Wednesday, February 19, 2014

So you've never actually been to a real school before?

No. I've never actually been to a real school. I was homeschool through high school and then I went to a small private college. Ok. I know what you're thinking. No trust me, I know. You think I'm a homeschooled jungle freak who's a less hot version of Regina George, right?

Well, I wasn't a jungle freak. We don't even HAVE jungles in California. You'd probably know that if you were homeschooled. Ahem. Anyway. For the most part I loved being homeschooled. Sometimes I hated it, because I never got to pass notes in class (although I did have an imagination and I'd sit at my desk in my room and pretend like I was in a classroom and pass notes to myself) and I never got a locker. I REALLY wanted a locker. Even though I don't know how I would decorate it because the only male celebrity I could think of in middle school was Ricky Martin.


BUT, it was great because while you were busy being at school looking presentable at 8:30 in the am I was busy being at the kitchen counter for breakfast at 8:30 in the am and hardly even being awake. Our rule was that we had to be "dressed" for breakfast, and if we weren't then we couldn't eat anything until noon. My siblings and I got around that rule by throwing on a sweatshirt over our pajamas and coming to the counter for breakfast. I'm sure my parents knew what we were doing but they followed the whole "choose your battles" rule. And I'm glad they did. But trust me, there were a few mornings when I didn't wake up in time for breakfast because I was too tired from staying up late reading in the bathroom and I didn't feel like waking up for breakfast.
 

 
Also I had a 9pm bedtime until I was like, 15. Also when I got in trouble my parents threatened to not take me to the library. But like I said, not a jungle freak.

Anyway, where was I? Whenever I tell people I was homeschooled I usually get variations of the same few reactions:
 
"But you're so NORMAL!" Thanks. I try. I never know whether to be flattered or offended by this question.
 
"How did you have any FRIENDS?" Um, this cool thing called opening my mouth and talking to the other kids on the block or playing sports and interacting with regular human beings. Also my county had several homeschooled families and we'd all get together and have our own classes. Cooking classes, research paper classes, art classes, sewing classes... and this one time we got to all have fake wounds put all over us so we could help a hospital practice how they would act during a mass tragedy. Look at my cool yellow shirt and leggings.

 

 
"Did you like, grow up on a FARM?" No. But I did go to this lady's house and feed the calves with a bottle on several occasions.
Did you know that technically a "heifer" is a cow who hasn't given birth yet? So hi, I'm a heifer.
 
Instead of going to school for 6 hours a day, we could finish our work as quickly as possible and on most days I was only working from about 9:30 to 12. After that we had to learn how to entertain ourselves before our friends got out of school. We got pretty creative, like one time one of our rabbits had babies and the dad rabbit ate all the babies except four so we took the four in the house and brought the mom in every 4 hours to feed the babies. 


We played games...
 
And eventually I decided to become and entrepreneur and I had a lemonade stand and sold lemonade to all the tired and thirsty kids as they were walking home from school. I was pretty successful and I think one month I made a whopping $17.
 
Other common questions:
 
"Did you go to prom?" Yes. I begged and begged my parents and they finally let me go with my friend Kim. After prom somebody told me my picture was in the school newspaper and everybody was like...

 
"So you didn't have a graduation?" Oh no, I did. It was in a church and my graduating class was three people. They played pomp and circumstance and I got a diploma AND EVERYTHING.
 
 So let's recap: not a jungle freak, got to sleep in, didn't miss out on "regular kid" activities, had lots of friends from our homeschool group and sports, and passed notes to myself in my bedroom to feel like I was a part of a classroom. Also I had a secret boyfriend when I was 16. He was 23. It was totally scandalous and that's another story for another day. 
 

22 comments:

  1. This post fascinated me. Really, it did. Only because as a former public school high school teacher I saw how kids interacted with each other and I knew I did NOT want my future [annoying bratty] children turning out like that. Wait, what?

