Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Motivation

     I'm really good at being motivated .... for about 2 weeks. After that I lose it! This happens with a lot of things: hobbies, fitness, goals ... WHY is this??? No clue. But it's something I've become more and more aware of lately, and something that I really want to change. The two most immediate areas are: my quiet times with Jesus and fitness. In that order. The quiet times I've actually been doing very well on, and for more than two weeks! In fact, during lulls in my day (driving, doing dishes, folding laundry) I find myself talking to God rather than thinking about anything else. This has been AMAZING. I used to marvel at people who would talk about how they could just talk to God as a friend, and now I'm realizing more and more how that could be possible. God has also been showing me just how well He knows me, and knows what is best for me. I love my Jesus.

     Fitness is a totally different story. I am so BAD at staying motivated! For two weeks I'll do great, then I'll lose momentum for a day or so and I'll just totally lose focus! Why does that happen??? That's next on my list of things to figure out. I do have some ideas though.
     Usually I go to the gym with a buddy. On days when this doesn't happen I try and go to the gym by myself. This doesn't always happen, but when it does, it isn't as effective as it could be. This is because, primarily, I'm too intimidated by others to focus the way I should on myself. I've started using free weights (which I LOVE) and I haven't tried to do them by myself yet, but I don't know that I'll be brave enough! Isn't that silly? I get so nervous that someone will come up to me and say, "You're doing it wrong! What are you even doing here? Go use the elliptical. Oh wait, you can't, you fall off of that thing." So silly of me.
     Eating better is ALSO difficult, mostly because I don't have self control when it comes to food. I can't limit my intake of desserts and sweets, so I try to cut it out cold turkey. This works for two weeks, but then I eat a cookie and think, "Screw it. EAT ALL THE COOKIES!" And then it's just a downward spiral. On Monday I started my healthy eating and exercise routine, and then YESTERDAY (Tuesday) the 5 boxes of Girl Scout cookies I had ordered arrived. TALK ABOUT TIMING. So they're in my cupboard and the freezer, unopened, taunting me. Jerks.

     Anybody out there have any tips on staying motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment