Thursday, April 25, 2013

Why should I worry?

Last night we had our weekly Bible study. We are currently going through a book about how to deal with anxiety and worry. Last night's verses were from Matthew chapter 6, verses 25-34. 
Let me share a few with you.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear."

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."


~The sun setting over the Pacific Ocean at the edge of Morro Rock~



We went around the room and shared different things that cause us to worry. 
Not surprisingly, they were very similar.
-Money-
-The future-
-Relationships-
-Evil in the world-

And how is it possible to not worry? Doesn't worrying about something show that, on some level, you care? We decided that the word 'worry' was throwing us off. 

"Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do, but you won't get anywhere."

Worry is pointless. I agree with that. Worry is sitting in a corner obsessing over something but not doing anything to fix it. So we differentiated. We like the word 'mindful'. Being mindful of a problem gives the idea that you are assessing the situation and taking steps to resolve it. Worrying is assessing and assessing and assessing with no steps toward resolution. 

I can be mindful of the fact that I have bills due, and save money to pay them, rather than going on a shopping spree or eating out six nights a week and then worrying about what to do when the bills come and you spend all your money.

I can be mindful of the fact that eating six packs of Reese's peanut butter cups will make me sick and cause my pants not to fit me rather than eating them and worry about how to make my stomach stop screaming in pain at my dumb decision.


~The Pacific Ocean in between Morro Bay and Cayucos~


After some more talking, we shared times in our lives when we have been worried/anxious/mindful about something (usually a bill payment coming due) and God miraculously provided exactly what we needed at exactly the right time. This has happened to me more times than I can count.  My mom has always told me,  "I can't wait to see how God works this out!"
It used to drive me nuts.
But now, I get it.
God does have cool ways of working things out.

~God's artwork over the Pacific Ocean~

His ways are not our ways. And last night, as I was driving home, I noticed this beautiful sunset in Morro Bay. I drove over to the beach and snapped these pictures (thank you AFTERLIGHT!) and took a few minutes to think about how big God is in contrast to how small we are. 

He has never failed me.
I fail Him day after day.
I worry even though He tells me not to.
I worry even though He has proven He will take care of me.
I become forgetful and forget that He is by my side.
And yet, He still loves me.
He loves me.

And I will never worry about that, because that will never change.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post - for the record.
    I know it's old (It's taken me a while to catch up - I just found your blog yesterday!) and it's more serious than your typical blogs (which I LOVE. BUT that being said - it's honest and meaningful. You can fail Him daily and He will always love you.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously needed to read this. I had my first, ever, anxiety attack two weeks ago - about money. I'm trying to convince myself not to worry and just deal with it as best as I can. Mom told me the same thing, just see how God helps and handles this. It was one of those things where I just rolled my eyes and said "yeah, yeah" but ever since that moment I have been surviving and I don't NEED to worry about it. I'll make it through.

    ReplyDelete