Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's been four years

March 12 holds some serious significance for me. Let's talk.

On Christmas Eve 2008, my junior high Sunday School teachers and high school youth leaders hatched a brilliant plan to set me up with their nephew. Long story short, we met, talked via Facebook wall posts until 4am every night for a week, spent New Year's Eve together, and then two weeks later we were Facebook official.

Facebook Official. It's such a big deal that both words need to be capitalized.

We took a blurry first picture together on New Year's Eve while we were making Oreo balls (giggle giggle) at his aunt's house. That night he helped me break my record of how long I'd been awake by bringing me poison Mountain Dew and shaking me whenever I started to doze off. I kept inching my hand closer to his on the couch, doing that girl thing where you're like "here's my hand why aren't you holding it, can't you take a hint, dude?" thing. We sat next to each other on New Year's Day and watched the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl, and talked and talked and talked. And he didn't even care that I had stayed awake for 24 hours and hadn't brushed my teeth or my hair since the day before. When he left that evening I was miffed because he hadn't asked for my number.

But apparently he already had it, and if you asked me I could recite verbatim the very first text he ever sent me. Don't worry though, I won't put you through that.
 
We lived four hours away from each other, but we made it work, driving to see each other on as many weekends as we could, taking full advantage of our time together. When we weren't visiting each other, we were texting, Facebook IMing, or talking on the phone for 8 hours at night (yeah that happened)(more than once)(go ahead and vom).

We said "I love you" for the first time on a beach at midnight after wishing on a shooting star.

He was there for me during one of the darkest periods of my life.

He got me into It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I got him into Bridezillas.

When he got an internship that summer in a city 30 miles away from where I lived, it felt like the heavens were opening and angels were singing... but in Southern California it can take 3 hours to go 30 miles on the freeway, so sometimes it still felt like we were dating long distance.
He was a Giants fan, I was a Dodgers fan, but somehow we worked through our differences, and I will always be thankful that the Giants never won the World Series while we were together, because I most definitely wasn't mature enough back then to handle his gloating without pouting in a corner over how royally Russell Martin was sucking.
We went mini golfing with his family and I hit his mom in the crotch... you've heard that story.
You've also heard the story about when I met his dad... remember the hickey/scarf incident?
  

Everything was great for a long time (or what felt like a long time in college), and our families were constantly talking about when we would be getting married. We were both still in school so we didn't feel the pressure to take that step any time soon (or maybe we did, I can't remember) (yeah no, we totally did).

 
The last time we saw each other when we were together was Valentine's Day, 2010. I had been bothered about something and it sort of ruined our weekend together, and when he left to go back to school we were kind of mad at each other.
Then, on March 12th 2010, I called him and broke up with him. And then I cried. And I cried. And I cried.
I could write post after post after post about why we broke up, how it affected me, and what I learned in the four years since I made that phone call. I could tell you all the reasons I had for breaking up with him, and I could tell you about how much it sucked going to church and hearing his grandparents talking to me about him.
But I won't.
I have other things to tell you about.
Like how we've been going hiking together.
 

That I told him about my blog. He still doesn't get it, by the way. But he's coming around to the idea.


And I've already told you about how I drove 4 1/2 hours to visit him over the weekend... and how I actually like his dogs. Which, if you've been reading for a while, you know is a big deal because I am not a fan of dogs.


Four years ago today we broke up.

Four years ago I didn't think we'd ever talk again.

But here we are, dating long distance yet again. Another time I'll tell you the story of how we got back together, but for now let's just all say hi to Kevin, and keep your fingers crossed that one day I'll tell you his real name.
 

48 comments:

  1. I might vom.. but from happiness for you of course. But still, vom. Love you, mean it. BYE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and love that you're happy!!! Hey "Kevin," stick around for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg omg i love this!! i read this like did he die? honestly i know that's bad but i just felt like something tragic but now i'm happy. this makes me very very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I was wondering the same thing...and it all turned out so wonderful!

      Delete
    2. OMG I kinda thought something along those lines too.. but I can't wait to hear how you got back together, this is exciting!!

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute story. I hope it works out for you two, because you are cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww what a cute story! Totally had me wrapped all in it and you dropped that bomb! Awesome! It's weird how things work out…but I'm a big believer in timing. I know some people might say it's a bunch of BS…but if things are meant to happen, they'll happen. Just might be sooner than later. Might be later than sooner. Ya never know. Awwwww

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I will be over here...gushing. This was just too sweet and I HOPE IT WORKS OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DON'T MIND ME JUST CRYING MY EYES OUT. Juilette ... this is truly, truly one of the sweetest stories that I've ever heard. God does crazy things for crazy reasons. And I'm so, so, so happy for you and Kevin (I LOLd as I wrote that). Seriously....what an encouraging story. I'm going to try and stop crying now (most likely wont happen) because this is such a happy and loving story. GAH JULIETTE WHYYYYY? WHYYYYY? (Caps just for you) WHY YOU MAKE ME FEEL ALL THE FEELS

