Friday, April 4, 2014

Bleeding Blue, or why Kevin and I might have problems

  "It's tiiiiiiiiiime for Dodger baseball!"

YOU GUYS. It's HERE. It's the most magical time of the year and I am the most excited person on the planet! No, it's not Christmas. It's not my birthday. It's not Bacon Day, and I did not win the lottery. IT'S DODGERS OPENING DAY. Baseball is back! I'm done pretending to care about football and I couldn't care less about March Madness (which is due in part to my bracket that collapsed before the Sweet 16), and now it's the time of year that I ACTUALLY care about: BASEBALL SEASON.
And tomorrow, I'm going to a game. With Kevin.
I was raised bleeding blue. I was raised loving Dodger Dogs (even though I didn't have one until I was in college and don't tell anybody but I don't actually like them), insisting that Dodger Stadium isn't "ghetto" but instead "IT IS CLASSIC AND HAS CHARACTER," and hearing people scream LO-DU-CA.
Baseball games are pretty fun because there are usually tons of drunk people around and you can laugh at them. One time we even saw a guy getting high at a game and then he got arrested and that was pretty cool.
 
The last time the Dodgers won the World Series was in 1988, the year of my birth, so naturally I've always felt extra special because of that. I've also felt really thankful that even though I was only like 4 months old when they won, I WAS STILL ALIVE WHEN THEY WON so people can just shut up about how they haven't won in my lifetime.



Because I come from a long line of Dodger lovers (it goes all the way back to my dad, I think) I think a part of my genetic makeup is to despise anybody who claims to love the San Francisco Giants. Seriously. I hate the Giants with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, and I had physical reactions the last two times they won the World Series... which is why Kevin and I might have some problems this weekend.



  Tomorrow Kevin is taking me to a Dodgers/Giants game. I love the Dodgers. Kevin loves the Giants. We are total rivals and we are both extremely competitive. Like, if the Giants win I probably won't talk to him for an hour because I'll be so pissed. And if when the Dodgers win Kevin will just say, "That's nice. Remember the last time the Dodgers won the World Series? No, you don't, because you were an INFANT. The Giants won it two years ago. SUCK IT." Except he probably won't say the suck it part. But I'll still sit there seething and refuse to acknowledge his existence.
 
 
  So on Monday I'll either be in a really really great mood or I'll be more pissed than I've ever been in my life.
 
**EDIT: I just made a bet with my boss: If the Dodgers win this 3 game series against the devils Giants then he has to buy me two tickets to a game at Chavez Ravine. My choice (muahahaha). If the Giants (somehow) win this 3 game series, then I have to keep a Giants bobblehead on my desk until the Dodgers win their next series against the Giants (or until the regular season ends). SO MUCH IS RIDING ON THESE GAMES.
 
Are you excited for baseball?
How much do you hate the Giants?

11 comments:

  1. Yay for baseball! I hate the Giants as much as I hate the Dodgers. San Diego representtttt. Even though we’re not that great. This will be our year! Or the Yankees year. I’m fine with either rocking it. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you being a Dodgers fan from last year now...says the sore loser Braves fan haha :) OH rivalries in relationships are tough - but totally manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Canada and we have one team (Blue Jays) so I've never had a relationship rivalry but my advice is to just get really drunk I'd they start losing and then it won't sting as bad. That's my healthy coping mechanism anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate sports, especially baseball, and that includes the Giants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOOOOOOOVE BASEBALL!! i seriously did a happy dance on opening day!! have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad baseball season is back! Born and Raised RedSox fan, over here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like baseball, but I don't have a team. I think if my state had one I'd be more into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving that baseball is back! Just like you, I am born and raised baseball fan, Yankees fan specifically ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up bleeding Blue, too. And SO happy baseball is back! I don't even pretend to like any other sports, it's baseball or nothing for me. :-) I actually live in San Diego now, but I have a 20 game pack to Padres so I get to see the Dodgers at least a few times a year.
    I can tell you that Dodgers and Giants fans can co-exist. I don't know if you follow the Spohrs, a blog by a Dodger fan MARRIED to a Giants fan and they have made it work. They do have rules for their kids, though... See this post - cracks me up every time... (http://thespohrsaremultiplying.com/family-and-friends/on-her-eightg-birthday-she-must-choose/) All 3 of their kids have worn that 1/2 and 1/2 jersey. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete