. If you curl all the way to the ends you just look like I do in the picture up there ^^^ and it's not a good look. I also like to think that it saves the ends from breakage. Maybe?
  + Skin. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I don't use any fancy brand of moisturizer, usually just Cetaphil or a cheap Up & Up brand from Target, though I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep that up. Another thing I've learned about my skin is that it's really sensitive to anything touching it. I tend to rest my head in my hands a lot and I touch my chin and that's where I ALWAYS break out: the sides of my chin. Basically it looks like the acne version of Hulk Hogan's facial hair. BUT since I realized this, I've tried really hard to not touch my face as much, and I've noticed a difference! So keep your hands off.

+ In general, just blend. Blend your foundation, blend your blush, blend your eye shadow. Just blend. And then when you think you've blended enough, blend a little more. Like when you make smoothies... you might think it's all blended but it really sucks when you get a chunk of ice in your mouth when you're not expecting it. Don't let anybody see a chunk of ice in your eye shadow.

+ Other
     - You can use a toilet seat cover to blot away any excess oil on your face. Lindsay (who you should be reading) and I have talked about this and I've decided that I really need to remember to take a cover from the next stall I use and tear it into little pieces and keep those in a purse. FREE OIL BLOTTER.
     - In the shower I try to just use conditioner on the ends of my hair. I used to use it all over and massage it into my scalp, but for about 9 months I've switched it up and I can really tell a difference! I'm realizing that there's a very good chance that I'm just an idiot and I was the only person who did that with conditioner, and if that's the case please don't tell me. Just let me feel proud of myself for making the change.
     - You can use conditioner in place of shaving cream. Do it. Love it.
     - Cheez Its are everything. Oh sorry does this not belong here?
     - I love using Garnier sea salt spray. I wash my hair at night and while it's wet I spritz some in and in the morning it holds a curl much better.
     - I also love using Bio Silk silk therapy on the ends of my hair. I drop a nickel sized amount in my hand and rub it all over the bottom half of my hair.

That's all. For now, at least. Clearly I'm an expert because I've watched hours and hours of Carmindy and what's better than that?

What are some of your favorite beauty tips? I love finding out new tips and tricks!
 

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE ALL THESE TRICKS and I want to jump on your sea salt spray bandwagon. Maybe I'll look for it at walmart along with a sex position book.

    Also I probably should have made this comment anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cetaphil lotion! I use it twice a day everyday; it's like my own little miracle worker. Something that you should try for your hair is It's a 10. It conditions, repairs, is a heat protectant and a few other things (hence the "10" part of the name). I absolutely swat by it. I started using it about a month ago and I can totally tell a difference!

    ~Elizabeth
    thefrizzylizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to figure out eyebrows. Actually yesterday I spent about an hour in Ulta wandering looking at different eyebrow products. I settled on a pencil that was a possible dupe for the Anastasia Brow Wiz I've heard such good things about (but is $21 freaking dollars..no way). And I'm one of those people who puts conditioner on their whole damn head. Is that bad? I get a lot of breakage around my face so I feel like it needs moisture. Right? Now if only I could have your beautiful eyes and lashes! My lashes are cringing with jealousy just looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo that picture of you with the curled hair looks like Amanda Bynes. Maybe I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for incorporating the importance of cheez-its - they are truly my beauty secret.
    and as a general rule of thumb I don't trust people with skinny and/or drawn on eyebrows. Never have, never will. I don't fill my brows as they are already pretty dark / full but I always kindly remind the person threading my brows that I'd like them as natural as possible. No fully shapes, just natural please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eyebrows yes! Is it weird that I will just sit and look at a perfect pair of eyebrows for like, several minutes? Probably. But I'm going to disagree with you on just one thing: I think you can put product where you don't have hairs, and totally change the shape. It's just... a lot harder to make it look right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great post, with lots of tips and tricks!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I don't feel like wetting my hair in the morning I'll shower at night and put my hair into a french braid. The next morning when I take it out I'll fluff it with my fingers in it and put curl stuff in it so they stay. If i wet my hair then I try to stay in the house for at least 30 min for the curls to set before they're exposed to the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm too scared to fill in my eyebrows. Come fix that for me, k?

    ReplyDelete
  10. +1 for BioSilk Silk Therapy - that stuff is magic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally got into the eyebrow game last week with Benefit's Gimme Brow, and I'm kind of loving it! (But not as much as I love your picture channeling Laura Ingalls Wilder.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wax stuff is AMAZING. Not on the level of Cheez-its, but still amazing -like sliced bread. I use it every single day and combine it with some dark powder and boom, love. My eyebrow stuff came with a little tray of it in the bottom which I am, of course, obsessed with.

    Also, I must try this conditioning trick. I'll use SO MUCH less and hello, soft ends but not greasy roots. [insert two thumbs up emoji here].

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely trying the trick with the conditioner as shaving cream! I also make a homemade scrub that keeps my legs suppppper soft too. Its just some olive oil & sugar! My legs are so soft after using it. I've also used olive oil and raw eggs as a hair mask and that leaves my hair super soft and moisturized too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eye colour depends to a great extent on the pigmentation of the iris. Normally blue eyes, in addition to the iris pigmentation, are also caused by a factor called the Rayleigh scattering of light that makes the sky appear blue. Low levels of melanin in the iris make it appear dark thereby reflecting shorter wavelengths of light causing the blue color. While eye make-up for all types of eyes is not constant or easy, for people with blue eyes make-up is easy because any contrast color would highlight blue eyes and make them appear beautiful.
    eye shadow tips

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buy American Crew 3 in 1 Conditioning Shampoo with Great Deals & Discounts @Salonsavings. It Detangles, Smoothes, Shines and Corrects Dry, Frizzy Hair also enjoy free shipping over 50$.

    ReplyDelete