    I THINK YOU'RE NORMAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal is as normal does, and at this point, what the hell is normal? We're all weird and it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most intense lemonade stand ever!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I love hearing about different schooling experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, can you tell us the story of your scandalous 7 year age gap boyfriend next? I'm intrigued..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who is quoting mean girls is a FRIEND OF MINE. That's really cool...homeschooled.....
    No really, thats cool! I totally wouldnt have mind trading in some 6am wakeeups to be learning from the comfort of my own sofa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really really interesting! Thanks for sharing! I have only met 1 other person (when I was in college) who was homeschooled and I have to admit that I asked her some of the questions you brought up in this post! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a kick ass lemonade stand! I think it's awesome that you guys got to do stuff that may not be considered "normal" like dress up in wounds and sewing classes (I still can't even sew a button on my clothes) AND go to Prom and have a graduation! Perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BUT YOU'RE SO NORMAL.

    I love that you were homeschooled... primarily because it's so weird to me.

    The fact that you used mean girls GIF's throughout this entire post = sheer perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Mean Girls quotes. Also, my husband (and his 3 siblings) were homeschooled up until their freshman year of high school. They are all totally normal people and definitely aren't "jungle freaks" either, haha! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was homeschooled for almost all of my school years and I AGREE WITH THIS ENTIRE POST.

    ReplyDelete
  12. seems like homeschooling > public schooling .

    THANKS MOM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to home school my kid. He's not even a year old, but I really want to. And I was a high school teacher for 7 years, so I know what it's like "on the inside". Granted, I taught in inner city Brooklyn NY and also inner city Washington DC. I'm sure my little guy would be going to a "better" school. Despite that, I do a lot of reading up on homeschooling.

    One of my biggest concerns was that he would be kind of a weirdo (heck, I'm a weirdo, and I was publicly schooled), or you know, not be able to socialize with other kids. Now, I don't know you personally (meaning, outside of your blog), but you seem really cool and outgoing and fun and well-dressed and educated. I see some of the other commenters saying something similar to you, and it gives me even more confidence in my decision to one-day homeschool.

    Really engaging and interesting post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha I wasn't home schooled but when I got in trouble my parents would come in my room and box up all my books and take them away and I would be SO MAD because that was the worst punishment they could give me

    ReplyDelete
  15. So you like, have never been to a real school? That's so fetch. Sometimes, my brothers and I would beg my mom to homeschool us so we wouldn't have to go to school. In my current job, I work with homeschool and public school kids side by side, and there's really no difference--you get little you-know-whats and you get sweethearts in every bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i went to a real school...and i didn't have a locker like the ones you see on tv. i got one for pe and it was a small cubby to store my sweaty clothes in for the week. and that lemonade stand...legit. how did you ONLY make $17 with that kind of getup?!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too was homeschooled, everyone and their neighbor though I was a jungle freak and, like you I am not (whether I'm normal or not depends on who you ask). Anyway I love this post because it's definitely almost exactly like me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really wanted a locker in high school too. Schools here don't have them - or didn't use to have them, because when my sister got to high school, they got lockers! I felt so cheated. :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. That lemonade stand is legit! I remember being super excited about high school because we got real lockers. My elementary school just had cubbies... lame. If you ever have kids do you think you'd home-school them? I realize that may be a play it by ear circumstance I'm just always intrigued by people's opinions on the subject. Ps. I like the Mean Girls references :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never known anyone who was homeschooled. Now I do. I used to be punished from reading by having to spend time with my family - ugh! I definitely hid in the bathroom reading on multiple occasions.

    TELL US ABOUT YOUR SECRET BOYFRIEND.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was homeschooled for a while in elementary and loved it! My private Christian school closed so I was home schooled for the rest of the year, then eventually went to public school. And I really want to know about the secret BF.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Imma needa hear about your secret 23-year-old boyfriend. Hashtag scandalous.

    ReplyDelete