Friday, February 7, 2014

We could have fed an army

Yesterday Jacey and I were having some friends over for a potluck dinner. Usually I just make some break and bake cookies for potlucks, but yesterday I had that feeling that EVERYBODY would be bringing dessert so I wanted to make some actual food. The problem was that I'm really only good at making meat sauce spaghetti and I just really wasn't feeling that, so I didn't know what to do. But then, THEN, THEN the world smiled on me and Whitney posted a recipe for chili and it was raining yesterday and I was like, "OMG chili is such a good meal for a rainy night plus that chili looks easy so I'm pretty sure I can make it without burning it."
 
So I went to the store and got all my ingredients and my pot ready and that's where my problem started. I was at the sink trying to open a can of corn and I was struggling more than I've ever struggled with a can opener and when I finally opened it I was like, "This corn looks really weird," and I looked at the can and realized two things: 1) I had opened the can from the bottom which was why I was having such a big issue, and 2) I had gotten CREAMED corn. I mean, I don't have anything against creamed corn, but I don't want it in my chili. So I sighed a big annoyed sigh to let Jacey know how irritated I was, growled a little bit, and ventured back out into the rain to get a regular can of corn.
 
I went to Trader Joe's and it wasn't successful. Also it was really busy because it was 5:30pm.
 
 
 
 
So I went to Food 4 Less (a store I hate because it's like Ikea and it tried to force you to go through the store a certain way and it just seems really bossy to me so I try and not obey the rules every time I go there), got the corn, and made the most delicious chili I've ever put into my mouth hole. Seriously. Make it. The recipe is RIGHT HERE.
 
So I made this huge pot of chili, Jacey made this really good pita bread to dip in hummus, we had brownies, and other people were bringing stuff too. There were FOUR of us total. FOUR. Four GIRLS (I only say that because girls never eat as much as boys, don't dispute it, it's true). It made me think of this ecard.
 
 
Because LOOK at all this food. And this wasn't even all of it. There were like 30 pigs in blankets in the oven, brownies cooling on the stove, a GIGANTIC pot of chili still simmering, and ice cream in the freezer. You guys really should have come over. We had SO much food leftover. SO. MUCH.
 

And everybody said the chili was amazing and I said I MADE IT FROM SCRATCH and at first they didn't believe me but I showed them all the cans in the recycling can and then they believed me. So thank you Whitney for the recipe and also thank you for posting a recipe that makes so much because now I'll be eating chili all weekend and I love that plan.


OH I almost forgot to do #backthatazzup.
What a TRAVESTY.


 photo ScreenShot2013-06-23at112320PM_zps46bb1b5d.png

20 comments:

  1. I'm smiling like a whore who just got saved at church.
    Also, I'm sure my invite just got lost in the mail, but I WILL be attending the next one of these little soirees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! That's a lot of delicious looking food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY INVITATION?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That food spread looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooooo I think those are chicken nuggets in that one container and who ever put those in the oven and warmed them up and brought them to the potluck is the winner of all things in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I make spaghetti I look at the dried spaghetti in the box and think "that doesn't look like too much" so I make it all. And it ends up being a shitton of spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd flirted with making this chili but now that it's a snow day and I'm stuck inside I'm definitely making it! Woo-hoo for a grocery store 2 blocks away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spaghetti meme is my life. Like its just me and Boomer who the frack am I cooking all this food for?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still not-so brave to cook on my own, hello ready to eat frozen meals! And those nuggest look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This all looks delicious! Also I can cook a lot of stuff besides stews/chili because I always mess it up, so I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE chili during the winter :) and stew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, this all looks absolutely scrumptious!! :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah! I neeeeedddd to have a pot luck! Such a good plan! You're a freaking genius, but duh! you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU LINK TO A RECIPE DAMN IT.
    ahahhaah i love you and i also love chili a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are those chicken nuggets? How were there any left over? I will eat those things even if I'm stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really, really wanting to try that recipe! Since you said it was such a hit I am going to have to make it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness why didn't you call me? Hashtag will travel across the country for delicious chili. Or really any kind of food. The whole spread looks ahhhhmazing.

    ReplyDelete