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow i love this! congrats girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like him a lot, mostly because he made you like dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome awesome awesome post! Such a plot twist!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally wasn't expecting this ending, so perfect. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story!!! I hope it has a fairytale happy ending someday. Yay Kevin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOO I did not see that coming! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The timing on this: impeccable. I have always believed that magical things happen in March, you two just proved that point even more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. UGH HIS NAME ISNT KEVIN HOW DO YOU THINK OF NEW NAMES FOR THESE DUDES. I mean I cant even say tell me your ways because all the guys I date are from tinder and don't last for more than two months (max) an hour (minimum). I alway wonder if I'll ever get back with one of my exes or someone I fell in love with, was dramatic, and still think about time to time yet we never dated. It's crazy how life works...SO HOW DID YOU START TALKING AGAIN.

    Seriously I'm so happy for you! I love these types of stories ok thnx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know you guys had such a history! Aw how sweet you two are back together again :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ummmmm. Cutest. Story. Everrrrrr. I can't wait to hear the rest of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah! Didn't see that coming! Excited for you and can't wait to hear how y'all got back together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww I love this! You guys are so cute! I'm so happy for you :)!!

    Kristin
    Crumbs & Curls

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um, I might have died a little at the cuteness! Congrats and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love always find a way! Your story is so special! Good luck and so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you've named him Kevin, because think of all the possibilities for home alone references.
    Also, this is a sweet and exciting story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww so cute! So aweseome you two found each other again. Good luck to you two!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yessss, I love reconnecting love stories. So hurry up and tell the story of how you got back together!!! Please :P AND then move back to Southern California because, well just because. Happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. YAY! I'm so happy for you!!!! I kind of like the anticipation of not knowing names though... and for you, I think that the one should just be "Romeo"
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness this is so amazing!!! What a great story - so happy for you!! Seriously I just can't get over how many times I Awwwed at this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. aw, how sweet! what a great story and i hope things continue going well :)

    xo. jenn @ hello, rigby!

    ReplyDelete
  28. STOP this is too cute. I met my husband when I was in high school and we did the long distance, break up, get back together stuff. It worked out perfectly. I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG This is the sweetest thing EVER!! Glad when things work out! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun fun :) Best of luck! Dating long distance is hard but if it works out then it'll be so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Totally teared up while reading this and then totally smiled at the end! Talk about an amazing story. This gives me hope, I've been dating My Guy for 4 years and we have been in a long distance relationship for the last 2 years and this are really rocky right now. I really hope that no matter what happens, happiness like this comes at some point (sooner or later). This post gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seriously woman! You made me on the verge of freaking tears before I read that he didn't die! :| . But anyways I like this Kevin person ! He made you like dogs... Yay! :) and you are happy. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stoooooooooooppppppppppppppppp this is so cute. Congrats you two!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shut UP. I love this so much. I don't even know you and yet I feel really excited about this. I'm creepy and I'll admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The only thing that makes me happier than reading a blogger's love story is reading one like this that makes me grin from ear to hear and kind of gives me goosebumps. Congrats on the new(ish) relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I know I'm late to the party and all, but this is SOOOOOO sweet. It's like straight out of a Hollywood romcom! Totally rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi everyone!!!

    I'm so excited share this testimony here about how i got my ex husband back after a break up. I'm Clara 28 yr old from USA, Am a woman who love and cherish my husband more than any other thing you can imagine on earth continent. My husband was so lovely and caring after 3 years of marriage he was seriously ill and the doctor confirm and said he has a kidney infection that he needed a kidney donor, that was how I start searching for who can help, doctor has given me a periodic hour that he will live just 24 hours left, that was how I ask the doctor if I can be of help to my husband that was how he carried out the text, the confirming was successful, I was now having this taught that since 3 years now we got married I have not be able to get pregnant can I be able to get bring again? That was the question I ask the doctor, he never answer his response was did you want to lost your husband? I immediately reply no I can't afford to lose him. After the operation my husband came back to live and was healthy I was also OK with the instruction given to me by the doctor, after 3 months my husband came home with another lady telling me, that is our new wife that will give us kids and take care of us, that was how I was confused and started crying all day, that was how my husband ran away with his new wife cleanable. Since then I was confuse don't know what to do that was how I went back to the doctor and tell him everything, he told me that, this is not just an ordinary it must be a spiritual problem that was how he gave me this Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com that I should tell he all my problem that he can help that was how i contacted he and I do as instructed. After 28 hours and I have done what he ask me to do, my husband start searching for me and went back to the doctor, that was how we well settle he also told me not to worry that I will get pregnant, this month making it the fifth Month I contacted he am now 3 months pregnant. These great spell cater is a great man,
    if you have any kind of problem you can contact him here on his
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call him +2348160153829
    Save Your Crumbling Relationship
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/818/748/544/

    ReplyDelete